What's the best game made with RPG maker you've ever encountered?

Davox

Archimage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just remembered that Flash games will be no more at the end of this year, and with that i remembered this AWESOME game that i found in a flash game page a couple of years ago. "One of you" it's one of the best games made with the RMaker i've ever played. It's made ONLY with default resources, but it totally compensates with the story.
I don't know who the creator is, but he made a really good job. So, fellas, what's the best rpgm games you know?

Christian777

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just played it a bit and its really well made, like you said, the basic RTP graphics are compensated with the story and overall progress... For now the best game i have seen to be made with RPG Maker is Final Fantasy Discovery, its a fan game of course, but it looks to be so well made that it looks like if it was made by Square Enix itself...
Another really good one was Eredimia: Dungeon, for its awesome Grid combat system with a lot of strategy behind it.
I saw many others that were worth playing but i dont remember the names... i need to say that i love fan games from titles like Final Fantasy (even if its getting overused already) but that are done WELL, for me the combat system is essential more than the story by the way.
You see many RPG maker games with a lot of polishing with the graphics, but when you get to play the battles, its just so bad done and out of place that it gets ridiculous.
Edit: Oh, Lunar Wish is actually the best game i have played made with kaduki battlers and some stock RTP assets. Awesome combat, engaging story, excellent mapping, that game got the winner award for me if we are talking about "original" RPG maker games.

Ebanyle

açspasl~d~dfflass
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I haven't played many games, Umbral Soul is definitely my favorite. It helped me go through a rough time too so it has a special place in my heart :kaoluv:

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite is definitely Antagonist (whose creator is on these boards, I believe, although I don't know if he checks here often... searching for a name... Ah, here we go: @Nivlacart). I was 16 when I played it, and it just blew me away in the best way possible- the premise of the game is extremely unique and hooked me instantly, and the way the story is presented was like nothing I'd ever seen, especially in an RPG Maker game. The art style was amazing as well, and the game's parodies were truly on-point, making fun of everything from Cloud Strife to Michael Bay. (It helped that my 16-year-old self was fairly angry at Mr. Bay for making movies that completely diverged from their comic book source material- it's not a Transformers or Ninja Turtles movie if it ignores every element the comics ever introduced, Mr. Bay!) It was the first thing I'd seen that was made in RPG Maker that truly felt like a professional production, and you can pretty much draw a straight line from me playing Antagonist to me using RPG Maker for developing my own game. One of my favorite games ever to this day. Can't praise it enough!

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never played that many, to be honest, though one that deserves a special mention would be Angels of Death. I remember when that one was being made way back when. Few years later, I see an anime that had me like "Wow, those two characters look vaguely familiar."
*Hears its based on an rpgm game*
*Has flashbacks of Makoto teasing us with character art assets from a psychological horror project*

"Oh crap! I remember that guy now!"

Glad to see it finally got finished. Just goes to show RPG maker games don't have to be RPGs in order to be successful. It's not very heavy on the gameplay, but it's still quite a ride.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The first and the only RPG Maker game that I didn't consider that I was playing RM game is moghunter's game, Memories of Mana 1 & 2. I didn't even play the Mana series to get to know the world, regardless, I enjoyed it as an actual game (Yes, I play RM usually knowing the fact its RM game and how I enjoy them is usually different).

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
General Discussion is about broad aspects of making games, not playing them.

I've moved this thread to Video Games. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think that I would have to say Teo Mathlein's Sunset Over Imdahl, all in all.

I was much better at playing RM games prior to 2010 than I have been subsequent.

Nivlacart

Glue my hand to the tablet pen.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite is definitely Antagonist (whose creator is on these boards, I believe, although I don't know if he checks here often... searching for a name... Ah, here we go: @Nivlacart). I was 16 when I played it, and it just blew me away in the best way possible- the premise of the game is extremely unique and hooked me instantly, and the way the story is presented was like nothing I'd ever seen, especially in an RPG Maker game. The art style was amazing as well, and the game's parodies were truly on-point, making fun of everything from Cloud Strife to Michael Bay. (It helped that my 16-year-old self was fairly angry at Mr. Bay for making movies that completely diverged from their comic book source material- it's not a Transformers or Ninja Turtles movie if it ignores every element the comics ever introduced, Mr. Bay!) It was the first thing I'd seen that was made in RPG Maker that truly felt like a professional production, and you can pretty much draw a straight line from me playing Antagonist to me using RPG Maker for developing my own game. One of my favorite games ever to this day. Can't praise it enough!
Oh my goodness, my heart. I'm filled with so much emotion and I don't know what to say :kaocry:. Thank you Mechscapeeeeee!!!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh my goodness, my heart. I'm filled with so much emotion and I don't know what to say :kaocry:. Thank you Mechscapeeeeee!!!
You're very, very welcome! The influence of your game on me simply cannot be understated- I had received RPG Maker from a relative who knew that I was interested in game development a few years prior to playing your game, but I always looked at it as essentially a toy- it was cool to make little things in it, but I didn't think of it as something I could make a "real" game in due to all the "cookie-cutter" games I saw on this site. When I played your game after it won the award, I was so amazed- not only at the game itself, but the fact that you had made it in RPG Maker- and if you could make something so unique in the program, I could too, right? And as I said, you can pretty much draw a straight line from me realizing that while playing your game to me developing my own game in RPG Maker.

I've kept the game on my computer since then and replay it from time to time- the idea of video game characters being actors playing a role really stuck in my mind (and indeed comes to mind when I play other RPGs), and the presentation of the game is just superb... Antagonist has that "something" that 99% of games don't have- I just never get tired of it. Everything just comes together to make a cohesive, enjoyable experience that can be repeated and be just as fun as the first time. The format of the game and its length are a big part of it, I think- I took a lot of inspiration for my own game from the way you did Antagonist - the lack of maps & short, succinct length.

Thank you- without your amazing game, I wouldn't have ever started on mine. One of my favorites ever, as I said.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This game:
Yes, that's my own game. Yes, I'm being 100% completely biased here, buuuuuuuuuut, it is the "best" rpg maker game I, MYSELF, have ever played...seconded closely by one mentioned earlier: Umbral Soul.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CrowStorm is right: Teo Mathlein's Sunset Over Imdahl is a great rpg maker game. I remember when it first came out. People were going gaga for it. And it won a lot of Misao awards. The thing is, it's an excellent game with a great, emotional story.

The Way series is my favorite.
Iron Gaia is fantastic.
Dhux's Scar is also great (and a bit insane!).

a_a

Anonymous Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just remembered that Flash games will be no more at the end of this year, and with that i remembered this AWESOME game that i found in a flash game page a couple of years ago. "One of you" it's one of the best games made with the RMaker i've ever played. It's made ONLY with default resources, but it totally compensates with the story.
I don't know who the creator is, but he made a really good job. So, fellas, what's the best rpgm games you know?
Your turn to die is one of my favorites.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best RPG Maker game I've seen is probably just "Final Fantasy Endless Nova". Fairly difficult to find in its entirety now. Couldn't ever tell you who made it. But, it was a well-designed RPG Maker 2000 game... that only had aspects taken from Final Fantasy and really wasn't about anything Final Fantasy. Basically... spell names... some monsters... and the Summons were the only thing "Final Fantasy" related about the entire game. Sci Fi game too.

I played quite a lot of it until I beat it, too. Put like... 30 or 35 hours into it? I also had it shoved into the RPG Maker program itself so I could fix errors I ran across or so I could see how the mechanics of something actually worked (like the mini-games or the mystery response aspects like dumping money into a fountain).

Was a lot of fun. Learned some cool stuff to do in the Maker through looking at its design.

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Feral Dreams, Passage of the Hollow Moon, and Kelarly's other later games are what got me into the PC makers in the first place. It's a shame that he hasn't returned. It's been a long time since his last release, and I was looking forward to his upcoming VXA project, but I guess life caught up to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Weather and time system twin release. Now with weather icons and possibility to add them in your custom clock!
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders is finally being ported to PC. I loved playing that game on the original Xbox.
A friend told me to stop making nomnom or gulping noise when eating or drinking. Plot twist of my life. I thought people can't hear that!
Inside you are two wolves. They take in oxygen while getting rid of the Co2 gas in your body...
Ah wait, sorry. Lungs. Not wolves. that'd be silly. Wolves are huge. You probably couldnt even fit one wolf inside you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FJS