What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

Olivier

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am going to have to strongly disagree.

Gameplay and presentation are by far more important then a games story and characters.

If your presentation sucks, no one will care about the games story.  I should note that a good presentation does not mean hyper realistic graphics and/or becoming a king of graphics (ex: Undertale has good presentation).

If a game does not have good gameplay, nobody will stick around to finish your game to even enjoy the story. 

If someone wants to make a really good story and doesn't really care much about the gameplay itself, I suggest making a book instead.  It is a better medium for story telling and allows for more depth without having the story bogged down by sub-par gameplay.

nothing is "more important" than the other. if one is lacking then the entire game sucks, period.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
nothing is "more important" than the other. if one is lacking then the entire game sucks, period.

A game does not even need story and/or characters.  

And yes, gameplay should be focused on the most and is the most important part of a game.  It is the biggest draw of why a person picks one game over another.

Heck, most people do not even finish a game (source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-donat-finish-games), even ones they love.  So most people that play a game will not even ever finish the story.

edit: That statistic is why lots of companies are opting for more multiplayer focused experiences, for most people do not care about a games story that much and only like playing for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olivier

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A game does not even need story and/or characters.  

And yes, gameplay should be focused on the most and is the most important part of a game.  It is the biggest draw of why a person picks one game over another.

Heck, most people do not even finish a game (source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-donat-finish-games), even ones they love.  So most people that play a game will not even ever finish the story.

edit: That statistic is why lots of companies are opting for more multiplayer focused experiences, for most people do not care about a games story that much and only like playing for fun.

hrm, i guess i'm in the minority then :/

Emberstorm

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Your first game(s) should never be overambitious or too big in scale. So I guess the worse advice I think you could give would be something along the lines of imploring that the new developer works on something too ambitious? Don't expect to wow everybody with your first project. Treat it as a learning curve.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Every character in the entire game should be a little pink haired girl named Kloe with nothing different about any of them.

k1.png"I agree!"

(thanks Slim, for the manual html tag since my spoiler button isn't there!)

Palin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Please, try to break the mold with your first game.

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
-

Why are some people so salty about anime? Its very aesthetically appealing. Sometimes I think they're just trying to be the hipsters of the game Dev world.

- It's like for RTP, there are people who grew tired of having every single game with anime style. I'm not THAT tired of them but usually when I see a non-anime graphical style I'll be more likely to pay attention to the game's description.

Now on for my awesome advices :

- Make a game where you are a hero with IDDAD on all along. People LOVE this and it doesn't scream "teenage crisis" at all.
- Your first attempt at a map is the best. Spontaneity is the key. NEVER rework on your maps.

- Make a Godfrey Ho movie fangame. Godfrey Ho movie's excellent scenarios and wonderful acting will be an inspiration for you to make captivating ninja stories. You can't go wrong with Godfrey Ho.
- No one cares if you mix artstyles. Mash-up 8-bit goombas with a 16-bit Megaman. Using ripped sprites from famous games is a plus. Everyone loves that especially when you claim it to be some Kingdom's Heart stuff to justify the mes.... this awesome design choice.

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry, bad connection striked back.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Go big or go home.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
More playtime = better game.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is especially true with animations. Way to many games do not even mess with the animations themselves and just change the skill name (and/or effect of the skill).

How many games must have a fire spell that uses the default fire animation (read: unaltered in any way) as one of the first skills introduced?

In all fairness, this is one thing that falls flat on tutorials for people to work with. I've seen a few, but certainly not as many as mapping, audio, parrallax, and events. Without much know-how, people are probably a bit afraid to try to alter the animations.

LadyHammer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In all fairness, this is one thing that falls flat on tutorials for people to work with. I've seen a few, but certainly not as many as mapping, audio, parrallax, and events. Without much know-how, people are probably a bit afraid to try to alter the animations.

This! Lol I have tried to alter the default animations, but I gotta be honest... I don't really know what I'm doing. I can do really, really basic changes to them (like change a sound effect or something) but when it comes to making my own, I make a horrendous mess.

On topic:

"Don't bother starting to make a game if you know you're not gonna finish it."

(But seriously, even if you don't finish it, think of all the great new things you'll learn from working on it!)

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If your games cliche. Let it be cliche. Bad advice

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Depends. The foundation of many console rpg's (NES, SNES, and even PS1) were built on clichés. However, I will agree some clichés are used way more than others, and some games use them horribly. On the other side of the coin, though, trying to force a game to work around the clichés when a cliché would feel more natural only makes the game awkward.

I love the tropes of a common rpg, looting shelves and treasures, going into homes and what not, exploring dungeons, and so forth, but some of the story clichés could use a make-over, especially if it deals with a hero who is suffering amnesia, and he's somehow chasing down a man in a black cape with a ragtag group of heroes, many of whom joined the hero for no apparent reason, and the end of the world is fast approaching.

Slammy

Protector of the Library
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Research? Nah, research is just for school. Never research topics, especially serious and touchy ones surrounding your game, you probably know everything you need to know anyways!

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Research? Nah, research is just for school. Never research topics, especially serious and touchy ones surrounding your game, you probably know everything you need to know anyways!

Addendum: If it's something really obscure, it doesn't have to be accurate. Who is going to know?

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Never programmed a day in your life? Here's a C++ and SMFL advanced topic book, have at it!

Clangeddin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
N/A
- Make sure there's plenty of random encounters. The more the merrier, players absolutely love them. What would be an RPG without an encounter every 4 steps?

- Add obscure missables all over the place that improve your party's strength a lot, but without any in-game clue of how to obtain. Those walkthrough and guides must serve for something. Make those missables so good that if a player misses them, he may even consider restarting the game entirely.

- Make a cast of only teenagers. No one cares about other demographics and only a band of teenagers can be a credible solution for saving the world.

- If a player tells you a certain aspect of your game is detrimental to his experience, he's clearly a hater, don't listen to him and for the love of god don't even think of modifying your game based on player's feedback!

- Balance is pointless, if the game is enticing, the player will surely try to find a way around any difficulty issue that may arise, no matter how hard or easy it is!

- Save anywhere is ALWAYS bad. Disable it right away and add only a few save points here and there in the game. On avarage you want your player to be able to save every 2 hours or so.

- Add a bunch of RNG based drops on bosses that you can fight only once. Reloading and refighting the same boss over and over until you get the drop you want is part of the fun!

- Fill the world with a bunch of useless NPCs that say generic lines like "Hello" or "Nice day, isn't it?". They absolutely add to immersion and for sure players won't feel the need to talk to every single one of them in fear of losing something important. (but they will, see point 2)

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
- Make sure there's plenty of random encounters. The more the merrier, players absolutely love them. What would be an RPG without an encounter every 4 steps?

- Add obscure missables all over the place that improve your party's strength a lot, but without any in-game clue of how to obtain. Those walkthrough and guides must serve for something. Make those missables so good that if a player misses them, he may even consider restarting the game entirely.

- Make a cast of only teenagers. No one cares about other demographics and only a band of teenagers can be a credible solution for saving the world.

- If a player tells you a certain aspect of your game is detrimental to his experience, he's clearly a hater, don't listen to him and for the love of god don't even think of modifying your game based on player's feedback!

- Balance is pointless, if the game is enticing, the player will surely try to find a way around any difficulty issue that may arise, no matter how hard or easy it is!

- Save anywhere is ALWAYS bad. Disable it right away and add only a few save points here and there in the game. On avarage you want your player to be able to save every 2 hours or so.

- Add a bunch of RNG based drops on bosses that you can fight only once. Reloading and refighting the same boss over and over is part of the fun!

- Fill the world with a bunch of useless NPCs that say generic lines like "Hello" or "Nice day, isn't it?". They absolutely add to immersion and for sure players won't feel the need to talk to every single one of them in fear of losing something important. (but they will, see point 2)

If you put all of those on the same game, it may actually become a good game.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Zombie status is now complete. I didn't have to do much in the way of changing how healing is applied to undead targets, was just a simple 3 line code. I thought I had to overhaul Game_Action lol. Everything else was doable by events. So.. Zombie: You turn undead. Your element changes to darkness. You're weak to light, you're strong to physical attacks and healing hurts you and revival items will kill you.
My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trung