Triacular

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I look online for RMVXA scripts, but I hate it when it's like Click here for the script and it's a massive download with more steps than necessary.
I get it if it's something engine changing like an ABS plugin, but it's usually not.
Yes I have checked if it's MV, but it isn't.
Is there any benefit to making it a plugin?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Idk what is actually your question. If it's the term the script and the plugin. Script refers to Ace while Plugin refers to MV. It's because in MV you download a file and throw it in the plugin folder. Toggled it ON/OFF from the editor. Hence it's said plugin. In Ace, you copy the code, and pasted it in your script editor. It is not really a "plug-in".

So, what is your question again?

Triacular

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Idk what is actually your question. If it's the term the script and the plugin. Script refers to Ace while Plugin refers to MV. It's because in MV you download a file and throw it in the plugin folder. Toggled it ON/OFF from the editor. Hence it's said plugin. In Ace, you copy the code, and pasted it in your script editor. It is not really a "plug-in".

So, what is your question again?
The question has 2 main ways of seeing it, both being more like rephrased versions of each other. Sorry if it was hard to understand.
1. Is there a benefit to using plugins instead of scripts?
2. Why would people make plugins instead of scripts?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Those question can be answered with a single sentence
"Plugin is the term for MV, and the script is the term for Ace and older"

Are you asking why ppl make plugins for MV? And stopping to make a script for Ace and older?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Scripts are written in Ruby and plugins are written in Javascript. Ace is Ruby based, so uses scripts, MV is Javascript based so uses plugins. It is not possible to use a plugin in Ace or a script in MV. They simply would not work.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ace uses scripts, not plugins. There is no such thing as a plugin in Ace context. You cannot use MV plugins in Ace (different language, different data structure), and you cannot create plugins for Ace. They are all scripts.

MV uses the terms scripts and plugins. The "core" scripts are those that come with the engine, and you "call" using event commands. All additions are done as plugins, without modifying the original scripts. Plugins ARE scripts. But they are designed in a way that you can just drop them into the appropriate folder, add to the game with the plugin manager, and call the commands in a number of ways (generally via a Plugin Command, but sometimes via note tags, parameters, or nothing at all, depending on the plugin). Plugins are meant to be easier for the developer to use, but under the hood, they're just scripts. The term is a reference to how you add it to your game.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
it's a massive download with more steps than necessary
That sounds like a few sites that uuse pay per click. They are just trying to make money.
Usually you can just close the tab and click on the link again and it will bring you to the actual page with the script. Others require you to wait 5 seconds and then click next. But these are just a few. Most scripts can be found now in github links such as the lost script upload thread.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Zaj
Okay anothe stupid question from me. Why is when everyone's explaining the scripts in the scriptlets, it chnge into green. how do i know when do i code without knowing whether its turning green or not
So I realized that I really just don't have enough time to make videos. However I don't mind clicking stream and just letting people watch me work on my game. I don't really have a good microphone... okay it's a $20 headset so it's terrible, and I have no web cam. So the stream would largely be royalty free music and me working, with minor interaction. I guess the question is, would that actually interest anybody?
Child base test two, flappin' their arms like it's VX Ace.
ChildTest-02.gif
Zaj
Hi quick question. Is it possible for me to make a custom VXAce script without learning some bulkiness of Ruby?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MosMo88