What would you do with an event-spawning script?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Shaz, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know there's one or two already out there, which I haven't taken a look at yet.

What use would you have for a script that lets you spawn (reasonably) unlimited events that will last until you leave the current map?

You could use it for things like cutscenes where you want blank events for NPCs that will be controlled by a "master" event, but for that, it's already easy enough to just add blank events to the map.

The best use I can think of is for something like a shooter or tower-defense type minigame/puzzle, or a dungeon where monsters just keep coming after you.

What other things could you do with it?

2. Ossra

Ossra Formerly Exhydra Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mm, well, one could create a particularly active area, where NPCs are constantly entering and exiting (i.e - a busy alley market, etc). Randomly adding in bird NPCs or other animals with 'gather regions' where the creatures congregate until the player gets close could be another example of usage. One could add in and place random 'trash' or clutter tiles, as well (i.e - papers on the ground, etc).

Sure, you could add blank events onto the map, but that does add clutter. Dynamically generating and even dynamically assigning a specific or random move route would be wonderful. What would be even nicer, is not requiring a 'master' event at all, generating an NPC on the fly. Well, I think that would be neat, anyway.

3. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    evasion events, such as a room where boulders are randomly falling,

custom uses where pressing a button would have the player throw something on the map as a decoy to distract other events. Though I have a system in place now, I would love to use an event generating script. The problem is, I'm not sure how it would go about checking events that have just been created.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Enemy generators - as long as the Generator events exist, new enemies are spawned at timed intervalls. Those generator events would get pictures and names for things like wolves den, ghost grave or so on, and the player would have to reach those points and disable them to clear the map.

(anyone remembering the original Gauntlett arcade game, not the later versions?)

5. kerbonklin

kerbonklin Hiatus King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Slightly the same as Andar, time-interval re-spawning Enemy events that roam around (touch-based Battle Processing)

6. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Maybe XAS?

===

Actually I like Exhydra's idea, entering/exiting NPCs and such, although it needs a good controller script.

I spawn premade NPCs for some things, like for teammates representations and vehicles (since XP doesn't have vehicles).

You can spawn events for animations too (or just making an RPG::Sprite instance and giving it an animation, then destroying the animation).

There's also the Mob generation. Creating enemies from a list of archetypes, then combining certain characteristics. I dunno if it has something to do with event-spawning, maybe for the event commands list generation and movement behaviour.

Maybe a Roguelike? Or a "gauntlet-like" as Andar said.

Pretty much anything related to procedural generation comes to mind,

Orochii Zouveleki

7. pawsplay

pawsplay Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was contemplating such a system for Quest for Yltimus, to use for overland map spawns with event touch battle processing. In the style of Ultima: Exodus

8. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Respawning enemies.

Maybe projectiles so you wouldn't have to hide events on every single map if you can shoot anywhere.

Falling objects.

Appearing objects so that they won't start causing lag until after they appear.

9. Deep Thought

Deep Thought Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is EXACTLY what I need for my action/roguelike project. I've got boulder traps handled, but I need projectile weapons.