what's was your first art software you used and what your newest?

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi guys I was more curious!

what's was you first art software you used on the computer : D ??

for myself this Paint tool sai ....I just recently after some trial and error with multiple software who don't really satisfied me ....to jump on Clip Studio Paint EX simply because this a professionnal manga making software who have mostly all the stuff I need for doing my mangas ! 

so for you guys what's for you?

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I myself started out with good old MS paint, then I was young and wasn't serious at all with art. I ended up drawing stick figures or other random scribbles. Then it got serious with Paint.net where I started Photoshopping stuff and tracing my lines, it was terrible in there just terrible. I love Photoshop that is the go to program for drawing with me now a days. It is an old version that they released for free, but that doesn't matter it works like a charm..... and paint.sai being a non freeware program after thirty days I didn't settle with it :p .

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OCP Art Studio, but I didn't use it for long.

Then a huge gap before hitting Gimp two years ago.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Moved to General Lounge, not that it was in the wrong place, it just seems more appropriate.

My first art software was NEOchrome.  I still miss the easy color cycling, I bet I could do some really cool stuff with it now.  Now I use a lot of stuff, Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint, Painter and Pyxel Edit, depending on what type of art I'm wanting to make.  I keep trying to use Krita too, since it's got this awesome canvas wrap feature that makes it nice to make painted seamless tiles, but it doesn't get along with Photoshop, I have to restart my computer if I use Krita otherwise Photoshop won't start.  As far as I can tell, I'm the only one who has this problem.

Gui

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
It wasn't a software strictly speaking but a programming system called Logo: you programmed the path of a cursor called the turtle which drew the drawing while following this path – I'm talking of a time that the less than 30 cannot know...

I then used a bit of ColorPaint on my TO7-70, but that is another old geezer thing  ^^

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, couldn't remember what it was called, but after some research I'm sure it was a version of Deluxe Paint. Though, I think I was mostly just enamored with the colour changing brush - it's not like I ever did anything super fancy with it.

I used MSPaint for a loooooong time before my dad got his hands on photoshop (and even then I would do my line art in paint and only colour in photoshop for the longest time) Now I mostly use Paint Tool Sai and then port things over to Adobe if I need to do anything special with effects or lighting gradients or text.

Caz

Green Eyes Blonde Dragon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first ever program was MS Paint when I was about two years old, which I would obviously only ever really scribble with. Back when we had ball mice, I recall the ball getting lost at one point a couple years later and I still persevered for some reason and put my fingers into the mouse to draw with. It's.. a challenge, I can tell you that much. But yeah I used that for ages, up until I was about 16 or so.

I had this freaky fascination with Sonic sprites, and I loved recolouring and Frankenspriting them in MS Paint. Recolouring a whole spritesheet in MS Paint is the least fun thing in the world, I don't know why I put up with doing it for so long for something so worthless, but I honestly learnt so much about pixel placement and how to properly control a mouse when pixelling. It was like one of those brutal training montages you see in the movies where the hero returns to his routes and has to do some tedious, repetitive task for months on end.

My mother is a massive Photoshop nerd too. She introduced me to Paint Shop Pro when I was about 6, and I had a lot of fun editing photos and colouring lineart. She and I have since moved on from PSP though.

After 16, I started using GIMP and never really stopped. I've been told countless times that I should be using something more suited to pixelling, but I'm just so comfortable like this. I've dabbled in a few non-pixelly things in the meantime like Sai and Manga Studio, but they gather a lot of dust compared to GIMP. I'm not much of an artist outside of the occasional pixel spree.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But what music plays over that training montage of MS Pixel recolour nightmares. (You did at least know about the right click eraser trick, right? I think it was a right click to do it.)

I wish I remembered the name of my first tablet. It was some scrap thing my dad got as parts for Computers for Schools that he fixed back up again for my sister and I. It didn't have a pen, but this strange mouse like... thing?? It was weird and it didn't work very well, but you could put paper under the top layer and trace over your lines. (the wand/mouse thing's crosshair like pointer was clear so you could see where you were on the image.) So I only ever used it to painstakingly transfer paper drawn sketches into MS paint.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did traditional art my whole life. So aside from some amusing play around in MS Paint, my first attempt at actual digital art was done in Photoshop CS6 about two years ago. My last year of college I decided after all the years of saying "I should learn Photoshop" to actually take a basic five week course my university offered and they taught me everything I know. Which isn't much. But apparently I can make things that look like pictures so it must have been a win.

If I may turn the tables to reflect my music making. My first music making application was Finale Notepad. If you're a true beginner it's not the worst to learn the ropes, but honestly, it sucks. Only 8 staves and it lacks basic functions like changing tempo and key at will. Boo. Hiss. Yuck. If you want something free, definitely do MuseScore instead.

However, I upgraded to the full version of Finale in 2008 and I love it. Full version is a completely different story. It rocks. It's not the most accessible application if you can't read music and I can see why people don't use it. But I continue to use it because I know the program forwards and back. Every time I try to use something else it just feels wrong. Last year I also started using LMMS as my first DAW. And a couple months ago I started using VST plugins and I have Native Instruments for those. I love my Native Instruments.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
My first: Some MSX paint program.

Latest: Photoshop.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm :  oh hahah you  have Clip studio : D !? for myself I never use MS Paint but for pixels I use Paint.net!

@caz : I admit sai can make dust but for admit the reason is because the default pen don't have a opacity and stroke stability XD

@Ms-Littlefish : well music is a ART xD! so this not bother if you speak about music c: ! 

and yeah photoshop is good for making paint as I heard >w>

Caz

Green Eyes Blonde Dragon
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But what music plays over that training montage of MS Pixel recolour nightmares. (You did at least know about the right click eraser trick, right? I think it was a right click to do it.)
I did everything with the fill can, and I didn't find out about the right-click eraser until muuuuch later on. Every sprite took a painstaking amount of time. Whole sheets would take an evening away.

And I'd like to choose this as my MS Paint training montage theme~

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Ned

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MS Paint, though only a few times (didn't have my own computer back then). Still have my first digital drawing printed out somewhere. It was... pixel-y. I was around 12, 13 years old I think. And the anatomy was only okay-ish because I traced some shapes from a photograph inside a magazine via mouse as a base to draw over.

I also have very vague and fuzzy memories of Paint Shop Pro and Corel Photopaint as well as an ancient version of Painter. But that was very long ago.

Nowadays, I'm mainly using Photoshop CS6 for... Everything, I guess. Drawing, painting, editing stuff, adjusting levels on a scanned-in form...

Sometimes I'm still using Paint Tool SAI for lineart, since it makes my lines look smooth and pretty. It has that wonderful "Flip horizontally" command without actually flipping the image, that's another plus. Photoshop always eats up so much time when flipping stuff horizontally to check for errors.

mayorswaim

Swami
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My main first was probably gimp or paint.net, but now I use Mischief or Paint Tool Sai

Gradian

Paperbag Sloth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English-M'sian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ms paint was basically the only thing available on all computers we had back then. I even remember as a kid I tried making a doll house within ms paint, where i'd just paint over spots and redraw block people in another area of the canvas. Then I found photoshop CS2 on my mom's computer a few years later (when I was 12) and struggled drawing with the mouse (I had no scanner nor a tablet, as scanners were expensive and tablets back then were somewhat exclusive to the bigger countries). I don't really like my works back then since I had the mouse limitation, but no struggles no gain.

New softwares now are GIMP (im still struggling to figure out this program and its funky shortcut keys) and FireAlpaca. I would've said SAI along with the new softwares but I had that for a long while now and FireAlpaca and GIMP were pretty recent on my computers.

I use SAI and FireAlpaca (It's free and upgrades from time to time) interchangeably. SAI for its wide ranges of brush adjustments and is mainly used for colouring, FireAlpaca for linearting and comics and is somewhat much easier to draw in it with my tablet (I couldnt get used to drawing on SAI nor photoshop no matter how much I changed the tablet's settings back and forth). If only FireAlpaca had the screentone options then it would be (near) perfect.

GIMP and Photoshop are just mostly used for editing and other functions they have that the other two programs cant do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olivier

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My first art software was Paint.NET, my school's computers had it. I used to draw while my classmates would say, "DID YOU DRAW THAT!?!?!"

Now I'm using Corel Painter.  :)   I'm still not a very good artist.

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First: MS Paint

Latest: Gimp, Krita, And other programs that I can get my hands on.

Unless if Adobe also sell one time purchase instead monthly payment scheme today, I would use Photoshop. But no...

Mostly I only use free stuffs since that what I really need and to lessen my budget for much more important thing for all game projects.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
It was Paint, on my first computer, a DOS behemoth with only two colors, black and green. You couldn't paint in colors, only patterns. Pictures printed out on our dot-matrix printer, one screeching line per second.

Then, I graduated to the Windows 3.1 version of Ms Paint, and then on to the 95 version, and so on. I dabbled with Corel Paintbrush in highschool and got my first taste of Photoshop the next year, really using it in earnest when i got to college, around the time Photoshop CS was introduced. I also became pretty skilled in Adobe Illustrator, winning a top prize in the college art show. But I never owned my own copy of Photoshop until years after I graduated, when I could buy my own computer, our old family compy having long since bit the dust. And I still use good old Photoshop Elements 6.

sapiboong

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
It was MS Paint. Still remember the time I draw silly drawing using mouse.

Now: Combination of Paint tool SAI, Manga Studio EX5, and Photoshop. I'm too used to Paint tool SAI inking to start using Manga Studio (despite all the delicious features D: ) 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Playing with colour ramps. The first set is the originals, the ones only facing forward in different colour schemes are the new colours.

I present... MAGIC (in progress)

No vaccine till at least spring 2021. Have not seen our parents since Dec 2019. But at least we can phone each other. How is everyone else's situation?
:( ... sigh, having trouble knowing where to draw highlights. Novice pixel artist issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KUTSHKY