What's the point of the luck stat?

Lapzil_Spider

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does it affect the chance of getting a state like Poison or Blindness or the chance of hitting your opponent? I have no clue.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your first assumption is correct.
Luck determines the chance of applying states to the target.

If your Luck is higher than that of the target, you have a higher chance of applying a state.
If your Luck is lower than that of the target, you have a lower chance of applying a state.

It should be noted though, that the Luck difference has to be quite substantial to make a noticeable difference.

Luck has no other function. You can still use it in damage formulas though.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most people adapt LUK to be used for another purpose. For instance, I personally removed the default influence it has on state applications and turned LUK into "Speed" (SPD) to govern turn order, evasion, starting FP, and movement range. It can also be used in formulas as @ScorchedGround mentioned. It's just another parameter to use as you see fit. The same goes for all the other base params, don't feel as though you are limited by what the default uses for them are, they can literally be used for anything. Just rename them as you see fit.

Lapzil_Spider

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you guys

Your first assumption is correct.
Luck determines the chance of applying states to the target.

If your Luck is higher than that of the target, you have a higher chance of applying a state.
If your Luck is lower than that of the target, you have a lower chance of applying a state.

It should be noted though, that the Luck difference has to be quite substantial to make a noticeable difference.

Luck has no other function. You can still use it in damage formulas though.

So, about that "Luck higher and lower than the enemy" part. What would happen if you had the exact same number as them? Would it be a 50/50, or would it cancel out?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The state would have its normal application rate/chance to be applied since both units' LUK stat are the same.

AdeptusUK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Luck is almost entirely pointless out-of-the-box. As above everyone seems to customise it. I use it for item drop rate and some small effect on EVA and CRIT.

tale

Volunteer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Found MV definition of Luck on database tooltip

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I turned 17 two months ago and I feel like I've grown (personality-wise) more in this 1 year than all the 16 years I had lived combined.
Ugh, I may have been cumbersomely eventing a bunch of stuff I could have easily done changing the tileset "Passage (4 dir)" and "Ladder" options. Oops :D
I have no idea why some of the program "splash screen" always on top. E.g, RMMZ loading screen stuck on the top blocking anything I want to do until it fully loaded. What is even the purpose?
One of the secret places in the game.
Had a dream last night that I died -- what a way to start the weekend! :'D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEATLOAFMAN