What's the best way to show animations in my game?

Showsni

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm attempting to show various animations in my RPG Maker MV game. I've tried two different methods, and was wondering which is better; or if there is a third even better method I'm missing.

I have a series of pngs with transparent backgrounds that make up my animation when seen back to back. The first method I tried was to simply run a loop through an event that showed each picture one by one (with the same ID, so they replaced each other). This works fine in game, if I make sure to preload the images with a plugin first, but ends up with a large filesize for the game overall.

The second method I tried was to first convert my png images to a webm video, then use a plugin (this one: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/play-gif-in-mv-vplayer-new-ver-1-3-mv-mz.115378/ ) to display this in game. Unfortunately, the first time any of my animations play through this they flash the screen black for a period. The loop is fine after that initial black flash. In order to fix it I've had the animation start off transparent for 15 frames and then turn opaque. This works, but means my animations are always lagging 15 frames behind the event that's meant to trigger them. It also seems my computer can only cope with running a single webm at a time this way (haven't tested on any other machines).

The webm file is much smaller than the pngs - for one 2 second animation loop, for example, the webm was 430 KB whereas the png files were 6.64 MB in total. So which is better for my end user - a larger filesize but a possibly smoother experience, or a smaller filesize but slightly suboptimal video? Or is there another way? Possibly a way to fix the black flash when the webm first loads, or something I'm missing entirely?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the easiest thing to do that you might be missing is using the Play Movie button on page 2 of the coding block.
Play Movie allows you to showcase various videos/movies/animations by "breaking away" from the game for a little bit, and then returning back once the movie ends.
In general, it is very difficult to show custom animations or cutscenes in rpg maker through eventing. Especially if things are hand drawn, or movie-like in experience.

I see you're using MV in your bio description correct? MV's Play Movie supports files ending with webm and Mp4, which sounds like it might be a best fit for you.

If you can find a way to take your sequence of png images and put it together outside of RPG Maker, then create that webm file, and stick it in the movies folder.

As far as I'm aware, it should work that way without any need for plugins or scripting.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any particular reason you cant build a spritesheet with said pngs and make a "proper" animation in the editor you can then call using "show animation" event command?

That will only require 1 image and should avoid any big filesize issues.

Showsni

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the easiest thing to do that you might be missing is using the Play Movie button on page 2 of the coding block.
Play Movie allows you to showcase various videos/movies/animations by "breaking away" from the game for a little bit, and then returning back once the movie ends.
In general, it is very difficult to show custom animations or cutscenes in rpg maker through eventing. Especially if things are hand drawn, or movie-like in experience.

I see you're using MV in your bio description correct? MV's Play Movie supports files ending with webm and Mp4, which sounds like it might be a best fit for you.

If you can find a way to take your sequence of png images and put it together outside of RPG Maker, then create that webm file, and stick it in the movies folder.

As far as I'm aware, it should work that way without any need for plugins or scripting.

I tried it out, but for some reason the Play Movie command doesn't respect the transparency of the webm (like the plugin does), so I end up with the animation playing on top of everything with no way to see the screen behind it and a black background (which isn't ideal!). I'm also not entirely sure how to get it to stop playing the movie.

Any particular reason you cant build a spritesheet with said pngs and make a "proper" animation in the editor you can then call using "show animation" event command?

That will only require 1 image and should avoid any big filesize issues.

My animation is more of a full screen affair, a bit like the blinking bust here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...a-blinking-bust-eventing-for-beginners.77086/ but with more frames of animation; it's not tied to a specific event on screen, but runs in a parallel common event, on a continuous loop.

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You should still be able to convert your pngs into a skill sheet and use that to make the animation. YOu can still use the animation common event with the loop, and you'll probably avoid using a pesky preloader.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Spend $5,000 on a new gaming PC. Didn't expect it to be like 1 foot wide, 2 feet tall, and weigh like 100+ pounds. The heck did I get myself into?
If you are a fan of TRPGs like Fire Emblem, take a moment to help me by filling out this:

Camping inside a hidden cave.
LzSHByh.jpg
I don’t believe in astrology. I’m a Sagittarius and we’re skeptical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChibiLily