What would you call a Dungeons & Dragons type skill system for RPG Maker?

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by Frogboy, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm setting up a system that closely resembles Skills from Dungeons & Dragons 3.x, Pathfinder RPG and pretty much every other d20 table top game. All player characters will have a set of universal, out-of-battle stats that represents how proficient they are at various tasks. They will be able to build their skill set up however they choose by applying points in whichever skills they want to be good at.

For instance, there might be a Lockpicking skill. They don't just have the ability to pick locks or not pick locks, they have an aptitude level. Maybe they aren't skilled enough to pick the lock on a particular chest or door yet but later on will be able to if they keep improving that skill. Maybe it's not a difficult lock to pick and even the fighter who spent a few points on it is able to. Perhaps a Bard has a Perform skill that allows them to make extra money at the local tavern based on a Perform skill check. Great!

My only issue is, what should I call this mechanic? "Skill" is obviously already taken so I can't use that. I was going to call it "Talent" although I see now that some popular games use this term to represent skill trees and I'm not sure if this will confuse or upset people.

So what do you think? Should I stick with Talent? Is there a term you like better? I want to get the community's opinion on this as I'm pretty close to done with this plugin and if I'm going to change the name of it, it's now or never.

Thanks for your feedback!

InkPotion and Garge like this.
  2. Extazee

Extazee Elite Shard Hunter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "Proficiency"? I definitely see this term valid in a system like this as it kind of determines how proficient the character is at a certain task.
    Other valid terms: Efficiency, Expertise.
    Courtesy of Thesaurus.

Frogboy likes this.
  3. Dirge

Dirge Sound Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Proficiency makes me think "weapon proficiency" though. I like "Talent", despite the association with talent trees. "Profession" might work.

Frogboy likes this.
  4. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought about Proficiency but was trying to avoid it only because I'm using that term to describe something else. A class can have proficiency with a talent/skill which gives them a bonus. This is to ensure that some classes have better overall potential at talents/skills that line up with them. A thief will always be a better lock picker when maxed out than a fighter would be. If I used Proficiency, I'd need another name for what I just described.

Extazee likes this.
  5. Extazee

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, makes sense. In that case, "talent" is probably the best bet.

Frogboy likes this.
  6. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah so you're straight-up using the D&D terminology, but you're stuck for what to call Skills ... well, why not rename "Skills" to "Abilities" or something?

Frogboy likes this.
  7. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep, it's pretty much a straight rip from D&D and Pathfinder. It's configurable in a way that both version will work if you're trying to replicate one over the other or a combination of both. It's a subtle difference.

While I certainly could for one of my games, this will be a plugin that anyone will be able to use. I already have the functionality baked in to allow a dev to rename this to whatever fits their game. I just need a default name for this system.

I thought about Abilities. It's probably second favorite so far but could be confused with or too similar sounding to Attributes.

Edit: Actually, I'm not doing the two points for one rank that D&D 3.x does. I am allowing you to set the max rank higher than the character's level, though.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  8. 10kk

10kk Parallel Process irl Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mastery / Masteries?

Canini and Frogboy like this.
  9. Dirge

First Language:
    English, German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Actually yeah - go for "proficiency" as the basic skill ability and "mastery" for what is currently called proficiency!

Frogboy and Extazee like this.
  10. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, Skills of the Trade?
    Skills of Choice?
    Frogboy's Skill Specialization System .050.1a (or whatever it's patched to meow)
    D20 style skill simulator?
    Meow?

Frogboy likes this.
  11. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What about Crafts? It doesn't necessarily refer to creating items; it refers to a particular task or job.

12. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Proficiencies (with or without Mastery)? I like it. I would be good with this.

Do you guys like this better than Talents (with or without Proficiency)?

@shockra Crafts is a good suggestion but I feel with the popularity of crafting systems in RPG Maker, it's probably best avoided.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  13. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Of those two, I personally think Proficiencies (with or without Mastery) is clearer, if you're going for something that has various levels of skill.

"Talent" to me sounds like something you either have or don't have.

Extazee, Frogboy and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  14. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That sounds good.

Anyone have anything better than Proficiencies? That appears to be the leader at the moment and the one I'll go with otherwise. I will probably have this plugin ready to ship in a day or two so don't hold back.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. You have been most helpful.

Extazee likes this.
  15. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mastery insted of Proficient sounds fine for me, it's easier to say and to remember as well.

IDK why but most players may think that raising them may unlock perks, in your case, feats. It's the GURPS syndrome

Made too much edits on my post lel

Frogboy likes this.
  16. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, the one think I don't care for with the name Proficiencies is that it's a longer word with a lot of syllables. It doesn't quite roll off the tongue or is as memorable as something like Talents or Mastery.

My biggest concern with Mastery is its usually reserved for when someone is "one of the best" which won't be the case for when you only have a few ranks in something. At such a point, you're just better than the average person as opposed to a master. Far from a deal breaker, though. These ranks represent a level of mastery/proficiency/talent/skill/training and as I just said, even a single rank puts you above what the average person can do.

Proficiency is the word that best matches the meaning but probably the worst one as far as branding is concerned. People aren't going to inherently remember Frogboy's Proficiency system. Frogboy's Talent or Mastery system just seems like it would stick in your mind better.

Sorry everyone. I'm doing a lot of thinking out loud in this thread.

I do plan to have add-on plugins for this. My Level-based Traits plugin might work nicely as a version re-purposed to work with these ranks. If you build up your swordsman ship, your hit percentage could go up. You could gain new skills as you advance your ranks. You could build up your strength in elemental attack power or resistance. That could make for a very dynamic system with just a couple plugins.

Hey, thanks for the idea! :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Garge likes this.
  17. Extazee

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Frogboy
    What about "Vocation"?
    Meaning: a trade or profession.

18. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Vocation is good as well. Profession would kind of work along the same line. It might make people think that it's specifically tied to an occupation, though. While you could certainly use the system as such, I don't think I want people to think that is the intended purpose for it. It would be a clever way to rebrand it. Great for flavor.

Extazee likes this.
  19. Extazee

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, my vote is on Proficiencies or Vocation honestly. Can't think of anything better, really.
    EDIT: Can you drop a link to the plugin when you're done? Would love to mess around with it.

Frogboy likes this.
  20. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Expertise and Finesse also fits in, i guess

Canini and Frogboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.