What's better; Tile or Nothing....

SlaveOfThaMind

Game Developer / Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure how to name thie topic and keep it short, sorry, thats what I came up with though.

Here is my question.

When creating a map with black border - for example - an interior scene, I am using black to give the area a border/illusion that you are really inside, you see the walls around you but you dont see the entire landscape outside through the walls.

I would like to know which method for creating the black border would be faster on the game, and/or make the overall size of the game a small percentage smaller. Would you use a black tile, or an empty tile with no parallax background set?

Having used both, I really dont notice much of a difference but, I like having the black border made from a tile just a bit more than the other option.

This is for the simple fact that you can create an illusion of a lower/sub level through a collapsed floor.

Below is a mapshot of this instance in action.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/a4yq1Pd.png[/IMG]

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For interior empty space, I'd stick with the auto tiles that have a black center. But around the outside of a room I'd say use the ceiling border tiles to outline the map and leave the rest blank since it defaults to black in game. To me, that's the cleanest look you can get. Plus, you could always add a parallax to give some color and still have the blackness within the interior empty spaces.

Latest Profile Posts

BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.
finally got footage of my main character running around the main hub world. I've fixed a few things tho even since this video unsurprisingly lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ristopaasivirta