What's the WORST advice you can give as a game developer?

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
kinda ot, but there are people who make FFII rip offs? Isn't that one where there was barely any story and all just really shallow game play (for the time it was great, that was like NES era)???

Also bad advice would be to:

make your female characters as hot and sexy and booby as you can. even if it clashes with their personality (which itself doesn't matter, btw)

your hero can have no flaws or people will hate them

take much inspiration from other games even if you don't know how to use it without copy-pasting their formulas with a slightly altered story.

How does someone's body type clash with their personality?

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How does someone's body type clash with their personality?

Not to get ot, but I did not about body type. I mean when like every single female character shows a ton of cleavage in skimpy versions of realistic clothing for the time, even when they have shy/meek personalities or are a tomboy who 'hates girly things'. 

This isn't every game and it's not that a busty, sexy girl is bad, but it's quite clear when it's only done for pervy reasons. It's just annoying. 

Allusion

♕ The Girl Who Lived (for chocolate) ♛
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm...my bad advice would be; try to please everyone. Different strokes for different folks? Phsst, that's the way losers talk.

Also, don't take a break from developing...ever. It is taboo.

It's not a good idea to check for tile passibility, either. I mean, I LIKE climbing into blank space by walking up a window. It's what I live for. Don't take it away from me.

Lastly, take great care to keep your volume as inconsistent as possible. I want the BGM of the home village to put my volume at 25, but when the boss battle comes, It better make my ears ring, or I'll be knocking off a star. You have only five. Unless you failed this step--in which case you have only four. ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Remember to use tons of ripped resources in your commercial project.

Make sure to make your very own Pokemon like game all by yourself.

Use plenty of anime referenes, especially the obscure ones.

Especially, use anime style all over.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That last one made me think of another...

"Mix and match your resources. A variety of art styles will make the game more interesting."

Sakuri

Today is Today
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
kinda ot, but there are people who make FFII rip offs? Isn't that one where there was barely any story and all just really shallow game play (for the time it was great, that was like NES era)??? I've never actually played FFII, just basing that off FFI.

Sorry, i was talking about the Western FF2 aka FF4

also, make a story as confusing as every KH combined..... people will love it.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Always ALWAYS have 100s of characters who are all carbon copies of each other that you only meet once!

Never ever ever explain anything!

Always say that everything bad is because of some random bad dude in a cliche cape with an evil laugh!

And most of all NEVER EVER be even slightly inventive whatsoever!

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
i LOVE this thread!! HAHAH!!

I would have to say my best worst advice to give to a newb is listen to EVERYone on the forums. They know how YOU want to make YOUR game.

//rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_wink.gif

Chorvaqueen

Professional Tonio Apologist
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"Pander to tumblr, GOTY."

Brillenpinguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
GREAT advices I got the past months:

"A game doesn't have to be fun, as long as it's functional."
"Your game would be better, if you used this or that engine."

"Needs more cutscenes. I don't wanna read the codex entries."

"You should add the villain to your romance options, they're HOT!"

AwesomeCool

Bratty and spoiled little sister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
How is that bad advice :( ?

I agree, how is this bad advice by itself?

The idea of the main villain being a romance option could add to a game (of course it could be done poorly, but what cannot be done poorly?), whether it be for story, character development, or other reasons. 

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How is that bad advice :( ?

Maybe they are referring to the idea that it has to be a romance option just because the character looks attractive?

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Captainproton: Ha! Wasn't there an IGMC game one year on that idea? A slime falling in love with Eric?

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@Captainproton: Ha! Wasn't there an IGMC game one year on that idea? A slime falling in love with Eric?

Yeah!  And someone made a little movie a few years back with XP about something like that.

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do absolutely NOTHING that has been done before, no matter who likes it.

That's not even possible. It is said that there are no new ideas, only old ideas with new perspectives.

The idea of the main villain being a romance option could add to a game (of course it could be done poorly, but what cannot be done poorly?), whether it be for story, character development, or other reasons. 

Indeed, when one approaches game story writing from a broader perspective, "hero" and "villain" are arbitrary labels. In any story, you have a protagonist and an antagonist. Sometimes that antagonist isn't even a person, but nature or even the protagonist's own inner turmoil. The antagonist being a romantic option for the protagonist might be difficult to pull off in a game, but if done right it could be very compelling.

It worked for Shakespeare anyway.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
That's what makes it bad advice

Crocandthemoon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it's not fun, just make really good graphics and people won't notice.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsumiYZ