What would you like your main character be?

XinChao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Male = Smart, cunning, pure heart, dumb, weak often require additional helps, very strong as warrior leader...etc?

Female = Smart, naive, slow, weak, strong...etc?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Male = Doesn't have a strong power like other party member. But he's very cunning, tricky and smart (Strategist).

Female = Mentally strong. Even though, she has many problem in her life, she doesn't show any tears. (It's good if the main hero is be able to unlock her secret). Have a short hair (this is optional)

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Male = experienced and confident, able to make decisions under stress with finality in order to protect those in his care. Main vices: despises true responsibility and duty when it is not his own choice. Obsessed with freedom and willing to die (or pretend to die) in order to obtain it. Also has a soft spot in his heart for children.

Female= a prodigy that has gone very far in a relatively short time due to her talents. Strong but domineering leader with social hangups due to a past relationship with a man who avoided all responsibility including those needed to make relationships work who then 'died' on her.

These are two of the protagonists in the game I'm developing, they each play independently and don't join forces, in fact they have opposing goals for the majority of the story.

Arin

Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Male = A sort of carefree, wandering spirit, who loves to gorge on food, but when the going gets on, he's down to earth serious. Naive, would be a good word to use here.

Female = A battle-hardened veteran of war who has her share of scars. Portrayed as cold and distant, she is headstrong and independent, not relying on anyone.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Male = fat, bald, old and ugly

Female = same
If I was an artist I would have my male protagonist be unattractive yet still have those leadership features that you never see unattractive people with in media...when I was fat the steriotypical fat guy must be evil or a bumpkin really annoyed me... I'm not fat anymore but it still bothers me that that is how they are portrayed in the media while pretty much casting any other type of person in that light is now either racist, sexist or classist...

Last edited by a moderator:

SLEEP

grunge rock cloud strife
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
emglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I was an artist I would have my male protagonist be unattractive yet still have those leadership features that you never see unattractive people with in media...
what about your woman one too, conventionally unattractive women in heroic roles are even more rare...

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
^It's not that I'm against that it's just that it wouldn't fit the context of the game and her character... she is a bit of a seductress and tends to treat men the way an 'uncouth rogue' type usually treats women. Since the types of men that get used like that usually only see physical characteristics when they look as it is that would not work out very well...

Reynard Frost

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Whatever fits the story. Do your job and come up with an interesting character. Don't make a character that just pleases people, come up with a character someone should care about.

If you can't come up with quality characters on your own, then you need to work on that. It's pretty important in this genre.

Pugh95Bear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Male = A sort of carefree, wandering spirit, who loves to gorge on food, but when the going gets on, he's down to earth serious. Naive, would be a good word to use here.

Female = A battle-hardened veteran of war who has her share of scars. Portrayed as cold and distant, she is headstrong and independent, not relying on anyone.
So any teenage boy that you put in armor and give a sword, and any female character that acts like Lightning (FFXIII).

I'll be honest, I thought Lightning was awesome, but a little *too* distant. I felt that by the time they actually explained her story, it kinda bored me because of how much they dragged it out. So I guess the only thing I can say on this is be careful when developing a character like this. Don't wanna bore the crowd with something extremely cliche either.

------------------------------------------------

My own response:

Male - a lot like Dart (Legend of Dragoon), Cecil (FFIV DS) or the lead Protagonist of Shining Force. They're friendly and quick to help, and are obviously strong. Their lives are linked to a mystical weapon. The white mage always seems to have a thing for them. Optimistic.

* this is all if we're all talking about just human types. Otherwise, I claim the smart alleck Dwarf from Sacred Gold.

Female - If she is the lead, then i'd say something like... Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, duh.) Smart, wealthy, sexy, and adventurous.

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
male- evil, coniving, and has a love for wine, cares for none but himself, takes what he wants and has a lust for beautiful women

female- read male

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Male: like Thorin from the hobbit, only less brooding. Lol, and kinder... I like strong, rugged, determined but kind male characters.

Female: happy-go-lucky and kind no matter what.

To be honest, I have no idea, I just write the characters as they come to me, though I have begun to notice a pattern where my women are always very strong minded and determined and take charge much more than the men do, while still wearing awesome dresses and being 'women' (I believe I am basing them off my mother lol, in a good way)

But for a young heroine, normally happy-go-lucky, because its the mode I'm most familiar with.

Momo_Mccloud

Crusader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C++ & HTML
Primarily Uses
Man = Not that handsome but too much cool!

Woman = Smart and also beautiful and protective on the party 

Probotector 200X

Probotect and Serve
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Male = Shy and timid, wears pretty dresses and has long pink hair. Skilled at healing magic.

Female = Tough and rugged, ripped muscles and wears camo gear. Dual wields SMGs.

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Moldable. It's more fun being able to determine who your character is, instead of being told "Here's your character; have fun with him."

Palsa

General of Aurda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Likeable: if the player doesn't want to relate to them, then they wont care what happens to them.

XinChao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Ehem! if you can tell me your gender then that is another story because males tends to favor their male character as strong lead and female character is there to assist while females commonly have male character as someone silly and naive than the female character is there to protect him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trauma, drama, llamas--sadly the only one of those things I'm not experiencing RN is the camelids.
Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dat-Writer