What's the best way to go about making Zelda-esque tools/gears on the map?

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After a lot of searching, everytime I've seen this question come up, it's people looking to 100% replicate Zelda-style gameplay, and thus the answer was always to use QABS for it.
However with me, I want to make use of Zelda's puzzle gameplay with stuff like shooting arrows at switches, using certain tools for certain puzzles, etc... But I'm not interested in full ABS combat since I'm still retaining standard RPG turn-based battle transitions My goal is to have selectable tools you choose from a sub-menu, which then are "equipped", and can be used by pressing an action key on the map.

I know I can get decently far with this through eventing and Yanfly's menu plugins, however there's only so much you can do without plugins. Would ABS be worth the hassle of completely modifying my project and getting it to work with QABS? Is that plugin even stable/compatible enough yet? If so, is there a way to use an ABS but leave out the actual battling parts of it?

Any help would be incredibly appreciated!

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Moghunter's Chrono Engine can do that stuff.
https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-chrono-engine/

I haven't used it myself before yet, but pretty sure, you can configure it the way you want.
Downside - plugins use to be in portuguese. However, I think, people made translations of them yet.

Chrono Engine comes with a tool system.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having just the puzzle aspects and no combat would make it a lot easier to make in RPG Maker. I think you could get a lot of it done with just eventing.

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

ForestLogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having just the puzzle aspects and no combat would make it a lot easier to make in RPG Maker. I think you could get a lot of it done with just eventing.

Yeah, I remember in an older project I sort of was able to make a running bomb system. But it was a while back and I don't remember exactly what I did.
I think a big part of it will involve getting the right parallel processes set up. Since I do parallax mapping, I'm leery about using too many parallels though since I don't want to worry about lag.

Off-hand, does anyone know if I create an event space that's listed as "player touch", if I add a conditional branch that's like "When Button (x) is pressed", will that work at any point as long as the player is standing on that event space? Or would that require the player to press Button (x) as they enter that event space?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unnamed_image.jpg
SOMEONE'S SINGLE! HE DOES LIKE LONG WALKS IN THE IN THE SHADOWS AND THE SMELL OF DECAY. SADLY, HE HAS NO NUMBER TO NOTE OF BECAUSE HE HAS NO USE FOR A PHONE, BECUASE SUMMONING WORKS MUCH BETTER AND DOES NOT COME WITH AN ITEMISED BILL. REMEMBER TO TREAT HIM GOOD ON THE FIRST DATE!
I just found out that MZ regional price on Steam in my place is much cheaper than MV.
Our water started to work again, now i don't have to fill up our toilet with water again.
Finally able to return to work after months of lockdown. My poor feet are hurting :( I need to get used to working again haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RhetCon