What's the percentage of players that leave reviews on Steam?

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What was the percentage of total buyers who ended up leaving a review on your Steam Store page?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
review percentages are extremely low, no matter where and especially if the review requires work like writing something.
That means you can usually consider yourself lucky if you get 1% reviews out of your buyers.

That is not based on steam - it is based on every possible way a product could get a review. On a story/writer centered community with several thousand hobby writers writing stories for free you usually don't get any written ratings until you get somewhere notable (like the top 50 upcoming new stories), and then the numbers are like 40.000 total views (all chapters) - 1700 average views (per chapter) - 450 followers - 3 written reviews.

And then add that on something like steam (or any other area where you actually have to pay for the product instead of getting it free) 90% of the dissatisfied buyers leave a bad review but only 10% of the satisfied buyers leave a good review...

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did more research and saw it is anywhere between 1 and 55-100 buyers for steam.

However, you are right on how that reflects on the reasons why they are leaving reviews and negative reasons would outweigh the positive. So for games with overwhelming positive....They may be updward to 1 out of every 120-200!!!

That's insane.

However, does RPGM games get same ratios? I'd think more would be open to review these type games since they are often developed by one or two developers and not some studio where their review means squat.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So the question becomes "do indie game players tend to leave reviews more often than regular gamers?". I think it's about the same as other AAA game players. But then again, like you guys already pointed out, people a person who had a bad experience is far more likely to leave a review than someone who had a good experience.

There's also the syndrome of not wanting to leave a review because no one has left a review yet (so the getting the first review is harder than getting reviews after the first one). First of all in a system where people can upvote/downvote a review, people tend to use that far more often than actually leaving a review. So perhaps you could give your game to a few friends and ask them to leave a review, just to get things started.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right. One thing I've tried to do is if I play an RPGMaker game on Steam that has few reviews is post one myself. Maybe we as a community should start trying to do that? Might help each other out some.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to add, as it seems you've had a reasonable answer - I came to RPG Maker as an offshoot of being an indie author, and you sell literally hundreds of books on Amazon to get a single review. I would expect it to be quite similar.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Right. One thing I've tried to do is if I play an RPGMaker game on Steam that has few reviews is post one myself. Maybe we as a community should start trying to do that? Might help each other out some.
That's actually a good idea. We should help out each other in this community, especially to rid ourselves of that "rpg maker games are bad" reputation. I don't know if that would mean not promoting bad rpg maker games (the ones that were clearly made in a single day without much effort by someone who never made a game before).

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@MushroomCake28 : Well we could just be honest. As in if we don't like the game as it was clearly made in a day, we leave a negative review and point out what they did wrong and what they could do better in the review. That way we at least look like we aren't being salty or mean.

I actually did that with the negative reviews I've left on Steam, as in, leave suggestions for improvement too or what I would recommend they fix. Though once I did get a little salty and suggest they go play those games they say they based their game off of as they clearly played a different game than I did.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's actually a good idea. We should help out each other in this community, especially to rid ourselves of that "rpg maker games are bad" reputation. I don't know if that would mean not promoting bad rpg maker games (the ones that were clearly made in a single day without much effort by someone who never made a game before).
To be fair, if it were to be known widely that the RPG Maker Community are reviewing each others' titles on Steam, that wouldn't help the program's image. It's similar to why Amazon won't let authors review each other.

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I myself am more inclined to leave a review on a lesser known game rather than a major AAA game where my review is just another meaningless review in a sea of thousands. And I am always generous. Especially with RPGM made games. But if I see love was put into a project and its not a cash grab, I will always vote up, but may not be as nice about what I actually type in my review. I could show examples but do not want to hurt anyones feelings because I am sure they are members here. My reviews typically do end up on most helpful though.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Personally I barely leave reviews, there were few cases I gave a negative review to point out issues I had with the game.
Usually I just deinstall games which annoy me, get refund and move on, I think most people do this too, because many devs doesnt care for reviews anyway.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally I barely leave reviews, there were few cases I gave a negative review to point out issues I had with the game.
Usually I just deinstall games which annoy me, get refund and move on, I think most people do this too, because many devs doesnt care for reviews anyway.
Ironically, reviews and the most useful thing you can do for a developer/writer/anything. Many of the algorithms for search on these sites use review scores as a factor (Amazon especially). You're right in that some developers view them as an inconvenience, but this is a really bad stance for them to take.

eluukkanen

Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
For smaller guys, leaving a review helps a ton. For a composer like me who has not released a game, sometimes it is hard to define what people like and not like. People do not tell you outright why they liked or not enjoyed your work. Data and and numbers can help to estimate, but they do not give as good picture as written reviews.

In the same time I think if people don't have anything to say, I am not against people not leaving reviews. People who have time and enjoy the game that much so they make constructive reviews are few, but those few are important. I would much rather take 10 well-written reviews rather than 1000 small posts saying essentially: "I like the game". like I see sometimes in steam.

And this stance is not taken for reason of gaining the system. I know that if you have more stat numbers (reviews, likes, shares and such) connected to your game, it gives it social acceptance and gets people not abandon your game outright for being irrelevant. Still constructive thoughtful reviews are the most important ones to get. Especially if they point out something that is true and you as a developer could not see before.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar pretty much got the question right - maybe 1% of all players will leave a review if you're lucky.

It's also generally correct that you're more likely to get a negative review if the player really didn't like the game than if the player did like it; if you think about it, it's the same way for businesses in general - like with a restaurant, if a person likes the food, they probably won't say anything (but they might come back for more!), but if they really don't like the food, they'll be sure to speak up and ask for a refund. It's just the way human psychology is, sadly.

That being said, there are ways to get more reviews. The first obvious way is to make a game that really leaves an impression on the player - the kind of game that leaves a person with that sad feeling - y'know, the feeling you get after finishing a really good book or game, like you wish it could somehow never end even though it's over.

In that regard, the ending for your game should be well-written and set up in a way that leaves a lasting impact.

The second way to get more reviews is also obvious - just ask! Mobile apps are notorious for practically shoving the question in your face - if you like the app, rate it five stars! Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing that, but there's no harm in, say, during your credits sequence, adding in the line "leave a Steam review!". And if you think about it, if the person finished the game, they probably liked it enough to give a positive review.

I've personally done this with all my games, and in the Android versions, put NPCs in a couple of key areas that also kindly ask for ratings/reviews.

flynnmichael81

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
One of the easiest ways in which commercial RPG Maker games can be helped on Steam is by wishlisting. When a game launches Steam looks to see on how many wishlists it appears. Those with more wishes get more free publicity from Steam and have a higher chance of appearing in the top capsule on the page. In my mind, it offers a free and harmless way of helping others.

As the OPs question: it varies wildly. My RPG, 'Void Monsters', saw around 1 in 150, but my strategy game Colony Prospector saw only around 1 in 400. Also, in my experience, people tend to review more in the first weeks. I barely get any reviews from sales.

Last edited:

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, for me it's about 1 reviews for roughly every 50 games sold on steam. That said, it's based on the one single game I've up there ;) so not a lot of experience and no comparison if it might vary depending on genre etc.

FluffexStudios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it really varies based on the game, for 'Stitched' I received 1 review approximately every 80 games. This doesn't really give the statistics of how many copies sold per review though. But, usually I would say that the more wow factors your game has, the more reviews based on # of download you'll get.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@MushroomCake28 : Well we could just be honest. As in if we don't like the game as it was clearly made in a day, we leave a negative review and point out what they did wrong and what they could do better in the review. That way we at least look like we aren't being salty or mean.

I actually did that with the negative reviews I've left on Steam, as in, leave suggestions for improvement too or what I would recommend they fix. Though once I did get a little salty and suggest they go play those games they say they based their game off of as they clearly played a different game than I did.
That's actually a good idea. We do need to support each other more.

So from this point forward, if someone on this site leaves an honest review on my game, I'll leave an honest review on theirs.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@flynnmichael81 : I think the reason you get no reviews from sales is during a sale many buy 10+ games on their wishlist at once, then get to them when they get to them, which might be 2 - 3 years later. I know I tend to do that myself.

@lianderson : Agreed. We did something like that with the IGMC with our Secret Santa event, and I've toyed with starting it up for games on here (both non commercial and commercial), but haven't had time to work out the issues that such an event would have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.
Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewRobertson