Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Pixel art has exploded over the last decade, so beg's the question.  What's your favorite pixel art tool?

The interface is pretty much a make or break since you technically could do everything in mspaint, don't think macOS ships with a paint program anymore...   

My favorites are.

- Pyxel Edit

- Aesprite

- Promotion

I mainly use Pyxel Edit since I use photoshop for everything else, trying to transition to serif's affinity programs tho.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do not create much of the graphics I use by myself since I can´t really draw. But when I do need to make something simple I use the built-in sprite tool in gamemaker and then just export the file.

Last edited by a moderator:

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Same with @Canini, but when I need to for an RPG Maker game, Game Charger Hub is pretty useful.

OmegaGhost

The Chilling Ghost
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
Good old MS Paint does the trick most of the time.

Whenever I need to do anything it doesn't allow, I just use GIMP.

Reese

Wretched Art Prince
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I always use photoshop :D  but every once in a while, I go with game character hub.

aqua

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Photoshop for me too! Got my start in MS Paint, though.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Back around 2003-2005, when I was in high school and was messing around with RM2k / RM2k3, there was a piece of software that I have since been unable to find. I think it was called Chara, or something like that. It was basically a pixel art oriented MS Paint. Its great strength, something that I have not found in any other software (though to be honest I haven't tried tons of pixel art specialized apps), was how easy it was to control your piece's palette. What was awesome is that if you replaced a colour in your palette with another, it'd replace all occurences of the color in your piece. So basically it was like doing paint by number and being able to switch the color associated with each number. It made recolors awesomely easy. Agreed, the palette mechanic itself and UI could have been more flexible and intuitive, the handling of transparency was a bit weird and there were some other issues, but the basic idea was great.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Back around 2003-2005, when I was in high school and was messing around with RM2k / RM2k3, there was a piece of software that I have since been unable to find. I think it was called Chara, or something like that. It was basically a pixel art oriented MS Paint. Its great strength, something that I have not found in any other software (though to be honest I haven't tried tons of pixel art specialized apps), was how easy it was to control your piece's palette. What was awesome is that if you replaced a colour in your palette with another, it'd replace all occurences of the color in your piece. So basically it was like doing paint by number and being able to switch the color associated with each number. It made recolors awesomely easy. Agreed, the palette mechanic itself and UI could have been more flexible and intuitive, the handling of transparency was a bit weird and there were some other issues, but the basic idea was great.

Charactermaker 1999 or idraw3 probably.

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't create a lot of pixel art, but when I do, I usually use Photoshop (because that's the program I use for most art stuff and I'm familiar with it) or Game Character Hub for character sprites because of its animation preview function.

BozeGame

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
Photoshop! Except there is the animation sprites or something like that ,I would take Piskel (Online tools),cuz I don't do sprites much.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Pyxel Edit.  Love it.  I use it to make stuff then use Photoshop or GIMP to do all the arranging.  I've also found a new tool that I haven't really done anything with yet, but might be worth checking out.  https://prominentdetail.github.io/Pixel.Tools/  The neat thing about this one is that it makes it easy to do index painting.  I've been thinking about getting into making larger things like battle backs so a good tool with the indexing built in will be very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super121830

Play-fighter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I prefer to use GraphicsGale since I only make pixel art, I'm not really good at using Photoshop.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Azihayya wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
Magus avatar homey!
Getting back into the thick of work on Untold Story and it feels great to be back. I'm gonna take what I learned from the Game Jam and try and get some serious work done for the rest of 2021.
The "docs" are honestly soo frustrating. Eg. positionType : "Returns the current position type of the message window." Yes, great. could you please also tell me if 0 was bottom or top, so i don't have to start a playtest to see, because i keep forgetting it all the time, and what are the docs even for, if not that? (it's top btw...)

Here's the combat sprite of Azrael one of the main characters of our game,
with and without weapon.
Hope it's good.
https://discord.gg/Q2uS6Str
The one thing I've always struggled with is creating a story, it halts every single project I've ever worked on. We must be in the twilight zone because I've actually come up with a plot, from beginning to end (it kinda wrote itself). I may very well be on my way to creating my first proper little game, yay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Napster