What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Be sure to try to sell your first game.

Don't waste your time with playtesting and bug fixing.  

When players complain about bugs, it's their problem.  Your game is perfect as it is.

Make your maps as wide open as possible.  Every inn should be 256x256 even if it just has an innkeeper and a bed.  Players love walking across empty space.  It makes the game feel huge and epic.

Don't add any music or sound effects.  Players don't like the distraction.

Only use a single enemy sprite.  You can change its color to make as many enemies as you want.

Make your puzzles as obscure and illogical as possible, and don't offer any hints.  Players love a challenge.

Don't worry about a story.  Toss in whatever you like.

Reavenator

Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
During several points in the game, make the way to progress as bizarre and unintuitive as possible so that the only way the player could figure it out is by walking around aimlessly for hours, or by reading a guide.

for example: having to guess a secret code.

If video games of old sometimes did this, surely it has to be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Make whatever is in your heart!*

*as long as it is 1) flappy and 2) a bird

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
the main character is not a female, your a sexist person. Your main character is white, your a racist.  

Not exactly advice but its what I see in the gaming community oO

Brillenpinguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@DarknessFalls: Funny thing is, I actually got a reversed comment about this! Something along the lines of "Your character can't be a female, most gamers are male, they won't identify with them".

There are two kinds of people I guess ._.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't play other games of similar genres and styles to get ideas, that's stealing.

Please don't ask your friends about what they think of your game. They will all hate it because it's not a AAA game.

Make the soundtrack for your game before you even have the entire story written.

Give in to feminazis that want every protagonist to be a girl and every antagonist to be a guy; this is the way the industry is going.

Quit your day job to pursue video game making, it'll put bread on your table.

Create all of your graphics in MS Paint.

If you are the only person working on the game, make sure you credit yourself for every category (Story: John, Graphics: John, Director: John, Producer: John, Music: John, Legal: John, Sound Effects: John, Management: John, Created by John Enterprises Ltd).

Quantity is better than quality. Who wants to play a beautiful RPG that is 5 hours long, when they can play a grindfest that is 500 hours long with wide open maps with nothing in them? Nobody, the answer is nobody.

And last, but not least, make sure you always shave so that people don't know you've been working hard on your game. It is the best way to prevent leaks from happening.

SPP

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Game inspired by [game name here] = fangame

Original ideas only!

SLEEP

grunge rock cloud strife
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
emglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wait do I see some fanservice? Get that **** outta here! You ned to censor that ****, in fact censor everything I find immoral in this game.
Give
1c103l8.png
 huge tity. Real Talk No Jokes.

byronclaude

Master of all things... (except the things I am no
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Don't have any sidequests...  the player should be able to stay focused on winning the game only, not exploring it, or having any fun with it.

Don't have a lot of dialogue...  the player should be able to stay focused on winning the game only, not exploring it, or having any fun with it.

Don't make puzzles that make the player think...   the player should be able to stay focused on winning the game only, not exploring it, or having any fun with it.

Limit the size of your maps...  make them all super small.  This will help the player stay focused on winning, rather than exploring or having any fun.

Do not include surprises, tragedy, or complexity or any kind ever.

Essentially, make a single map with your player on one side, and your final boss on the other, then autorun your player over to the boss...   only then will your player like your game.  

Oh yeah!  And never EVER use RTP...   even though at times the resource is EXACTLY what is needed and nothing else will do.  RTP has been deemed EVIL...    how dare anyone ever think of using it for anything.

Go commercial right away, and charge a whole bunch of money for your game!  Good luck and Cheers!

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I don't like x, do y. Or you're doing it wrong and no one will play your game.

Reavenator

Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Make every character sarcastic and snarky, and that's it. That automatically makes them well written.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Don't have a lot of dialogue...  the player should be able to stay focused on winning the game only, not exploring it, or having any fun with it.
I've actually been hugely hugely tempted to attempt to make an RPG with ZERO words in it. Or as close to zero as I could manage. It would be mostly a design challenge though.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been thinking of doing something similar, Fuzzy. Even if just a short little thing. I've always been interested in what can be conveyed non verbally. Since a video game is a multimedia experience, I think it would be a great experiment to rely on the non-written parts of the medium. A lot of people struggle with "show vs tell" and that could definitely be a neat exercise to think about solutions for that issue.

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Careful applications of balloons and icons, and that could be an interesting game...

...Though, are we talking zero dialogue, or zero words? Menus could get a wee bit tricky without words, after all. ;)

ARMR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Use the premade maps that come with the system for sure! Don't modify them!

Oh here's a horrendous one: Publish the game without finishing it, just when your PCs are going into the finally cut to credits!

Moop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Make sure you stuff a bunch of main characters in your story; like around forty if you wanna be hardcore. The people who are your true fans will  remember all their names/backstories/dealies.

Don't worry about character development. "Love interest" or "stand-in for someone you hate in life" is good enough.

Also, if the character is you, make them awesome with no flaws what so ever. Nobody wants to be depressed and statistics say thinking scares people, so no deep, thought-provoking crap.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
make sure your Male Main Character have Harem of Pretty woman and they are ok with each other...

R*pe a woman to save her life from injury (yin yang energy fusion) is okay...

make your MC no matter happen won't die because he wear the strongest equip called "PLOT ARMOR"...

wait... it's a critic to certain light novel... sorry wrong thread LOL. :D .

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magenz