ethervagabond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been working mostly on my laptop and I had my resolution set to 1110 x 624, which I think looked fine. But recently I got back my desktop which has a much better GPU (not that it makes THAT much difference for my game) and my 22 inch monitor, so I looked at changing my resolution to 1920 x 1080. It looks good, but it makes the game look, I feel, a little ridiculous, there's so much visible on the map, and I would have to rework all my maps too, as I'm putting multiple interiors on a single map, and at 1080p, the other pieces of the map are visible. Not that that would stop me from using 1080p, if I decide I think it would be good.

What resolution do you guys use? What do you think that the max resolution an RPG maker game, with pretty standard, partially RTP graphics, should have? Do you guys think 1080p looks good? Or do you prefer a smaller resoultion?

tiabuni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Banana
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The base resolution for my game is 1080p, with assets (hand) drawn large enough they can easily be resized to 4K. The downside is that it doesn't look that great on tiny screens such as smartphones, but that is not the target platform for my game, anyways.

Now if you are using default assets, having a large and modern resolution might not be the greatest idea, unless you want very tiny characters in a very large world, or if you plan to stretch the sprites - which might be a bad idea, I don't know, but not every kind of pixel art looks good stretched.

Anyways, I don't care much for the resolution when I am playing a game, and considering there are well selling games such as Omori, using both a 4:3 perspective and a smaller resolution, it is really no indicator of sales. Making sure your game looks good, attractive and not generic is more important.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There have been a few threads about this, including the original discussion with Yanfly's calculated reasoning, which many people agree with.

Something to keep in mind is that aside from the disproportionate amount of visible map, the larger your resolution the more it affects how assets such as animations, battle backs, etc. are displayed.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For all the Yanfly reasons: 1184x624. I also like 960x540, but any height less than 624 simply doesn't work with the GENE tool for MV (not supported). As far as editing your game, I think 1080p is best, I have tried with a higher resolution, but tiling isn't as much fun when the tiles are that small.

ethervagabond

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For all the Yanfly reasons: 1184x624. I also like 960x540, but any height less than 624 simply doesn't work with the GENE tool for MV (not supported). As far as editing your game, I think 1080p is best, I have tried with a higher resolution, but tiling isn't as much fun when the tiles are that small.
Oh yeah, the editor I'll keep on 1080 lol

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.
Finally, I have graduated from college and now I can put a lot more work into my game, after having not worked on it for the better part of a year.
post so i can change my profile picture ^^
Creating Some art for a fighter game.

Finally was able to record the rest of the game demo! I added some edits here and there, this is why it takes me so long to do stuff cuz I find a problem and have to fix it asap. x.x
Game: https://dj990j.itch.io/region-of-mythos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleezyretro