What's everyone's work process like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diarist, Mar 11, 2019.

1. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Panic & Paranoia for about 2hrs before I start, chronic coffee drinking, a moment of relief & then finally development...for about 20mins

Siaakra likes this.
  2. PeanutButterToast

PeanutButterToast Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay so I think I got it. First I spend 2 hours fighting my anxiety and doubt's, then get hyped up on caffeine and nicotine. Then I start making areas with tile sets, and question my decisions when it comes to dialogue and story choices.

Am I doing it right?

LycanDiva likes this.
  3. LycanDiva

LycanDiva Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Step 1: Rough story idea and character designs. I don't go and write out all of the minutia of a story, just the main plot points and general tone. However, the most important part of the game, the driver of the story, is the characters and their personalities. That's how I write my books too, so my style is a bit on the spontaneous side. I basically put my characters in the world and situation, then I go, "Now, what would this character do/say? And what would that character do/say in response? Or what would happen to this thing as a result of these actions/words? Would these two get along?" and so on. So, in a way, once I decide on my characters and setting, the story mostly writes itself.

Step 2: Maps, database, and simple events. I make a world map, then the towns and dungeons, one by one. As I finish a town or dungeon, I put in major events first--Key NPC's, shops, key items. Finally, I put in minor events like general townie NPC's and treasure. At this point, I also make any items I'll need for that section, like new equipment, new key items, and any next-level healing items.

Step 3: Enemy and battle balancing. I start creating the enemies and balancing them to be not too easy and not too hard, just right. A normal encounter in an RPG (in my opinion) should not last more than 2 turns per enemy at most. The way I play, I have my party gang up on one enemy at a time and systematically destroy the enemy party, using magic strategically so that I don't run out by the end of the dungeon (this is why I don't like AI controlled party members in RPG's, they don't use proper strategy and they love to waste resources. It's a mechanic that needs to die in a fire, then have its ashes scattered in an active volcano.)

Step 4: Cutscenes. That's the toughest thing to get right, so I do those toward the end of dealing with a section of the game. It requires maps and special enemy encounters (boss fights, mini-bosses, etc.) to be engineered first, so I don't need to worry about trying to scramble with everything.

And, yeah, that's my general workflow...

PeanutButterToast likes this.