What's everyone's favorite frog?

frogs_r_cool

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Mine's a pacman frog. They look like they just dgaf.

A little more about me:
I've been quietly appreciating RPGMaker since the '95 version, but I've been out of the game for a while.

I'm a software engineer with expertise in javascript (mostly write Typescript these days), and would eventually like to work with designers/musicians/artists on an MV or MZ project. While I learn the API, I'll probably just make some plugins or help random people on the forums.

I'm especially interested in implementing backend systems for networked / multiplayer games retaining RPG Maker as the primary interface for creating the game. I realize there are some existing open source efforts to MMO'ify RPG Maker and I may take a look at those, but I'm also going to take a stab at rolling my own stuff.

I do have some limited game dev experience, mostly solo 3D stuff:
- First ludum dare entry where I made everything from scratch during the competition. Someone said my hamster looked more like a cow anatomically and I can't object.
- A FUN firetruck game made for a 4 year old who dunked on me by saying the hamster game wasn't fun.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I really like tree frogs; they always seem so curious and the way they move is incredible.

green-tree-frog-on-a-pink-calla-lily-paint-by-numbers.jpg

I really hope one day I get to see one of the blue or glowing varieties!!

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you've got a good background, and strong programmers are usually in demand on project teams!

I will say, however, that RPG Maker is not the greatest middleware engine for stuff like MMO's; it really is better for single-player RPGs (and puzzle games, and adventure games, and similar genres). Some other middleware engines give you the basic tools for connectivity, so that you don't have to build everything from scratch.

Funny story about the 4 year old. It's great (and sometimes really scary!) how kids can offer their unfiltered opinion - perhaps the only place in this world you'll ever get such brutal honesty from a friendly face. :D

frogs_r_cool

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Wavelength - I was really hoping someone would say tree frogs.

Re: RPG Maker as connectivity middleware - Completely agree, but that's part of the allure!

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Frog my fav frog! :wub Close second is the frog from that old Barks story in Donald Duck, where they compete with frogs that leap super far... and Donald's champ frog shoots off like a rocket heading for orbit! :biggrin::biggrin: Dunno if that's a real frog or not, but anyhoo, welcome to the forum!

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Poliwag! It's still a tadpole though, so of that doesn't count I'd go with the bullfrogs whose noises where freaking me out on my first night walks in japan.

But yaaaay new forum member!!!

frogs_r_cool

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@coucassi - There are no wrong answers, unless you answer "horny toad" because a horny toad is actually a lizard. And toads aren't frogs either.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just remembered I had four african darf frogs as well, when I was a child. Haha, now I miss these little guys.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have a favorite frog but I thought I'd share that someone made a frog sprite for a somewhat recent contest. I'll go find the link and edit it into those reply. Welcome to the forums!

EDIT: Here is that frog character entry. I think it's really cute.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1623528827049.png
Ah yes. Just the reference I was looking for to use for my portrait. Thanks Google.
BCj
Made a logo for Mana Star :D
330bb1fde7bb06b13e23fefd83501163.png
it's e3 season again..!
Today is a day of optimizations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xescar