So recently I discovered a type of RPGs that seems to be very popular with mobile users: Idle RPGs. Below are some examples of the most popular ones: Almost a Hero Post Knight Questland These games have the following characteristics: - Battles take up 80% of the game. - Customizing/Equipping character takes up almost the other 20% - Story takes up 0%~1%....i.e. story just some flimsy excuse to get you battling. - Battle is mostly automatic. Player can tap on screen to attack or cast special moves if they want, but otherwise the battlers fight waves of enemies continuously, even when player is not actively playing the game. In fact, it's probably possible to beat these games without ever interacting directly, assuming you've played long enough and have the right stats and equipment. - There's usually limited, asynchronous multiplayer such as PvP or ranking score boards. While many people say that they play RPGs for the story, apparently there's a big chunk of the population who thinks otherwise, as proven by the popularity of these games. I think there's something to be learned from this. So: 1. Does this kind of RPG appeal to you? Why or why not? 2. What aspects of this type of RPG do you think we can use in more traditional RPGs? 3. Any other thoughts about Idle RPGs?