What's your one favorite thing about RPG Maker Engine?

LVGames

Welcome to Sword Swinging Super Slashers®
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which RPG Maker engine is your favorite?
What one thing about the engine do you enjoy most?

My favorite is MV.
The one thing I like about the engine, is the event system.
It's not like the other game maker engines. It's very different but at the same time it's unique and that's what makes it really strong. With the event system you can do many things with it if you think outside the box.

At first I had a hard time adjusting to the event process but once you understand it, more is being done without you realizing it. I say to me this is one powerful tool. Thank you for the team and people that keep this engine going!

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Of the engines I've used, MV is my favorite because it's been the easiest one for me to work with. I can be thick when it comes to using software of any sort, and MV is very user friendly IMO.

I enjoy the engine because it allows me to express myself in a way that I've always dreamed of. Since I was young, I always had ideas about stories and the desire to make an RPG, because I fell in love with RPGs when I was 7 or 8 and played Final Fantasy for the first time. Even though I've yet to produce a finished game in all these years tinkering with the various engines, it's provided me with hours of hobby time and has been a way for me to flex my creativity.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite thing about the RPG maker engine is how easy it use. Its one of those things that is easy to pick up but its hard to master. However, if we are talking about specific features I would say the "find" tool is useful to find specific events, variables and switches and the labels help keep your events clean and concise.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The RPG Maker brings a lot of codebase and resources. There's a full RPG Engine, Combat System, Items and Skills and more.

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
VX Ace is my favourite out of all I've tried (2003, XP, VX, and MV included). I find it the most intuitive when it comes to handling media and scripts, and it has a great wealth of support both official DLC and fanmade resources. And I think that even by default it has by far the best visuals.

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KazukiT I didnt even know about Event Searcher wow this is great thanks for that tip.
@pasunna Yes the community is very strong.
@HumanNinjaToo Final fantasy was my favorite rpg as well. I spent hours playing it when I was little. It was full of mystery and adventure.
@TheoAllen I do enjoy the resources as well. They allow for more creative ideas. My favorite are the Time Fantasy packs.
@V_Aero That is true, the combat system is amazing!
@Shiro-chan I do notice VXAce has it all with the plugins and art when I search for rpg maker related material.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Which RPG Maker engine is your favorite?

XP for the tilesets and music, which I adore.
MV because it's screen is so much bigger and it can do everything Ace could and maybe more

What one thing about the engine do you enjoy most?
What I genuinely like the most about RPG maker engines full stop, is the fact it let me make games. Everything else is just a bonus. I just love that it will let me make games!

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These days my favorite thing about RPG Maker MV is its limitations.

Limits and coloring of the tools you use can ignite great creativity I think. Instagram and Vine both owe their success to that effect. It's very common in the music world, to want gear like specific tube amps or ribbon microphones, and work with the limitations of that. Or just like, put a kid in a room without toys and they will still come up with stuff.

Instagram was the introduction to photography for a lot of people, for some it became a passion. Similarily, RPG Maker XP was my introduciton to game making. I knew little outside the basic modding I did. I knew I was crap, at times it was frustrating but I came back to it and always was itching to try new things.

There was a couple of games I got... Somewhere... With, but I scrapped or got new ideas. Nothing really solidified until Ace, and then I felt ready to make something grand. During the long development of that game, and moving it to MV, I've learned so much the game has almost been reworked bottom up at least two times. Now I'm at a point where I barely use others plugins or even the database at all. I feel like I'm trying to do stuff the engine isn't intended for anymore, and I'm continuously leaving in-maker buttons and menus behind.

But I never (almost) get angry on the engine for being limiting. I get very boosted creatively when I have limits. I've grown fond of RPG Maker's limits in particular. I love the process of figuring out how I can do what I want to do. That has always been the fun of it, no matter which level I was at.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker 2003 is my favorite engine. I love the way the sprites and tilesets look and you can make it look like a classic SNES game. It's also the engine I used to complete my first game (back in the early 2000s).

I'm currently using RMMV, though. It's better supported in every way so it's the best engine for my needs to use at this time.

Former_Sky

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's super easy to find whatever I'm looking for, and I really appreciate that you can hover over commands and get a simple explanation of what it does. It's a small feature that goes a long way to make it comfortable to use rpg maker.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite would be XP.
The thing i like the most is how layers are handled for mapping, it feels very professional compared to other versions

ravenhood

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love it that all of Rpgmaker doesn't have a Redo function

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome I like MV for that reason too! These engines allow us to come up with some cool ideas.
@ozubon Yes you're right when there is a limitation you feel good about going pass that limit to come up with things you wouldn't have done before!
@rue669 I like that classic SNES look as well!
@Former_Sky You know what that something I didnt even reliase it until you said it. That hover feature has help me lots of times to understand more about something I didn't get.
@kovak interesting!
@ravenhood Haha so many times I hit the ctrl+Y to Redo only to realize no there is no Redo here.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
favorite engine is ace. my favorite thing about rpgmaker is how easy it is to use, and also the large community support of edits, resources, scripts, event help, etc.

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@jonthefox Yes that is a big plus I agree with that one! :kaojoy:

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For sake of reminiscing i would say i very much enjoyed RPG Maker 2k3 (+ honorable mention to XP), while i would never go back and can say MV is my favorite, 2k3 is where i learned everything.

Overall my favorite thing is the event system and the process of eventing itself, back on 2k3 we didnt have scripts yet so people would post instructions of how to event certain features which is how i learned alot. it could have been as simple as how to make a day and night system (man were those popular) to something as complex as how to implement an FFX style summon system through switches, variables and call events.

now of course, in contrast, BECAUSE of those days i LOVE plugins. for the most part they're plug and play but i often have to sit down and learn how to properly set up notes to get things exactly how i need them which for me is reminiscent of setting up those events to do what i need.

LVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Conflictx3 Interesting I didin't know that's how it was. No plugins, everyone help out with events. It sounds interesting, seems like everyone was happy to show what they have figured out with events. :kaojoy:

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LVGames oh yes it was a fun time for me, i was in middle school back then so i lived on the desktop computer. there were at least 10 sites much like this one filled with activity. in many ways 2k3 was the first RPG Maker to bring real possibilities to devs, sure RM1 and 2000 existed but both were very rare a limited, while 2k3 was largely pirated so people got it for free attracting all types to join the community and share and exchange knowledge (those with the pirates were of course looked down upon). only thing about back then was over 75% of the assets you could get online were RIPS from official video games that were formatted to be used in RPG maker. i used breath of fire 4 sprites for EVERYTHING back then :oswt: the only site that has survived all these years from then till now that i know of is RMN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubacard