What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you put all of those on the same game, it may actually become a good game.

Except for the random encounters every few steps. I love RE's in an rpg, but man do I hate when it's every few steps.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never take notes of what you wanna do or implement in game before developing, if you change your mind in the middle just delete everything and start from scratch.

Sakuri

Today is Today
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've actually been hugely hugely tempted to attempt to make an RPG with ZERO words in it. Or as close to zero as I could manage. It would be mostly a design challenge though.

Wait..... No words mean no npc's no npc's mean no towns and no towns mean no shops and no shops mean no items and no items means no weapons and no weapons mean no equipment qnd no equipment mean no defense or attack and no defense or attack mean no damage on enemies and no damage on enemies mean no chance of winning and no chance of winning mean game over and game over mean no game.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If everyone in your circle laughs at your graphics, take that to heart and blame your own art. Especially if the game ends up ignored.

Anyone who says they like your game anyway is clearly lying or an unimportant loser.

(On a serious note, I used to doubt my own graphical abilities due to a certain fandom mocking HeroSmash, which didn't look like a typical Artix game.)

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
"Start a franchise, not a game. While you're at it, make an Anime as well."

-probably Keiji Inafune on the development of Mighty No.9

Well he had to make them cry on prom night somehow...

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Kickstart your game and scam the backers into paying your game way more than what it actually costs.

Use all of your kickstarter money on Moogle hookers (But first pay a few million to transport yourself to the FF universe) rather than your actual game.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Run a kickstarter, promise everyone who funds the game things you can't deliver. Then, when the game finally comes out and people complain, say "Hey, it's better than nothing."

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never improve your designs, stick with the damn idea till the end cuz changing it will not make your game better at all.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Never improve your designs, stick with the damn idea till the end cuz changing it will not make your game better at all.

Ha! If I had done that those playing my game would think it was written by three different people.

And on that note, I have a few others:

1: Don't plan anything. Just throw items at the game and go from there. So what if your game goes from a plot involving a magical artifact to a plot involving a rogue king to a plot involving a crazed person out to take over the world. (For the record, I wrote such a story when I was 14. It reads like it had at least two different authors with all the plot hopping).

2: Buy RPGMaker and make a Pokeman game! Or a Persona clone! Or even a Mass Effect Clone!

3: Just throw random numbers into the database. Balancing is for wimps. 

4: Buy RPGMaker, then make Madden 2018 with it! 

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Writing a game script in paper beforehand is a total waste of time! Better come up with the story/characters as you work your way in the engine!

Last edited by a moderator:

LunarClassic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The worst advice I have ever received: Follow what's trending

I mean...really? Way to go in the originality department for your product if you follow that advice.

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Never make your own sprites. The ones that come with the program are very unique and will give your game a distinct style of it's own. They are made by professionals, after all.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
need a time to not open my MV,still addicted with new vegas

i wonder what addiction effect behind playing new vegas too much,maybe INT & Science gone worse in many days :D
cdjensen94 wrote on Kaliya's profile.
Are you the one who develops Kaliya's Visual Map Enhancements. If so I desperately need some help. I bought the plugin back a few months. I've only started using it recently.
Cause MP Damage instead of HP, Localization Plugin for Translation | RPG Maker News #112

Here in Fla were are seeing crazy covid spikes and some vaccinated getting bad infections. I had a mild fever on Thurs but it went down fast. How is everyone else doing. Hopefully you are all well. :)
Wish I was better at art, specifically that I was faster at it, bc this one NPC took Several Days to complete! It's gonna take So Extremely Long to do all of the art for my game, never mind writing it... Anyways, here's my gorgon, Hopernica Sthyxis!

57b88732c7abbcd84981dacf624a98495af61fcc.gifv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senppai90