SoundsByDane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all. Was wondering what's the benefit of using script calls? Like why use something like "$gameMessage.add("Show Text Script Call")" instead of just using the "Show Text" event command?

Last edited:

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's lots of reasons, but to provide a quick and easy example, look at the Play SE event command. Let's say you want to play a SE at 40% Pitch. However, the editor only allows you to set a 50% pitch at the lowest. With script calls, there's no such limit.

You can even replace the pitch value in a script call with the value of a variable.

And regarding the one you've posted... combine it with the SetFaceImage script call and you can have a message that changes the face image depending on the number of a specific variable and such.

Really, imagination's the limit here. They also make certain things easier. Just like plugins.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Hey all. Was wondering what's the benefit of using script calls? Like why use something like "$gameMessage.add("Show Text Script Call")" instead of just using the "Show Text" event command?
if it's something that already coded to event command... then nothing i think...

script call is for something that did not coded to existing event command... or something that exist in event command but you need to modify if from some "hardcoded in the command" one...

some example is what Beregon mention above.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In your example, none.

Strictly speaking on the "show text command" example, perhaps you could randomize the order of the words if you know some JS syntax.

The point is, once you know how to code JS, you could manipulate data and simplify the command that if it was using event, it requires a long sequence of events, while if you use script call, you only need to write a few lines and done.

SoundsByDane

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow thank for all the replies guys! Was really helpful.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Folks, if anyone sends you a message inviting you to add their API to your game, please report them. We don't want people spamming our members asking them to add stuff to their games for their own (or others') benefit. We've updated the forum rules to confirm this.
I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...
I don't really have any neat updates today about how I screwed up programming... But if you want to observe the intensenes of me programming, then you can check out my stream :)
New Weapons.gif
No more spam from me today, I promise! Just wanted to upload this, people have been giving me feedback that my weapon sprites (which were RTP) clashed badly with my battlers for ages, so today I finally took the plunge and updated them! Really happy with how they came out :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ringoman