RMMV What’re the Limits of Menu Plugins Available?

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A bit of a weird question... or series of questions, really.

How much customization to the “menu” (where you have the Actors, the Save, Equip, Inventory, etc) can be done via plugins? Here’s where I’m going to get weird on you:

1. Can I make it look like an old book? As if every time you went to it you were “opening a journal” (I don’t need an animation).
2. Can I make it not like RMMV but like, say, the OG Zelda (or Link to the Past)? (i.e. drop down pre-formatted options)
3. Can I change what information is displayed? Can I change how it is displayed? (I.e. numbers instead of progress bars, or portraits replaced with custom Actor art)
4. Can the menu be completely disabled? (i.e. for in game location required save points or terminals)

I’m just trying to get a feel for what’s out there and what’s possible. I’m playing with all kinds of settings, switches, variables, and seeing what kinds of things I can do (I’ve almost completely stopped working on my current project as a result... mainly because I realize it isn’t a “fully realized game” and just use it for testing purposes). The menu is currently what’s got my attention. I know about what Yanfly’s video shows, I haven’t bought the plugin yet, and I was just wondering what is possible currently.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
anything is possible as the code is completely open and can be changed in any way.
however you won't find many such plugins directly available because the publically available plugins are for general use, and too many specific changes are not.

for a lot of your wishes you would have to request a specific, custom plugin that follows your specification, and that is usually paid commission work instead of free general work.
Which is why the results are rarely public.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can I make it look like an old book?
Yes.

Can I make it not like RMMV but like, say, the OG Zelda (or Link to the Past)? (i.e. drop down pre-formatted options)
I don't know the game, but I will assume yes.

Can I change what information is displayed?
Yes.

Can I change how it is displayed? (I.e. numbers instead of progress bars, or portraits replaced with custom Actor art)
Yes yes yes.

Can the menu be completely disabled? (i.e. for in game location required save points or terminals)
Very much yes.

Do note that a very complex menu can get an even more complex workaround to do so. For example, a circular gauge bar can be complicated to code than a linear gauge bar. It can be done by providing a sample image of each gauge bar state from 100% to 0% as a stupid workaround that works.

As Andar said, you need a personalized plugin to do so. A public plugin is usually for general use. And even if there is a complex menu maker such as SRD HUD Maker can get complicated to use (and that is only for HUD).

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also note that the menu can be disabled via the Change Menu Access event command, no plugin needed~

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made a single based actor menu (in spoiler (MC) but the link is
curently removed of a dead link, and re-upload it else where).

as for my save scene, I use a specific one found here go to "Spoiler: Design"
last 2 images are mine design for save scene.

so you can see what can be done with the save plugin.
Keep in mind, that using images = COMPLICATED, but endless possibilities
how the plugin is been made. (in case you need one)

as for the menu as well, but equip is almost done (still need to finish it).
but there is so many possibilities.

keep in mind as well, using my plugin can have compability issus with YEP
plugins, specially item core and other menu target parts.

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wasn't asking for anything specific, I was asking what was possible... and since anything is possible, that is exciting!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just evented my first minigame, no plugins~ :kaojoy:
I feel still screenshots don't do my game justice. the characters don't move, but the filter over them does...
Wonder if this year, there be more MZ plugin than MV or that MZ is still small compare to whole MV collection
Zaj
Hey morning all! I got another quick question..I just switched to RMMZ from VX Ace..so I am wondering why default scripts(is that how u call it) of VXAce is available, but not in MZ's case? How do I figure out ahh I mean could you show me
Sometimes im the biggest fool alive... Ah well, ce la vie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuCaRoCa