IamJustice743

Unironically Edgy Since 1996
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I want to make a skill for my game that works similar to the Fortune Arcana boss's ability in Persona 3: when the skill is activated, it randomly picks either the enemy's entire team or the player's entire team and it inflicts a random effect to each player on that side of the field. This ability would do things such as providing a single stat buff/debuff to the entire team, inflicting a status effect to an entire team, or damaging/healing the entire team.

How would I go about making this? I'm assuming I'd have to build this as a script considering how complicated it is, but I have a very minimal amount of experience with scripting so I'm currently at a loss. Anybody have an idea?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not moving this to Script Requests just yet, because I think it could probably be done with the skill calling a common event.

That common event would use variables, conditionals etc. to achieve this.

As this is a flying visit to the forum, I don't have time to work out the details, but that is how I would first approach devising this.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Create a common event that will use an RNG mechanic, for an assigned variable. Then assign various forced actions based upon variable amounts.

Should look something like this:

◆Control Variables:#0011 Test = Random 1..100
◆If:Test = 1
◆Force Action:#1, Dagger Cripple Arm, Random

:End
◆If:Test = 2
◆Force Action:#1, Dagger Cripple Leg, Random

◆If:Test = 3
◆Force Action:#1, Dagger Cripple Wing, Random

The assign the common event to the skill.

IamJustice743

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Create a common event that will use an RNG mechanic, for an assigned variable. Then assign various forced actions based upon variable amounts.

So from what I'm understanding this will help with the random status generation, but how will I be able to use this to have either side's entire party selected in order to inflict the damage? From what I see I can only choose either one side or the other when creating the skill, not have both as an option. Is there something that I'm missing?

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hence the "random" selection, no different than the basic "confusion" state effect in the default states of the database.

IamJustice743

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ahhh, right right. That makes sense then. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong then, because when I attempted to build the skill like you described and I tested it out it would only say "There was no effect" or something to that extent every time I used the skill.

XIIIthHarbinger

Part Time Super Villain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you having the a player character use this skill, or an enemy character? Does the Id, match that character? If the Id doesn't match that might be the issue.

Does the character in question know the skills being called up? I don't know for certain, as I've never used such a skill myself, but the character might have to know the skill in question called up before they can use the skill via the "wheel of fortune skill".

Also, do you have a conditional branch assigned to each value of the variable that the range fluctuates between? If not that might be your issue.

IamJustice743

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A player's to use this ability, and they don't know any of the skills. I did mess up on the character ID I think, and now that it's fixed the spell is now properly administering its effects like it should.

The only problem I see now is that it seems to only be effecting the enemy, not either team. My guess is this is because when using the attack's targets there is no option to select both in the menu, and I'm not aware of a way around this yet. But I suppose if there's no way to put both teams at risk for the attack I can work around it for now, but it would be preferable to have both.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Maybe an additional step would do it. This would depend on you using states to inflict the various buffs/debuffs/whatever.
Use yet another variable, set to random. If you want the chance of it being 50/50 enemy or party, then set the random range as 1 - 2.
Call the variable
Conditional branch
Variable = 1 change state enemy command
Else change party state command

IamJustice743

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I found another solution: If I make duplicate skills of the original state changes and switch the target from "all enemies" to "all allies", then there's still a 50/50 chance of either party being chosen to have the state placed upon them.

So I can use that as well to make the skill still work! Thanks for the assistance, guys!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Need a few testers for my new plugin, any takers?
Good night (or day) to everyone! :smile:
You thought kids rooms were messy. Look at this.
Back in the house and I'm hungry
Yoshi!
DNPwhy.gif

You're using that item wrong... TwT

Trying to get the mechanics down for a cute, story-driven board game! I think I've accomplished dice movement, item effects, and activating a space's event when you land on it. Art is WIP. Hope to open a thread about the game soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mca6