What's the real difference between 'fade-out' and 'tint screen'?

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey I'm having some problems with 'fade-out' but I have another thread for it..
Here I want to ask about the difference between 'fade-out' and 'tint screen'.
I know what they can do in-game; 'fade-out' making the screen black and 'tint screen' tinting the screen with colors I choose(obviously..) but how is it different in the scripts?
I used to show pictures after I faded out the screen, but it doesn't work now. So I tried showing pictures after tinting the screen all black, and it works! HOW???
Aren't they basically doing the same thing? Why are they acting differently like in my project?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, the commands have a different purpose.

fade-out sets everything to black (absolute), tint screen is not only relative (it's color mathematics, there are no negative color numbers in any picture) but also there are a few things that are not affected by tint.

so a show picture after a fade-out will never work (and should never have worked unless you broke the engine).
For more help a screenshot of what you did would be nice

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WHAAAAT???? REALLY????

I was looking for a way to show pictures on a black screen the other day, and I found someone recommending 'fade-out' and then 'show picture'.. and it worked right away when I tried!
All this time I thought it was a classical way to do so.. (I've used it on all my pictures through the game)
I'm not taking screenshots because my MV is not in English,, sorry for that.
What I did for almost all of my pictures was to make a common event; in the common event I fade-out, show picture, wait, and turn on a switch which I need to remove the picture later.
With the switch turned on, when the player presses OK, the picture goes away and screen fades in automatically.
Then is tinting the screen into black a normal way to get the result I want here?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wait, and turn on a switch which I need to remove the picture later.
With the switch turned on, when the player presses OK, the picture goes away and screen fades in automatically.
much to complex, there are easier ways to wait for action press.

show picture
show text (no text, invisible background)
erase picture

if the show text command is set to invisible background and has no text and no face, the player can't see it - but the computer still waits for the action button to confirm that the player has read the invisible message.

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My...................... You're genius...
That's why I have more than 50 common events and over 150 switches in use...
Your way is so much better than what I've been doing.
I'll try to change all of my events and remove some unnecessary ones. Thanks!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Nyeh heh heh

Goblins like spooktober
Welp, ended up at the hospital with the oldest so mebbe might make the game jam's deadline. Maybe not. Regardless, really digging MZ.
I had lots of fun! Kids loved me, and some took pictures. Unfortunately, the videos didn't send... but you'll see Chica in action when I do a trailer for Fandom Scouts!
Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalaacSoran