What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't playtest anything.  Don't invite others to playtest for you.  You are the most impartial judge of your own work, so obviously you should know better than anyone else what is fun in your game and what isn't.  Also, don't playtest often.  Go ahead and jump to the next part of your game before nailing down the current parts.  You can always come back to boring stuff later.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All maps should be huge. I mean, really, if it doesn't take the player an hour to navigate that forest and at least 4 for the first dungeon, you must be doing something wrong.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Game development is super easy, just put anything in a project and release it onto greenlight

!

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"Don't do it, there is enough **** out there already without you adding to it!"

Edit: Oh, nevermind, you wanted the worst advice...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  • You need to combine at least three game genres. RPGs are so much better with 2-D fighting and rail shooting segments! Who plays one game at a time these days?
  • You need to buy an absolute boat load of art and music assets before you've even started the project. Absolutely nothing will change or get canceled.
  • Make the whole thing underwater. Everyone loves water stages.
  • The game over screen should come with a fully scripted cut scene that takes you back to the title screen.
  • It needs to have every job system, crafting system, battle system, and side quest system known to mad-kind. Simplicity is overrated!
  • Memes and references are super cool, use a lot of them during gripping cut scenes.
  • Make sure your dialogue shows off that you can use a thesaurus really, really well.

Last edited:

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
   Go commercial right away, making a recruitment thread covering every aspect of game development with yourself situated as a sort of 'idea pointman' while offering little to no incentives or assurances of developmental stamina. Then proceed to get really offended whenever someone asks you questions about your negligible experience or gives you advice on how to glean said experience for yourself instead of volunteering to make your game for you pro bono. 

Shin Kitsune

KITSUNE Game Design
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG/SPA
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  1. Use tiles and sprites from all your favorite games! No matter if it goes against the aesthetics.

The more cramped your map is, the better!
First thing that comes to your head for a story, do it!
Do not finish your game!
If you finish it, upload it as it is!
The final boss MUST die in a spectacular way. Doesn't matter if you don't achieve it as long as you're happy with it!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One more:

-All final bosses must have 100000000000 HP and 6 forms that take the player hours to defeat. If it doesn't take as long to defeat the final boss as it takes you to watch the movie Titanic, then you aren't doing it right.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Remember: when you find a resource from Google, you only need to credit Google, no one else." :)
Not even kidding, I've seen a game that used anime images and popular music and the credits read "Google." I wanted to cry a little. 

Go commercial right away, making a recruitment thread covering every aspect of game development with yourself situated as a sort of 'idea pointman' while offering little to no incentives or assurances of developmental stamina. Then proceed to get really offended whenever someone asks you questions about your negligible experience or gives you advice on how to glean said experience for yourself instead of volunteering to make your game for you pro bono. 
We can't forget either. When you make that recruitment thread you have to be as vague as possible because your idea is so valuable that not even prospective team members can know. Little description, barely there screenshots, and definitely no outline/details for how development will proceed. 

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Ms fish: Oh yea, it happens, far far too often. People are just naturally as dumb as a turd in a raincoat! :/

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh my goodness, yes!   I've been confused about that "rule" since I first read about it.  Apparently to be a good mapper you're not allowed to have negative space. *eyeroll*

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I admit, I am not sure what the three tile rule is...

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why can't you have "negative space"?  The world is FULL of negative space!  What absolutely atrocious advice!

Meanwhile, I got another piece of terrible advice related to mapping:

Clutter your map with everything!  The more objects on your map, the better!  Fill your map with objects!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Lately I have been taking a break from game and resource making so I won't get burnt out. But I am also interested in the Game Jams this site periodically holds. It'd be great if I knew when the next one, if any, is planned.
elexy 1.2.pngSome bust art to be cropped and cleaned. May use in special decision moments. Depending on how it looks in game I may cut it.
Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RicardodaSilva