What're peoples' thoughts on the MV RTP?

Do you like the art direction of the RTP in RM MV?

• Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Tortletalk

Tortoise pace
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I think the RTP does look visually appealing overall, I think the sprites look cute. Obviously, depending on the game you're making, that might be a bad thing.

I will say some of the tilesets look a little too blocky for my tastes.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Compared to VX Ace, which came before it:

• Character sprites are downgrade, looking less cute. I also feel like the resolution is just unnecessarily big for an engine that's made to make retro style 2D RPG's. VX Ace's 32x32 was probably the highest they should've gotten up to for the default graphics, instead of the 48x48 for MV/MZ.
  • Face generator is a massive upgrade. VX Ace's faces were nightmare fuel in most cases. Meanwhile, MV's generated faces are kind of generic, but they look fine and get the job done without looking awful.
  • For the actual drawn facesets, both are a mixed bag to me. Some good, some bad. Not a fan of how many VX Ace characters are drawn with their mouth open. With MV, the main thing that I don't find appealing is the colour scheme of a lot of the hair, but overall I find them a little better than VX Ace's.
  • For the overworld, I'd say MV's is better done, but I don't like how blocky everything looks. I really hope they'll add in rounded corners in some new version of RPG Maker, because the blockiness of the ground tiles is killing me.
  • Enemy battle sprites, I'll also give to MV. I like that the RTP heroes all got enemy artwork that also looks great. The way enemies are drawn works better for either first-person view or side-view, while VX Ace is primarily for first-person view only.
  • MV is the first modern RTP with side-view playable characters, and boy, do they suck. The stupid looking chibi heads take up like 50% of the cells, making it hard to see any movements in the body. They just look so cheap when put next to the well drawn enemy battle sprites. I can't believe they kept these for yet another round in MZ. RM2K3 did side-view sprites right, doing way more with way less pixels.
  • For the music, I don't like how overly electronic a lot of VX Ace's music sounds, but I still think it's got a good collection of songs (it's also gotten very nostalgic at this point). But MV has some bangers VX Ace just can't compete with, and overall just sounds like higher quality (to me, who knows literally nothing about music).

On its own, I find the MV RTP pretty good, for a default package to work with. My main complaints are the big head character sprites for both the overworld and in battle, and the blockiness of the tileset (though, this is a modern RPG Maker RTP issue, not just MV). You've got so many pixels to work with in MV, there's just no excuse to go with the chibi style sprites and have the head take up 50% of the cell. It was understandable in the older RPG Makers that had lower resolution to make it easier to recognise different characters at a first glance. This is similar as to why Pokémon Diamond/Pearl original sprites looked fine, but when making the game in 3D on a modern system, going chibi looks dumb and cheap.

Last edited:

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Compared to VX Ace, which came before it:

• Character sprites are downgrade, looking less cute. I also feel like the resolution is just unnecessarily big for an engine that's made to make retro style 2D RPG's. VX Ace's 32x32 was probably the highest they should've gotten up to for the default graphics, instead of the 48x48 for MV/MZ.

I can't speak for VX Ace, but if MV's RTP were at least to the same level of quality as Square's PSP remasters of 2D Final Fantasy games, it'd justify the high resolution. Like, the Grid Map Tiles released as official DLC recently do look this good, so I know the RPG Maker devs can put in the effort if they feel like it.

ffiv-143.pngffiv-436.pngffiv-1318.pngffiv-1877.png

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't speak for VX Ace, but if MV's RTP were at least to the same level of quality as Square's PSP remasters of 2D Final Fantasy games, it'd justify the high resolution.

If they made good use of the higher resolution, then sure. But if they're just gonna keep on making the same style chibi sprites, I don't see the need for upping the resolution just so they can squeeze in an extra layer of shading on the balloon sized heads. I prefer a lower resolution, because it makes it easier to edit or create assets for. The higher resolution, the more time it takes to fill in all those pixels and to make it look good too.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The art style of the sprites is okay, they look clean compared to MZ's sprite. Although I don't like how they make they eyes, it lacks soul. However, I think they knock it out of the park with the battle backs and enemy battlers. The enemy designs are so imaginative and intricate.

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not its convenience or its flexibility, but the way it looks in and of itself?
Usefulness is an aesthetic of beauty. Practical application aside, that just leaves size, color, and proportion. It's hard to form an objective opinion.

Let's see. There's the inconsistent 3/4 view projection of the tileset. For example, if you have a circular fountain, the top plane will be distorted to something between 3/4 or 1/2. By itself the fountain looks fine. But putting something else circular next to it that has a different planal distortion...it's looks bad.
I'm not sure who makes Rpg Maker's tilesets. I'm certain the character sets are made by Y-Pot. They hire freelance artists to work under them anonymously. I don't think there's a lot of talk between them.
I love MV's painted tiles.

I like the digital airbush look on the battlers. It's very easy to replicate at any scale. For comparison, Hayami Rasenjin made the battlers for RMXP, and even if you took a character he made outside of RM, to make a battler, you'd have to figure out the mysterious post-production processes that was applied in order to match rest of the battlers. Which is to say, it's not a challenge to draw your own work to suppliment Rasenjin's work, it's a challenge to make Rasenjin's work match Rasenjin's work.
The "HD" XP battler DLC , btw, is not Rasenjin's work. It's kind of ugly. Like someone took that battlers, ran it through some upscale algorithm and made a few touch up around the faces.

Shikamon

The Fateless One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
for basic fantasy rtp, MV kinda weird, they have very unique "god" design on their RTP, weird skeleton dancers enemy or zombies with spoon and fork lol. I don't remember they have beastmen or dwarf character too like ones from VX ace. I kinda prefer with DS or FES style, it's simple but great overall.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyzerKiba