What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Vomiting gravel on your keyboard gives you better results than typing with your fingers.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Make your first game ever a game that will rival Final Fantasy XV! And do it all by yourself!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Have your game beta tested by a noob! (*face palms*)

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Don't test or balance anything. Waste of time! Hey, that's what patches are for, right? Those people playing your game can just wait until you're good and ready to actually have it be playable and solid.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit the files of someone else's game, add you're name to it, and bam! You made your first game!

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@trouble time True, although some noobs, no matter how much hand-holding is in a video game, they still run around in circles. And as well, you want someone who has game experience so that they can tell you what games have good mechanics. With noobs, you never know if something is actually hard or if it's just hard for them because they are bad at video games. 

But another piece of bad advice: "Go make a Digimon game and release it to the world!" And, "Don't read any RM tutorials whatsoever! You can make a best-selling game just fine without looking in the RM community for your first game!" 

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Inspired by Halloween, this wasn't an advice expressly made for game. But I thought it might apply by genre.

My Dad (God have his soul) once tried to help me on a sci-fi French class assignment by telling me something that applies also into game narrative (I paraphrase to English here);

"When you write for sci-fi, you have to call everything astro-something and it will make it great!"

I was an avid reader of sci-fi and liked anticipation.  So, getting along with his mind...  Here is my astrohorror story as I astrotype on this astrotread those astroword to share that astrocool astrotip!  (What is better F-bombs? or Smurf talk?  But yeah in those days I couldn't just laugh until my belly ache made me explode; I had respect for my dad and he was dead serious about it and he really thought I needed his assistance so he meant astrowell!  LOL  And, of-course, I had very good grade having NOT use even an astronything!  Daddy didn't read.  My, I would had handled him some good Asimov stories.)

By curiosity, how many of you are ready to play an astrogame here?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Throw everything into your game that people like about the games they play! If the game has crafting, your game has to have crafting. If it has a cute female heroine, so must your game. If it has disco robots fighting each other in a danceathon, then, your game has to too, even if it is a fantasy game with no sci-fi in it. Make it happen.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp don't forget the Kawaii desu ne weeb trash and bikini armour! ;)  

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am sure this was said but I think it is important. "Don't worry about experience. Start with your dream project. Make sure it is ambition as you can make it. You'll learn as you go. Masterpiece achieved!"

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When making a commercial game forget the commercial part cuz your project is a jewel and people will recognize it and purchase. If PewDiePie plays it you'll get it double.

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@kovak The Pewdiepie thing is actually true, as sad as it is. There are some truly horrible games that would have never achieved what little fame they have without a famous Youtuber showcasing it. Luckily for us, it works for good games too, but those never become viral in the same way terrible games do. I think people only share things they hate because they are afraid of their friends disagreeing when they share things they like.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, but it's not guarantee that it will help as many people think.

I know a few games whose sales did not increase after Pew's videos, they are few but they do exist.

TheGamedawg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@kovak The Pewdiepie thing is actually true, as sad as it is. There are some truly horrible games that would have never achieved what little fame they have without a famous Youtuber showcasing it. Luckily for us, it works for good games too, but those never become viral in the same way terrible games do. I think people only share things they hate because they are afraid of their friends disagreeing when they share things they like.

Yes, but it's not guarantee that it will help as many people think.

I know a few games whose sales did not increase after Pew's videos, they are few but they do exist.

You know, many great games I've actually discovered and bought that I otherwise wouldn't exclusively because a Let's Player showed it off.  I once made a big list of these back when there was a lot of discussion over if Let's Plays help game sales.  Personally, I was able to think of at least 20 games off the top of my head (and that wasn't even counting freeware games), including Ni No Kuni, Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, Harvester, Undertale, the Jackbox games, Ace Attorney, including many more.

Especially on the indie side, proper coverage of a game can really boost sales, even if a playthough shows the entire game off.  It's kind of win win for everyone.  Large Let's Players get paid for their content, viewers get to see these great games that are worth their time, and devs get a lot of coverage and an audience that they otherwise would have never had access to.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you are uncertain if the gameplay is good enough, just add more gimmicks!

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Never believe in yourself

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

About the Deer, I had to cut some piece of video due the *swearing* Youtube copyrights issues...
A caveman pokes his head in...
I was listening to songs by Chuck E Cheese's voice actor (Jaret Reddick from Bowling for Soup) when the meds I was taking for my stomach virus apparently stopped working. I can't take my next dose until morning, but it's no use anyway. I'm officially sick again. Of course, I'll definitely take the next dose either way, but it's useless now.
New profile picture! This time, it's representative of my current project.
I suddenly feel like making a game for little kids: a pointless sandbox of cute animals, silly collectibles, and random mini games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpgLord69