ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Assuming you use the RTP and you wanted to make a map, where you have a river in a forest that goes all the way to the ocean on the coast, how would you go about making the transition between grass-tiles and sand-tiles?

Because something like this just does not look very nice:

Map085.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on the scale, but the biggest problem you have on that example are the straigth lines.
nature does not have such lines, all rivers meander.

so make a few indentions to left and right on that structure as the first step.
then break up the blocky lines even more by placing rocks, flowers and more on them - in a way that might look random, but is planned to cover the worst of those lines.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah that's what I thought aswell.

My first idea was to put the "tall grass" tiles over the transitioning tiles and it definitely looks better than before.

Just wanted to make sure there isn't some cool mapping trick that I somehow overlooked.

This is how the raw build of the map looks like:

Map083.png

Fen_Star

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English (Americ
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am a novice so, take what I say with a grain of salt.
Obviously, this includes some assets that are not RTP, but you can use things along the corners and such to soften things up sort of like you suggested with the tall grass.
1604173090475.png
Mostly, I have started using the B-D layers for custom stuff to soften transitions, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

Here is an example of a super quick and sloppy shift translation of the RTP assets that you could use on the B+ layers to overlay a diffrent curve

1604173940180.png
Oooo... actually, most of the little "rocks" along the boundary have a dark shadow so you could probably script that so that the transitions happened at those points.

Although, I am the guy who spends hours making elevation bitmaps of the sprites and then applying them to patterns to make clothes so maybe I am weird. XD

Last edited:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first idea was to put the "tall grass" tiles over the transitioning tiles and it definitely looks better than before.
This helps a lot though you are making it to square still.

EDIT : Okay, so it's from an old project so it isnt my best work lol

2020-10-31_21-55-02.png

so keep the shoreline chaotic then use the tall grass (both colors) to create patches that seemingly overlap in a chaotic patern. Now this is with a desert base but works for grass base just as well. Then the further away you get from the water's edge the less foilage and tall grass you place.
This is the easiest and most natural way I find to create a good looking transition within the engine.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just wanted to make sure there isn't some cool mapping trick that I somehow overlooked.
based on your screenshot, there is a mapping technique that you overlooked, but it has nothing to do with rivers - it is much more basic than that.

please look for tutorials on shift-click-mapping, one of them is also linked in my starting point in my signature. that will remove the tiny edges and borders between cliff and grass that you still have

Fen_Star

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English (Americ
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
based on your screenshot, there is a mapping technique that you overlooked, but it has nothing to do with rivers - it is much more basic than that.

please look for tutorials on shift-click-mapping, one of them is also linked in my starting point in my signature. that will remove the tiny edges and borders between cliff and grass that you still have
I know in the read areas I circled you can use shift tiles to clean it up, but is there anything he can do about the green areas?
1604184437764.png
95% of my maps are indoors so I usually don't have to worry about this. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
in some cases that can be cleaned by shift-click mapping also, but in other cases you need to modify the tileset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:
Ami
What do you think about the Wood Bridge inside of Volcano?
Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdramose