What's the worst that can happen if one uses random graphics in a non-commercial game with credits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There's just so much that makes me want to be able to do more than just look at it... and since visiting pinterest, it began sending me stuff through email...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can be sued for damages, with the cost for the defense lawyers being enough to put you into debt for decades.

While this rarely happens for non-commercial games that is only because the IP holder knows most peoples doing this can't pay anyway. The law itself has absolutely no difference between commercial and non-commercial copyright violation, it's just that going commercial guarantees being sued.

additionally, because this is a company site you'll be automatically banned here if you state that intention as a fact.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
FBI will hunt you down. It's the truth!
No, it is not. The FBI gets involved in IP infringement where someone is running a major company with large profits, or a substantial piracy ring.

For something on the scale of a single video game released on the Internet, the IP holders can sue you and get any Web hosts to stop providing access to the game.

I'm not sure if you meant it as a joke, but misinformation like that doesn't help to educate people.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As Andar said, you can be sued for damages, so it will definitely not be worth it for you.

It's also disrespectful to use the pictures without permission. It's just such a big no go.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Thank you.

Please be aware that admitting to using ripped graphics/resources or graphics/resources you knowingly do not have permission to use can result in a permanent ban from these forums.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, questions can't be asked now, @mlogan? I'm sure that'll help so much especially with regards to such a topic as copyright. Which would help unbelievably much with actually avoiding such problems. Amazingly much...

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah. Be sarcastic and condescending with a mod. That'll go over well after trying to rip graphics.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I didn't try anything except to ask a question. Sarcasm is also vital for sanity.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Your title was a question, but the post itself showed intent. That is why mlogan gave you a warning.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh, wow, so thoughts are a crime now? When's Minority Report happening? Or, oh, 1984? I suppose everyone fully owns their avatars too... but if not someone managed to forget to mention it, in which case... wouldn't that be terribly deficient?

If I didn't have the thoughts... why and how could I have asked in the first place? You usually ask without thinking?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When did I say you can't ask questions? If this sort of question weren't allowed, I would have locked and/or unapproved the thread.

Now, you're not allowed to ask for getting help using ripped graphics or those you otherwise are not allowed to use. We respect creators and their terms of use. We also cannot allow, say, questions regarding how to use ripped Pokemon graphics in your game. That is because it opens up Degica, the company that owns these forums, to lawsuits from Nintendo.

This is why the forums rules clearly state:

2.3 We do not support use of ripped materials (those taken from someone else's game - especially, but not limited to, commercial games). Do not ask for ripped resources or for help with ripping resources. Do not post them in your own thread or in response to a request. Do not ask for help with formatting ripped resources or for any other assistance getting them working in your game. If you post a game or demo here using ripped resources, we will remove your game if requested by the copyright owner.

And again, I wasn't saying you can't ask questions about the use of them - there are plenty of topics asking similar. But they all have the same answer - it's not legal, it puts you at risk of legal trouble, and we don't allow it here.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, I was simply wondering if non-commerciality makes any difference.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And that's fine. I just wanted to clarify - particularly as you have a current thread trying to get help formatting graphics - that it's not something we tolerate here. (I do see that those graphics are obtainable freely on itch.)

But no, non-commercial does not make it okay, unless stated so by the original artist/company. It is still illegal.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Please be aware that admitting to using ripped graphics/resources or graphics/resources you knowingly do not have permission to use can result in a permanent ban from these forums.
We do not support use of ripped materials (those taken from someone else's game - especially, but not limited to, commercial games). Do not ask for ripped resources or for help with ripping resources. Do not post them in your own thread or in response to a request. Do not ask for help with formatting ripped resources or for any other assistance getting them working in your game. If you post a game or demo here using ripped resources, we will remove your game if requested by the copyright owner.

You made it sound as if just using ripped resources is enough to warrant an immediate ban, which is not the case according to the rule you post. I was confused for a bit and wondered if the rule has changed again.

OP: You are solely responsible for whatever issues that might arise. However, the chance of you being sued is very minimal, next to none. Nintendo is sort of a special case... Most companies won't care, since they have better things to do than going after an amateur who uses ripped resources for a silly non-commercial game. Unless your project becomes really big somehow. Otherwise, all those fan games and flash games you see would have been wiped out of existence.

Also, define "random graphics". Are you talking about ripped resources? Or some random pictures from Google? The latter is hard to say, because they can be found and used by anyone. No one even knows where those pictures actually came from. So using some picture on Google for a non-commercial game is even less likely to land you in hot water. Welp. Unless lady luck really despises you. At worst, you'd have to remove whatever graphics you used.

Since we're on this subject: I'm a firm believer of "make the game you want". If you're making some silly game for your own amusement and not planning to make money off of it, then do as you please. At the end of the day, you enjoy your creation, whatever the heck it turns out to be.
This is a forum for mostly developers. You are not making the game for them.
A typical player might or might not recognize what resources you took from. Maybe just make it clear what stuff you used. Or just hush. Until they ask. Having said that, try to not use too much. If I see or recognize a few ripped resources from a game, I'll just chuckle a bit. But if everything is ripped, then I might scratch my head, unless it's a straight up fan game. Unlike the majority of folks here, I have a soft spot for fan games. Well, depending on what kind of game you want to make, use appropriate amount of "borrowed resources".

Oh, wow, so thoughts are a crime now? When's Minority Report happening? Or, oh, 1984? I suppose everyone fully owns their avatars too... but if not someone managed to forget to mention it, in which case... wouldn't that be terribly deficient?

Also, that attitude is a big no-no. It'd only make people tolerate you less.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've only skimmed through the responses, so am likely repeating what others have said.

As far as ethics - what's right and wrong - it's never right to use someone else's resources in your game without their permission. It doesn't matter whether it's a commercial game or a free one. And it doesn't matter if the resource is something they have posted to show people but didn't intend to use, or something you "found" online that someone else posted without permission, or something that you or someone else has taken from someone else's game (and again, it doesn't matter whether the game they were taken from is free or commercial).

As far as the worst that can happen - that depends on who owns the resources and how angry they are that you've used them and what their policy is. Again it doesn't matter if your game is commercial or free, though the owners may feel more strongly about it and be more motivated to do something if you are making money from your game in any way. They may take you to court. They may require your game to be removed from distribution. They may complain to whoever is looking after the platform(s) where your game is hosted, which could result in you not being able to share any of your games on that platform anymore.

And as far as this forum?

If the resources are sold by Komodo (Degica) on either the forum store or steam, and you use them without paying, you absolutely will be banned immediately.

2.2 Piracy of our own products here is not tolerated, and falls under our instant ban rules.

If the resources are shown here by another forum member who didn't intend for others to use them, but you did use them, they may make a complaint and your game thread here will be removed.

If the resources came from another game and the owner of that game or those resources make a complaint, your game thread here will be removed. In fact if we realise when you post the game thread that you are using ripped resources, there's a good chance we won't even approve it.

If the resources came from another game, whether the owner of that game or those resources make a complaint or not, you cannot ask for help to get those resources working in your game, and if you do, your thread will be closed even if your question hasn't been answered.

All of the above applies whether you are making a commercial game or a free game.
And it applies whether you give credit or not - giving credit doesn't mean you're suddenly allowed to use stuff that you'd otherwise not be allowed to use.

So the background image that you posted about in another thread ... because that has been shared publicly by the artist and is freely available for use, it's okay for you to ask for help with it. But if it had been ripped from another game (whether you had ripped it yourself or simply downloaded it after someone else ripped it and shared it without permission), you would not be able to get help here with it, and your thread would be closed.

Last edited:

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Honestly, this is a lot of nonsense over a forum - it's not like you magically know what everyone is doing behind these threads and posts, and somehow implying that even thinking it is wrong (people before seemed to do) is the most supreme of absurdity... and yeah, you don't need to approve the image I was trying to load, it's not like I don't know what CC0 is. Seriously, what a waste of time those 'rules' are, because unless you can magically monitor the lives of all posters (which, I don't know, considering I heard even hues seem to want to be owned... some might wish they could do) - it's all such a waste of time. I didn't even ask about anything to do with copyright in relation to this forum, but hey, I certainly got all the answers and more... which is such a waste of pixels, honestly, per the reasons stated above.

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, that is similar to what the likes of Putin say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Imagine having a game broken up into a whole bunch of chapters? Like Chapter 11 should be about the party members going bankrupt.
Over 1/4th of the calendars are already out :eek: Have you already put something to a good use?
Where would you go if you're looking to hire someone on here? I'm in need of a writer to take my story concept and turn it into npcs/dialog in my game.
Evening humans! How goes the game make?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiricoMino