What's The First RPG Maker Game You've Created?

ProjectUnknow

Just a Lonely Producer
Reaction score
First Language
Hmong, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alrighty, I don't know if a similar forum had already been made, but as the titles says, what is the first rpg maker game you've made? it can be unreleased, and made in any rpg maker program, screenshot is optional.

My inspiration for this, was when I discovered my old created games, so here mine!
Sword Of Light: Oooh boy! this one is funny, because I can still remember creating this game in VX Ace.
Its full of cringe grammar and bad mapping.
look at the failed watermark overlay.

This is the first map where we get our hero introduction.

A forest map?

A place where the hero gets ambushed by bandits.

Annd finally the first baddy

Yes, I know all the grammars are bad haha.
To be fair, this game gave me Ideas for my other creations.

The story of this game:

The main hero name is "Fuu" his title: Golden Blade.
He seek to find all the mystic blades for unknown reason, he unintentionally part ways with his friend who's name is "Loner". and that'll all I gathered from playing this old game.

Attachments

Last edited:

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the first rpg maker game... And the only one too... is just a ridiculous concept.
I had a bet with someone that I can create a multiplayer rpg maker 2003 game. And I made an ABS 1v1 arena combat, so I won. It was like 6 years ago though :D

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My very first game was in RM2K3 in like 2004, but it got hit with the corruption bug and I didn't know how to recover it back then, so I lost most of what I had of it (only have some early very version that is mostly the maps).
It pretty much fell into almost every RPG Maker newbie trap ever:
-Super ambitious with plans for 40+ hour story, hundreds of maps, 20+ playable characters, lots of side-quests etc...
-Bad, oversized maps that made no sense (one house interior had its floor made of water...)
-Badly written dialogue guaranteed to overdose anybody reading through it with massive amounts of cringe.
-Wanting to tell a story over providing an enjoyable gameplay experience.
-Everything in combat was kept default (except with some MS Paint-made sprites...)
I did dodge the boring, drawn-out text scroll/dialogue intro that plagues many newbie projects, but that's about it, lol.

Last edited:

The Mighty Palm

Resident Palm Tree
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I dont have any screenshots because this had to have been several years ago, but my first rpg maker game ever was called Heroes of Crystalia in RPGMaker XP. It was about four heroes that had to find the crystals of the elements and then go beat a big evil monster guy. Along the way they battled Goombas, a Rathalos, Ninja Squirtles (all poorly taken from google images) and the RTP monsters.

There was barely any plot or story or character development. It was an awful game... but it was how I fell in love with the program and got introduced to my gamedev hobby so thats pretty cool.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure which one is really my first. Long years ago I was just concepting a world, and characters. The RM version is just mapping and never been on playable stage, or even really shaped like a game. Bcz aside from concepting, I was also learning how to use RM.

The oldest battle footage I found on my YT channel was this (2013) while I was having fun making my own battle system. The game iirc was also playable for one stage (that is not even complete).

Jono99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game was called Enext. The bit I made before losing the files forever (and for the best) was utterly terrible. The "beta/prequel" that I actually released was even worse. I took it down from my website, but the mediafire link is still up if you're able to track that down. The only interesting thing I did was subverting the "But Thou Must" trope with a character that offers to join your party. If you say no, he won't join your party. I also used the premade characters. Yeah. I played through it again to get screenshots and the writing, surprisingly, has some good jokes amidst the horrendous writing.
upload_2018-7-7_20-17-3.png upload_2018-7-7_20-24-39.png upload_2018-7-7_20-22-13.png

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Computer wise, my first rpg maker project was a game about a brother and sister (twins) who can use magic in a world where magic has been lost to most people. Their mother ends up getting assassinated right before she was to reveal the origins of their ability to use magic so the siblings have to try and find answers about their origins as well as the truth behind the reasoning for their mother's assassination.

Essentially they find out magic was first established in the world by a link of devotion between spirits and humans; the spirits eventually moved away from the human world but those in a secluded village that remained faithful to the spirits retained the ability to use magic through the use of a surrogate human that served as a link between the spirits in lieu of their physical absence. The twins find out they are the children of that spirit link (their assassinated mother) and because of that have have magic in their blood. One of the ruling kings knew the origins of magic in the world and hoped to suppress it by killing their mother; he was fearful of magic being a threat to his military might and rule.

Inevitably its the kings own fear and actions that lead the twins to taking him down and ending his reign. At the end the brother sacrifices his physical life to re-establish the link between the spirits and the humans and to protect his sister from making the same choice.

I made the project to learn the maker and it ended up being a 2-3hr game. Looking back it later I could see how rough it was, I was inexperienced with map making (I knew some already about eventing because of rpg maker 3 on ps2) and many maps looked simple and rough. I also used all the default animations and whatnot in part because I had trouble customizing the animations without messing them up. I also didn't pace my story to my characters and one character was added too last minute and not developed enough and another I didn't develop enough outside of some optional scenes. I was also lazy with it and made a great deal of houses that were locked so I wouldn't have to map interiors. Later I thought about how you can have houses and buildings be a part of the environment without having them accessible by mapping a certain way. All in all my first game was a learning experience and taught me much in both my application of making it and seeing my short comings.

ProjectUnknow

Just a Lonely Producer
Reaction score
First Language
Hmong, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My very first game was in RM2K3 in like 2004, but it got hit with the corruption bug and I didn't know how to recover it back then, so I lost most of what I had of it (only have some early very version that is mostly the maps).
It pretty much fell into almost every RPG Maker newbie trap ever:
-Super ambitious with plans for 40+ hour story, hundreds of maps, 20+ playable characters, lots of side-quests etc...
-Bad, oversized maps that made no sense (one house interior had its floor made of water...)
-Badly written dialogue guaranteed to overdose anybody reading through it with massive amounts of cringe.
-Wanting to tell a story over providing an enjoyable gameplay experience.
-Everything in combat was kept default (except with some MS Paint-made sprites...)
I did dodge the boring, drawn-out text scroll/dialogue intro that plagues many newbie projects, but that's about it, lol.

Your mapping actually looked really good compare to my, I've also fell into that newbie trap too, only recently I realize I have to create a more simple game :D
Bad, oversized maps that made no sense (one house interior had its floor made of water...)
This got me laughing nice one hahaha

I'm not sure which one is really my first. Long years ago I was just concepting a world, and characters. The RM version is just mapping and never been on playable stage, or even really shaped like a game. Bcz aside from concepting, I was also learning how to use RM.

The oldest battle footage I found on my YT channel was this (2013) while I was having fun making my own battle system. The game iirc was also playable for one stage (that is not even complete).
The battle system looks nice and fluent, you wrote it yourself?

My first game was called Enext. The bit I made before losing the files forever (and for the best) was utterly terrible. The "beta/prequel" that I actually released was even worse. I took it down from my website, but the mediafire link is still up if you're able to track that down. The only interesting thing I did was subverting the "But Thou Must" trope with a character that offers to join your party. If you say no, he won't join your party. I also used the premade characters. Yeah. I played through it again to get screenshots and the writing, surprisingly, has some good jokes amidst the horrendous writing.
Its a nice starting demo, also, it remind me of my other one I created (Which I won't show :))

Computer wise, my first rpg maker project was a game about a brother and sister (twins) who can use magic in a world where magic has been lost to most people. Their mother ends up getting assassinated right before she was to reveal the origins of their ability to use magic so the siblings have to try and find answers about their origins as well as the truth behind the reasoning for their mother's assassination.

Essentially they find out magic was first established in the world by a link of devotion between spirits and humans; the spirits eventually moved away from the human world but those in a secluded village that remained faithful to the spirits retained the ability to use magic through the use of a surrogate human that served as a link between the spirits in lieu of their physical absence. The twins find out they are the children of that spirit link (their assassinated mother) and because of that have have magic in their blood. One of the ruling kings knew the origins of magic in the world and hoped to suppress it by killing their mother; he was fearful of magic being a threat to his military might and rule.

Inevitably its the kings own fear and actions that lead the twins to taking him down and ending his reign. At the end the brother sacrifices his physical life to re-establish the link between the spirits and the humans and to protect his sister from making the same choice.

I made the project to learn the maker and it ended up being a 2-3hr game. Looking back it later I could see how rough it was, I was inexperienced with map making (I knew some already about eventing because of rpg maker 3 on ps2) and many maps looked simple and rough. I also used all the default animations and whatnot in part because I had trouble customizing the animations without messing them up. I also didn't pace my story to my characters and one character was added too last minute and not developed enough and another I didn't develop enough outside of some optional scenes. I was also lazy with it and made a great deal of houses that were locked so I wouldn't have to map interiors. Later I thought about how you can have houses and buildings be a part of the environment without having them accessible by mapping a certain way. All in all my first game was a learning experience and taught me much in both my application of making it and seeing my short comings.
I love the game idea you got, Its intriguing to read. Do you have any plans to recreate this story?

Last edited:

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ProjectUnknow I've thought about to be honest, especially since that project was in vx ace and now I'm far more experienced and moving to MV. I originally planned the game as a trilogy (a trilogy of games to practice the maker with) and even planned out the story outlines for the subsequent games. I never worked on a follow-up to that game and I never released it anywhere other than showing it off to a couple relatives. I still have the original file though somewhere on a flash drive so I could probably port it to mv and re-work it that way or just reference it when needed.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The battle system looks nice and fluent, you wrote it yourself?
Yes, I wrote it from scratch. Although that version was really suck since it was my first attempt to write it.
A complete version of the system can be seen on my signature, the complete game one (it's different game though). Or try to browse my channel.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A simple little dungeon crawler with 20 levels, made in MV version 1.1. Maps were at most 40 x 40 and battles were very frequent (though using a visual battler system, so you could clear it out). Here's a video so you can see what I mean:

As you can see, I never bothered to fix up animation errors, and there is some decimal rounding errors in how some damage is applied (you'll notice one character has .2 of an HP at one point in the video). But, I left it as the entire point of it though was to test my battle and equipment system before using it in my planned game, and find where the system needed fixing up. Now if I intended to release it I'd obviously have to fix those things.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp I'm not sure if I can believe it's your first rm game you've created. unless by created it means... completed?

Jono99

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I see. I should try and make it into a short RPG at some point. Maybe make it under lite limitations just to fit with the limitations I made the demo under.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TheoAllen : I read that as completed, yes. For created, that is The Book of Shadows, the game I released in the IGMC in 2014 and am still working on and polishing. The 2014 one though had a lot of beginner errors, like the 90 x 90 house inside that I thought was a good idea at the time, for starters.

But eventually I rebooted the game in 2015 with more experience, and that gives us what we got now on my project page.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first RPG Maker game was on RPG Maker 2003 and was called Unforgiven Quest. It was chock-full of rpg cliches! A little FF7, a little FF8, a little Legend of Dragoon. Obviously I made it during that time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kitchen counters! I am on my second version of counters. It is slow going and I always see little details that could be done better. Have to force myself to say that's good enough for now and continue on.
I always thought I was just really, really bad at communication, then the internet proceeds to say "lol no".
Almost 100,000 Threads! We should make a celebration. Make a 100K logo? :p
Cursed problem: Multiple language switches. Say, you want to switch to EN language from JP but you have no idea where the language switch in JP menu language.
Tonight I'm finally going to start putting the dungeons my team has made on grid paper into the engine. That's the final step of making the game world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohannBecker