What's up with events?

Dylstew

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Sorry for the amount of threads I make xP. Anyways:

In RMXP if I place an event on an object I can't walk trough, I have to stand next to it while facing it , press the action button and it will work.

In VX Ace however, It seems I have to stand exactly ON the event itself or it won't work, which means I'd have to put 3 of the same event next to the object, what's up with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can you check if the priority is set to Same as Characters ?

I think it is set to Below characters, as it would act like this if it were the case.

Dylstew

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Can you check if the priority is set to Same as Characters ?

I think it is set to Below characters, as it would act like this if it were the case.
It acts like this regardless of the priority :(

I put an event on a pillar thingie  from rpg maker XP Woods the tileset, and when I press the action button it's supposed to show text, a reaction from the character to the object.But it only happens if I place it where the character can walk.

Galenmereth

I thought what I'd do was
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you set the Trigger to Action Button? Like this:

Dylstew

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Ooh, It's victors Pixel movement script. never expected that, I've always used pixel movement scripts in xp without any problems.

edit: It says in the script in comments:

''Event Comment boxes note tags:#   Tags to be used on events Comment boxes.##  <move steps: x>#   Setup the number of steps each "Move" command will execute. The default#   value is 8 (1 tile)#     x : number of steps##  <event size: x, y>#   Collision area size, in pixels for event collisions.#     x : collision area width#     y : collision area height##  <front collision>#   Events with this tag won't start if the the collision between events and#   the player occur between their edges.##  <no side collision fix>#   Events with this tag won't have the "slide" effect when the edges of the#   events collide with the player##  <over tile>#   Events with this tag will start even when placed over blocked tiles.#   By default, if the passage is blocked the event don't start.##  <each step trigger>#   By default, events with through or bellow character priority triggers#   only one time for each 8 steps above them. With this tag though, the#   event will trigger every step.#''I tried <over tile> as a comment in the events, but nothing changes.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
disable the script and see if it works - just to make sure it IS the script that's causing it.

Dylstew

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
disable the script and see if it works - just to make sure it IS the script that's causing it.
Yeah, that's what I did. It does work without it. So I asked Victor:

Me:

''So I put an event on an impassable Tile.

I put it on ”action button ” and priority ”same as cjaracter”

If I stand next to the impassable tile( A pillar in this case) and press the action button a message should pop up. This works without the script, but if I use the script, nothign happens no matter what I do in-game.''

Victor:

“Nothing happens no matter what i do in-game”. Try doing something outside of the game, like reading the instructions

<over tile>

# Events with this tag will start even when placed over blocked tiles.

# By default, if the passage is blocked the event don't start.'''

Me:

Actually, I tried that. Still, nothing happens. I went to the event, clicked ”comment” andI put the in there, am I doing something wrong?

Victor:

Considering that in the tests the script works fine, probably.

Me:

"And that’s exactly why I’m asking you, so you might be able to tell me what I’m doing wrong?''

To be honest I find his replies to be a bit rude(at least that's what it seems like), but maybe he's just really tired of people not being able to figure things out, I can't really judge him.

edit: Whoops, I copied the conversation wrong, now I fixed it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you need to give more info before anyone (even victor) can start to help, for example screenshots of the full event to see if all comments and tags are entered correctly, and links to all other scripts you're using to be able to check for compatibility problems.

We can't guess what you have done in the game, so we can't guess where you made an error, you need to show us that part of your game - describing what you've done never works, especially not if there are typos or if you simply didn't know of another setting that might conflict and thereby never describe how you set it...

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, Victor doesn't have much time for people who don't read the instructions in his scripts. Seeing some of the questions he gets asked, and knowing what I see is just the tip of the iceberg, I can't really blame him.

Maybe you have other scripts that are affecting this. Re-enable the pixel movement script, then disable others that handle movement or event triggers, and see if it starts working.

Dylstew

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Yeah, Victor doesn't have much time for people who don't read the instructions in his scripts. Seeing some of the questions he gets asked, and knowing what I see is just the tip of the iceberg, I can't really blame him.

Maybe you have other scripts that are affecting this. Re-enable the pixel movement script, then disable others that handle movement or event triggers, and see if it starts working.
yeah, I thought so. I understand Victor.  But your suggestion is what I tried this morning(only basic module and Victor's script, but that didn't work. I'm going to try to make a new project and try again

I think you need to give more info before anyone (even victor) can start to help, for example screenshots of the full event to see if all comments and tags are entered correctly, and links to all other scripts you're using to be able to check for compatibility problems.

We can't guess what you have done in the game, so we can't guess where you made an error, you need to show us that part of your game - describing what you've done never works, especially not if there are typos or if you simply didn't know of another setting that might conflict and thereby never describe how you set it...
Thanks for the tip. Also, I noticed you can't edit your comments on Victor's site...I always make really stupid typo's or forget to say something. and yup, as I expected my first comment has a big typo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Jamaica? No, Aunty. I said, I'm on RPG Maker :*/
Lunar New Year is over :( but it's time to get back to work!
I keep giving myself deadlines because I'm so excited to finish something but I notice areas where I'm rushing the story and that's what's gonna weaken my overall project, gotta stop that
My new level features a Jellyfish character who cannot love, because he electrocutes everything he touches.
I prefer single roommates. After a hard day, all you want is sleep. I went to bed at 12. I was awakened at 2 because of my roommate laughing and whispering and stuff with her boyfriend on the phone. I didn't want to yell at her so I had to bear that cringy lovey dovey convo for half an hour, before I got so bored that I fell asleep again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voxie