What would you call a Dungeons & Dragons type skill system for RPG Maker?

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by Frogboy, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it is a "plugin' system, I like Frogboy's Vocational Discipline System.. Hmm, disciplines sounds good. World of Darkness used disciplines as the name of their special abilities.

(also @kovak 's forum picture looks like he's really mad! Meow!)

kovak and Frogboy like this.
  2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    @kovak
    Expertise is pretty good.

Vocation is good too to but a potential problem is that the Dragon Quest series uses vocation for what is commonly called a job system. As for name suggestions, how about aptitudes? Capabilities?

kovak likes this.
  3. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, since this thread bumped it's way back up to the top of the New Posts, I might as well issue an update. I settled on a name and that name is ... the one I started with: Talents.

Before you get mad, let me explain. :)

When I started this thread, I kind of thought for sure that a system like this was probably already made popular before in an earlier version of RM or something. I figured everyone would chime in and say something like, "Oh, so-and-so made something like this back in the XP days called <insert name here>. If you use that name, everyone will know what this plugin is". What I found out from all of your feedback is that there doesn't appear to be any established name for such a thing, just about everyone has their own preference and there's no real consensus of what it should be called.

And this is perfectly fine. My plugin has parameters that allow you to completely rebrand this system into whatever name and function suits your game. If you want to call it Proficiencies, Mastery or Vocation, you'll be able to do that. Want to turn it into a Virtue system like Ultima had and call it that, the option is available to you. Want to call it Personality and use it for a dating sim, you'll be able to.

Because of this, and because I have 2 plugins that consist of thousands of lines of code all currently using the Talents name, I'm just going to keep it that. It'll save me a good amount of time retesting everything to make sure I changed all of the instances of Talents, talents, talent, tal, t and so on to the appropriate equivalents.

I do thank you all for your suggestions. Even though I didn't change the name, it was very helpful and helped shape some features to make sure that it was flexible enough to cover a lot of different uses. I ended up adding a bunch of features that I originally wasn't planning to so it's taking a bit longer than I originally estimated but it shouldn't be too much longer now. I'll still post a link to the plugin release thread when that's up.

Garge and kovak like this.
  4. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So we won't have a sneak peek, right?

Frogboy likes this.
  5. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's a sneak peak. This is just a small sample of what this plugin can be used for.

snap_a1.png
    Build up your talents by applying points.

snap_b1.png
    Give your players things to do outside of combat by making talent checks to perform various actions.

snap_b2.png
    Would prefer better odds but the worst that can happen is Harold will fall and take a little damage. Might as well go for it.

snap_b3.png
    Success! Harold nails it.

snap_b4.png
    Harold easily climbs up the vines to obtain the contents of the treasure chest.

6. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm in tears.

Frogboy likes this.
  7. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What kind of tears? Is that good or bad?

If you or anyone has any questions about how this system works or if it's able to do something you are interested in, ask away. I think I thought of just about everything but I might have missed something or another. There's still a small window that something can be added in before release.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    kovak likes this.
  8. Garge

Garge Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    A few questions.
    Will we be able to use these in damage formulas?
    Will the talent lines be able to award the actor skills/trait increases for reaching certain levels in them? i.e from your screenshot: Harold raises Arcana to 10 and learns Magic Missile and +20 Max MP.
    Will this plugin be able to limit the max level of individual talents of an actor or class?

Frogboy likes this.
  9. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good tears, @Frogboy , they are good ones.

Will i be able to add states who increases a talent's rank/ bonus/ score?

Can i add custom formulas to determine each rank/ bonus/ score?

Can a trait be added or a parameter be increased based on a talent's score?

Frogboy likes this.
  10. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks really nice!
    It should really help increase the possibilities of story-telling in a wide variety of games.

Looking forward to the release (only when it's ready, of course).

Frogboy likes this.
  11. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Q&A

Will we be able to use these in damage formulas?

Yes. Already implemented.

Will the talent lines be able to award the actor skills/trait increases for reaching certain levels in them? i.e from your screenshot: Harold raises Arcana to 10 and learns Magic Missile and +20 Max MP.

Yes, with the help of my extension plugin that enables talent based traits. Just about anything you can grant with a trait can be awarded when an actor reaches a certain talent rank, including attributes, skills, skill groups etc. It's pretty much the same thing as my Level-based Traits plugins but uses talent ranks instead of levels to determine which traits have been earned.

Will this plugin be able to limit the max level of individual talents of an actor or class?

There are two configurations for this. One works like D&D 3.x Skills where the max ranks you can apply to a talent is equal to the actor's level + a number that you input. The other configuration allows you to set a strict maximum value for max ranks.

Will i be able to add states who increases a talent's rank/ bonus/ score?

Yes. States, weapons, armor, items, actors, classes and races can apply bonuses and penalties to talents.

Can i add custom formulas to determine each rank/ bonus/ score?

As it is now, the ranks are either what the player assigns to each actor or what the game assigns to them. The TALENT ADDRANKS plugin command can be called from the editor to manually assign these in case your system applies these a way other than player's choice. So if you do a Virtue system like in the old Ultima games, you'd have the decisions and actions the player takes raise or lower the different Virtues. The Bonus is extra modifiers that are attached to weapons, armor, items, states, class proficiencies, actors and races. The Score is just the final talent score that's used when performing talent checks it's the total that the bar represents. There are editor plugin parameters that allow you to hide or show any or all of these columns to suit your game.

I don't yet have a way to auto-calculate talent scores by level. This pretty much just turns them into Attributes and there's several plugins out there that do this so didn't really see much of a use case for this. I can look into adding it if it's something that would be useful, though. If you're talking about auto-calculating these another way besides level, you'll have to elaborate some more on that.

Can a trait be added or a parameter be increased based on a talent's score?

Yes, I answered this one above.

I have a question of my own. Is anyone interested in helping me beta test this plugin? The more testing and feedback I get, the better it'll be when it's officially released (and you'll get to play around with it sooner).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    kovak and Garge like this.
  12. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm in, really.
    I've been wondering how i'd emulate most of this using mini-games and then you came up with a miracle.

Frogboy likes this.
  13. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tomorrow.

Garge, kovak and Aloe Guvner like this.
  14. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    HOLY TRINITY

15. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    -"How do you want to do this?"
    -"In javascript"
    -"Oh...."

how are you handling the spell slot allocation though?

16. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gstv87
    Not sure what you mean.

17. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    D&D doesn't use MP, but a number of spell slots.
    every time you use a spell, you expend a spell slot (of which, you have a specific amount, per level) and if you don't have the required slot level you can cast the spell at a higher level which sometimes increases the effect of the spell.

and there's also cantrips which don't require spell slots.

18. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, this has nothing to do with DnD skills.

19. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @gstv87

I have a list of "ideas for plugins" on my radar. The Vancian magic system is on that list. It falls outside the bounds of this plugin, though, as you may want to use my Talents system without using spell slots. It would be unwise of me to try to make a single plugin that attempts to recreate d20 as a whole. But making a series of plugin that add different elements of d20 and allows a dev to pick and choose what they want to add is part of what I'm looking to accomplish. What I plan to release later today will get you pretty close. Vancian magic is a piece that's still missing which is why it's on my list. A fancy race/class/gender character creator is another. I might also retrofit my Level-based Traits again except make the traits player chooseable with certain restrictions in order to create a Feats-type system as well.

I'm certainly not done. The Talents plugin is pretty massive and very customizable, though. I really don't want it to get much larger in scope than it already is.

Garge likes this.
  20. kovak

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Frogboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.