What's your one favorite thing about RPG Maker Engine?

LVGames

Welcome to Sword Swinging Super Slashers®
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Conflictx3 It's amazing that you been into it since you been in middle school. What a great story! :kaojoy:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is definitely my favorite, for the following reasons:
  • Greater portability: I can make stuff for mobile, web, or standard executable if I want.
  • Fullscreen is windowed fullscreen, not oldschool adjust-your-resolution fullscreen. True fullscreen in 2020 is [naughty word]ing annoying and doesn't do well when I want to play other games at the same time (which I sometimes do!). It does not work the same with modern flatscreen TVs/monitors as it did back in the era of CRT fatbacks.
  • Easier for me to tinker with MV games by others. I was playing one not long ago that had a horrid text/background contrast (light text on light background--do not do this ever) and was able to make it playable by disabling a plugin and swapping out window skins.
What do I like about it? Mainly the fact that it comes with a nice selection of default/RTP assets, and also, pools together a good community of skilled artists. I suck at art, so it's good to have easy access to these things.

The large collection of code libraries/plugins is also nice. Having to make a full RPG engine, complete with event system, all by myself would've been a chore

LVGames

Welcome to Sword Swinging Super Slashers®
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aesica The portability is a plus for me too. I like that I can make a game for mobile and my favorite Html.
For the fullscreen I use a plugin I didnt know there was one built in.
I do enjoy all the different art packs as well. My favorite ones are the Time Fantasy packs!

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not a programmer, and this engine lets me make a game without programming knowledge. Of course, the engine on it's own is lacking without plugins, but this community is pretty awesome and fills in that gap very nicely.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My favorite is Ace because Im more used to it, especially when it comes to the scripting... Right now, I use my own custom battle system in it and I dont have the motivation to devote time to rewrite it in JS to use in MV..

As for my favorite thing in RM... Hmmmmmm... If its only one thing, then its scripting.. I just really like doing it.

If I can add some more, then the event system and having many default graphics and sounds (and good paid ones that doesnt cost that much) XD Im not really doing this for money so I'd probably just continue making free games so spending huge amounts on artistic resources (coz I cant make good ones myself) is a bit of a money drain.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
It helps a lot 2D visual artists since it is simple enough to use and I can get stalled so often.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most other engines do not come with preset graphics or even sounds/music/etc. This is a huge bonus and one of my favorite things about the RPG Maker Series.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I love that all of the basic controls are already handled for you by default - things like player movement, camera movement, menu navigation, and transition to battle - even though the engine is flexible enough to change whatever you don't like. Having used a lot of other engines where you basically have to code all of those basic functions and controls from scratch, it feels like a godsend to have RPG Maker just "work" on day one.

Ace is my personal favorite, though I am also fond of XP and MV.

JL_T4N

Down the Rabbit Hole
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like MV for its ability to export to multiple platforms. It's also what's gotten me to start to learn JavaScript and Android Studio.

Purest Prodigy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV. I like them all, MV and VXA are the most versatile for what I need.
RPGM I like in general because it's more fun to use if you are specifically making a console stylre RPG. Your game is already made for you, you basically are just editing it to your liking and can make swaths of progress on your own in a very short time.

Jenova

Because you are...a puppet!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's user friendly. It's simple to learn and easy to master and once you get hooked, you don't want to stop. All these ideas fly through your head and you always wonder "What would happen if I did this?" And that's ok! Do it! Find out! The best part is that's it's YOUR game, no predefined rules are set. Do whatever the hell you want. Want to make the beginning character a god and the enemies throughput the game weak? Sure! Nobody can tell you no.

kyklops

Mista's 4th Bullet
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Its a great way to get into creating games for me as you aren't required to have a great amount of knowledge about scripting and modelling as you can make great games with just the standard tilesets and learning to make proper events isn't all too hard to do.

Dr. Delibird

Also known as HRforges
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hands down the aspect of not needing to know how to code. I have tried several times to learn and it just doesn't sink in super well with me. I know enough to understand what lines of code are doing but just barely and I can't remember the syntax well enough to write anything myself haha

dazed

dazed and confused
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hands down the aspect of not needing to know how to code. I have tried several times to learn and it just doesn't sink in super well with me. I know enough to understand what lines of code are doing but just barely and I can't remember the syntax well enough to write anything myself haha
I totally second this! It's probably cliché at this point, but I just love how easy RPG Maker is to use. Coding totally confuses me and I love the way that RPG Maker is laid out so that you can pretty much always see what you're doing.

Ed19

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
RPG Maker MV has RTP Resources, which is good but overused, but my favorite features are
- extra tileset,
- default side-view battle,
- the ability to copy and paste events into texts (this is a great help for me to proofread my game!)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ease of use and its focus on old school, 2D turn-based RPG's.

KawaiiKid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That I actually have a visual gui and don't have to look at nothing but code for hours.

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Easy to use but still powerful, awesome community, I don't feel as clueless as I do when I stare at unity engine trying to follow tutorials without understanding anything lmao

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have several aspects of each engine I enjoy. To the point I wish they'd stop removing features and start taking the best features from each version of the engine.

RPG Maker 2000
*Can set each piece of terrain to a different battle backdrop from within the Database.
*Can set each individual piece of terrain to be passable by boat, ship, or airship.
*Can flash events with a simple command.
*Can set up encounters far easier with far more versatility (limiting each troop to a specific biome and drawing boxes around areas means that troop will only show up in the specific biome within the specific box).

RPG Maker 2003
*Basically, everything I love about RPG Maker 2000, except now I can do side-battle, which is pretty nice. Many of the features are also more robust in RPG Maker 2003. It also allows far more customization, including a UI and Menu customization from right in the Database.
*This is the last version where you can set troops to show up in specific biomes. It pairs well with the "draw boxes" aspect of creating encounters. This is the first step to removal of versatility of creating encounters (as well as ease of use).

RPG Maker XP
I honestly haven't fiddled with this one much, but it's where some features have gone missing. What I enjoy about it is the tilesets and the artwork for animations. The monsters and character artwork are... pretty bad though.

RPG Maker VX
*Layer level for mapping is determined by map tab rather than having to select a layer. Only need to switch between mapping and eventing.
*Mapping itself is also a lot more robust than previously with several dozen "auto-tile" sheets per layer.
*Can determine passability without opening the Database.
*Is the last RPG maker to let you assign equipment individually to characters rather than having to assign a "type" and then make characters have the ability to equip that "type". Sure, it's less tedious, but it's also not as versatile anymore. I enjoyed this feature and it's missing from this point on.
*Is the last RPG Maker to let you draw boxes for encounters. The versatility of creating encounters dies here and becomes far more tedious from here on out.

RPG Maker VX Ace
*The artwork is very nice.
*Most robust version of creating a Title Screen, with two layers. It could be a lot better, but I do love this feature. It's less robust than Microsoft Word on Windows 3.11... But, it serves its purpose.

RPG Maker MV
*Can create your own equipment slots. No longer a limit on how many there are. You can do gloves, belt, shoes, pants, shirt, bracelets, helmet, eyewear, etcetera. As many as you want. This is insanely nice and I didn't know I wanted it until I had it.
*Plugins are much more user friendly than scripts, so it's the first RPG Maker where I actually put plugins into my game rather than just get clever about eventing what I wanted.
*Animation system is probably the most robust it's ever been while also being the most confusing it's ever been.
*Ability to paint "damage areas" on a map if you're clever about how to do so, rather than this feature being linked to the tileset.
*Not sure if it's the first RPG Maker to allow it, but I also love that I can customize my damage formulas into whatever I want. Default formulas from previous versions are... terrible for balancing.
*Drop list for 3 items. I think it's the first to allow for 3 item drops. You no longer set a percentage either, but a ratio (1/1 or 1/256).

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Tai_MT I think I should save that answer so I may enjoy better trying them all do do a game per makers ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Even though I spent 100's of dollars on my game already. I think I might just have to give it away for free. Since I haven't heard back from people if I could use some of their graphics. Even from a global mod here. Maybe I can make a donation thing.
you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DadOfSpaceMonkey