What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I admit, I am not sure what the three tile rule is...
The three tile rule was this like, mantra back in the day that when you mapped you could never have 3 identical tiles in any direction next to each other.

It basically just made all maps cluttered, whether it made logical sense or not.

DDG

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
Make all the fan games you want, screw C&D letters. For they can not touch you if you put their trademarked name or logo in the game. It's your dream, make it big, sell it for money. After all, it was all your hard efforts to copy and paste all the assets. Oh and don't forget to let the general public know you have a signed contract with someone like Phil Rogers from Square Enix, and if any other international branch denies it, say that they have their "wires crossed".

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The three tile rule was this like, mantra back in the day that when you mapped you could never have 3 identical tiles in any direction next to each other.

It basically just made all maps cluttered, whether it made logical sense or not.
I... suppose that would have made some sense back when you had to make careful use of everything due to space constraints (like a cartridge) and resolution constraints (them old TVs), but now? Yuck. Definitely yuck.

But for bad advice now? Yes, definitely do that. Clutter those maps and make sure the player doesn't really know what to focus on.

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Make your dialogue in English, even though it's not your primary language and you can't speak it very well. English is the only language that the Internet speaks anyways... Right? RIGHT?

Polish your graphics until they look like Real Life. F*** gameplay.

Make your fighting game off of the MUGEN engine. It's not like anyone's gonna steal your custom characters and use them for "bashing" videos or stupid fights on Youtube or anything.

Base your RPG off of Hyadlide.

Base your fighting game off of Capcom All Stars.

Bob/Kaylee the hero is the best name for a main character.

Base your first person shooter off of that SSH Mod Messup mod for Half-Life (It's not like I am planning something like that or anything... *rolls eyes*)

Blame your disabilities for the flaws of your game. (Chris-Chan...)

All great first stories starts out with the hero defeating the final boss.

Want an original story? Here's one: A brave warrior saves the princess from an evil wizard. The end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Nobody will care if your story sucks as long as it looks pretty!

Use ALL of the copyrighted materials!

Make your first game a huge commercial release!

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's fine if you don't want to go through the whole process of making the game- I'm sure if you share your idea, people will jump to help you and do your project. 

People don't have nearly enough ideas nowadays, and you're the only one who has any good, original ones. Make sure they know this! Never compromise!

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Base your main graphic design on something unrealistic that you do not have the skill to do yourself, but which will need serious craftsmanship from the artist, and open a request thread, asking for someone to do it as an exclusive for you, as your game is commercial, but for free. Then wait...

Oh, and offer royalties...

SLEEP

grunge rock cloud strife
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
emglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
if your game doesn't look or play like a big studio game with 10000000000000000000x the budget why are you even trying to game make. quit.

aesthetics just don't matter one itty bitty. gameplay is king. who cares if your game looks like mud and sounds like a wet towel, as long as button pressy.

don't be one of those indie games trying to pass themselves off as real games. look, your five minute "experience" isn't a game. It's not a game. Where's the combat? Why did yoy make this. im so angry right now, my laptop is full of piss. look what you made me do, my body is covered in piss and its all youre fault.

Chester

Meow Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Cat Tongue
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok there are two big ones and they are....

1)Don't use the Base Resources/RTP

2)You should use the Base Resources/RTP

Christmas Kitten Comments

1) I guess, since everyone assumes that everyone are using them....meow...

2) They are available for a reason right meow ?

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
"Remember: when you find a resource from Google, you only need to credit Google, no one else." :)
agree with this....

credit person that create your asset... (next line is my worst advice :D ) BUT don't forget to also credit Google! Yahoo! etc since you find the resource using them.

also don't forget to credit some that ALL people forget to credit...

first of all... credit Microsoft if you're developing using windows. or Apple if using MAC.

next... don't forget to credits Intel for creating processor you made. also credit all the manufacturer that create your VGA card... RAM... harddisk...

and if you use laptop... credit it's manufacturer (ASUS for me btw)...

next in line... credit Leonard Kleinrock for his initial idea which will later make internet born.

and Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn for making it happen...

next in line... credit Brendan Eich for inventing javascript

next... credit John Vincent Atanasoff for creating first digital computer

also credit Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison which invention make us able to have electricity now...

and so on until you have credit that when printed at least 1 km long. :D

edit: forgot... you must also credit meteor strike that make dinosaurs extinct. or else human won't be able to evolve to current situation.

Bakuda

The Music Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Create an absolutely thrilling game that's driven by a solid plot.  Take the player on an epic journey, making him experience excitement and heartache.  Fully develop the characters and world so the player is fully immersed.  And then in the last 15 minutes of gameplay, throw them a plot twist so sudden that it turns everything on it's head and the last 10 hours of gameplay are now completely irrelevant.  Aliens, magic, and other worldly things are very good devices for this, especially if they've never been introduced in the game up to this point.  Be sure to end the game swiftly after doing this so the player is scratching his head in a confused stupor as the end credits are rolling.

Seriously, this is one of my biggest pet peeves with anime.  I'll get so engrossed in a show and in the last episode some kind of crazy, messed up, sci-fi thing happens that leaves me baffled.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Baduka: Funny you mention that, as one of my ways of saying forget it about a story I'm working on is to make the next line of the story "And then the aliens invaded..."

On that same line...make your final fight or one of the forms of your final fight come completely out of the blue, with no buildup (see ff9). Or, make a boss fight of yours so hard it requires a guide-dang-it to beat (see TvTropes for more on that).

Lux Fortuna

Legal Eagle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I may be new but from my limited experience I've never read any of the things posted here nor have had them said to me. I can only fathom that 1 or 2 of these were actually given as advice but perhaps I just have no idea that these are actual pieces of advice people give...

SPP

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Lux Fortuna These are intentionally bad advices for laughs and stress-relieval. Don't follow em. You have a misunderstanding I see. If I'm mistaken ignore me.

Lux Fortuna

Legal Eagle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Lux Fortuna These are intentionally bad advices for laughs and stress-relieval. Don't follow em. You have a misunderstanding I see. If I'm mistaken ignore me.
Yeah, I guess I was just commenting on how I thought the thread was supposed to be aimed at "actual" bad advice people have received as opposed to clearly horrible advice (that people have not really received). I guess I just think it's funnier when it's actual advice given as opposed to exaggerated examples. I'm a party pooper.

On the topic of bad advice received someone told me not to use the images in a game in a certain way because they said it would clutter the screen and make the text not worth reading since there would be so little room for text. Perhaps they were right but I then compared the amount of text Fire Emblem games put per line and mine allots for more than that.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't been given the actual advice I posted, but I've seen the things I've mentioned as a "running theme" among people using these programs and this website.  That's why I offered what I did offer.  I've played a fair few amount of games from here and the most frequent thing I run into is the whole "not really playtested" issue.  I have seen the map advice issue though.  People telling others to essentially clutter the holy crap out of their maps to make them "interesting" to the player.

Beyond that, yeah, I've been having fun reading this thread and all the silly things people are coming up with for things to not do, ha ha.

Bakuda

The Music Man
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Baduka: Funny you mention that, as one of my ways of saying forget it about a story I'm working on is to make the next line of the story "And then the aliens invaded..."

On that same line...make your final fight or one of the forms of your final fight come completely out of the blue, with no buildup (see ff9). Or, make a boss fight of yours so hard it requires a guide-dang-it to beat (see TvTropes for more on that).
Yes!  FF9 is my favorite final fantasy game and that final boss battle ticked me off!

Shin Kitsune

KITSUNE Game Design
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG/SPA
Primarily Uses
RMMV
agree with this....

credit person that create your asset... (next line is my worst advice :D ) BUT don't forget to also credit Google! Yahoo! etc since you find the resource using them.

also don't forget to credit some that ALL people forget to credit...

first of all... credit Microsoft if you're developing using windows. or Apple if using MAC.

next... don't forget to credits Intel for creating processor you made. also credit all the manufacturer that create your VGA card... RAM... harddisk...

and if you use laptop... credit it's manufacturer (ASUS for me btw)...

next in line... credit Leonard Kleinrock for his initial idea which will later make internet born.

and Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn for making it happen...

next in line... credit Brendan Eich for inventing javascript

next... credit John Vincent Atanasoff for creating first digital computer

also credit Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison which invention make us able to have electricity now...

and so on until you have credit that when printed at least 1 km long. :D

edit: forgot... you must also credit meteor strike that make dinosaurs extinct. or else human won't be able to evolve to current situation.
You also forgot the first one-celled living beings on Earth... If they didn't exist, evolution would not exist, and thus humans wouldn't either! LOL

Clutter your map with everything! The more objects on your map, the better! Fill your map with objects!
Fill your maps with tons of random crap!

If it does not look as cramped or even more cramped and pointless than this, you must try again.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finance your game by stealing shoes, and make sure to steal enough to afford all the alcohol you'll need, and you're gonna need it cause you'll get depressed cause everyone who critizes you will be a troll and hates you for being creative, who cares if pressing right only moves the curor right 40% of the time, that's raising the skill ceiling you worthless casuals. Your game can not afford to show too much imagination, if it's not like everything else coming out you won't have a chance at all. Also, you need to beat your players at the game, it's a competiton, you need to design the game like you're trying to keep them from winning. If everyone is beating your game you're a horrible developer. Also, you need to design your games by committe, make sure to ask everyone exactly what to put in your game and accept all advice, especially mine.

(real talk I did once get the stealing shoes part of advice, but my firend was really drunk at the time, and shoe stealing is a long running joke with us.)

Ratty524

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

It was generally geared towards cliff/cave wall tiles, actually. Arranging cliffs more than three tiles in a row with no variation between them was the quickest way to make something look unnatural and dull, so the "three tile rule" was born out of that. It didn't really have much to do with any other part of mapping, but in general you should break up any monotony in your maps to make them look interesting and/or convincing. Obviously the phrase lost a lot of its context over time. :p

As for the worst advice to give? I'd say "Don't play games."

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)
Celebrating the arrival of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere :)
When doing a map or whatever, kind of wish you could round out some parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sintigoborja