What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
the less skin is covered, the more the heroine is protected. 

EVEN againt's fire.
this could be true... by showing more skin... the male member will cover all the attack directed to her more often. not even fire... even the Dark Lord Energy Blast will not harm her if someone blocking it :D .

OM3GA-Z3RO

Wounded Seraphim
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
1. Don't bother checking your games dialogues, people are okay with grammar and spelling mistakes.

2. When making a long dungeon, don't bother putting a single save point in it to make it challenging, people         love a challenge with no save points and over 5 minibosses.

3.Don't bother making custom spell animations, RPGmaker has already supplied vanilla animations you need.

4. Make your game as basic and easy as possible. People don't enjoy too much content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luminous

Twilight Memoria
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Bring a very good map with RTP Style... Post it at SGL.

Someone comment, If you are making game with RPG Maker and post it at Steam Greenlight please don't use RTP resource!! Make your OWN asset! (vote down for RTP) lol...

DarknessFalls

Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
if your games graphics dont look amazing no one will care

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yo, I've got something I can't believe I didn't think of before.

Make bussiness descisions and treat your employees like Konami, they do everything right.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Telling somebody to customize everything, and making them feel foolish and less of a person for using defaults. Seriously, it's fine to customize once you get the know-how down and ready to dive into something a bit more serious, but sometimes I think developers get way ahead of themselves and forget that newbies first goal shouldn't be to customize all their resources and scripts, but to learn how to actually use the software.

GabeNotNewell

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
The worst advice I would give to an RPG Maker user would be give up, it's not worth it.

ThatMaestroGuy

You are lovely~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How could I have missed this thread!? XD Some of these are hilarious!!

Use only ONE background music for your entire game, right from its title screen. Repitition is key.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Only use the rtp default database settings.

If you cannot manage that, try to keep at least one category completely untouched.

TheGamedawg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Only use the rtp default database settings.

If you cannot manage that, try to keep at least one category completely untouched.

I've done this for a free game I made.  I personally don't see the shame in using default assets.  They're their for a reason.  And honestly, not everyone is a great artist nor can afford one.

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've done this for a free game I made.  I personally don't see the shame in using default assets.  They're their for a reason.  And honestly, not everyone is a great artist nor can afford one.

I think he means the skills enemies and all that jazz, not the default assets. In which case what's wrong with them is that the default stuff is kinda boring to play with.

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What Trouble Time said.

Not assets, but the default settings.

It screams lazy when the settings (enemies, actors, animations, skills, etc) are the default values or minimally changed (and other things, like lack of care put into the game).

This is especially true with animations. Way to many games do not even mess with the animations themselves and just change the skill name (and/or effect of the skill).

How many games must have a fire spell that uses the default fire animation (read: unaltered in any way) as one of the first skills introduced?

Shibas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Random encounters are your best way to increase your game time and play experience. Use them as much as you can.  I think  every three steps are optimal cause it gives the player the feeling he battle against an army of evil monster. And dont forget to make a long opening and ending sequence for your default battles, player will love this. And last but not least...let every of your spells look like knights of the round from ff7 then it will be epic.

Ekanselttar

It's Finally Happening
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Make your first game the best game you can imagine! "We all gotta start somewhere" is a myth! Create the game of your dreams from your first try! Go big or go home.

Use a lot of clichés! Players love clichés.

Don't prototype! Your systems are already working in tip-top shape in your mind.Why shouldn't they work while in execution?

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If your kickstarter is successful, spend your money on liquor, restauraunts, and strippers.

...mentioning restauraunts makes me really want some chinese food.

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You should absolutely use the default RTP hero sprites! Everyone loves playing Ralph in every single game. 

You HAVE to parallax map or your game looks like crap

You CANNOT parallax map because it somehow limits game-play and is pretentious 

No one will care if you use the monstrosity VX Ace generated faces

Don't bother shelling out a few bucks for some good custom assets. Make everything yourself, even if it sucks! Anything is better than the RTP!

Baerthe

Design Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All transparency MUST BE pink and everything MUST be done in paint with google image copys; or your game will suck.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keda27