Wheels and the Leg Girl!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Bonkers, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Awards: 1st Place winner of the Sci-Fi Game Pitch Contest![​IMG]

Synopsis:

A sci-fi mouse driven adventure game that focuses on puzzle solving as a means of progression.  Puzzles are worth points and unlock special cut scenes as well as small perks.  The game will have a clear linear plot that the player can follow or forego to find side puzzles that contribute to the overall story.

Features:

• There are no battles or equipment, but the player gets an inventory to help them discern evidence when interrogating and arresting criminals.
    • The game will have a custom menu that hosts a variety of useful tools for investigation along with the "Puzzle Matrix" a device that once activated/given to the player through a story event allows you to go back and solve puzzles you may have missed along the way.  
    • One of the tools essential to the team is the "Galatica" a device used by law enforcement to produce instant knowledge of alien worlds and their laws to better enforce order.  Being from Earth Jayce and Stacy will notice the Galatica is strangely void of any knowledge of Humans or the Sol system.  It's up to the player to fill in the blanks while they explore the galaxy and it's people.  As the player progresses with the Galactica new cut scenes will open on Earth to play out with Jayce and Stacy's friends.
    • Custom musical pieces composed by Miss Little Fish in the spirit of the 80s including Wheels and the Leg Girl Saturday Morning Intro
    • Scythuz musical score(Restaff and Mem+) and custom themes
    • Musical Stings and Riffs in the spirit of Saturday Morning Bumpers for Commericals
    • Custom Art Work, Logo, Title Screen, Cover Art, and Character Concepts by Makio Kuta (Still in Production)
    • Custom Scripts made by Venka to enchance Shaz's mouse script along with a completely new adventure game menu scene
    • A custom script made by Evgenij to enables character's movement on the save screen (purely for the flavor of the genre)
    • LARGE Icons.  Enjoy the feeling that only 40x40 pixel icons bring as you no longer squint to see "Is it a sword?  It looks like a sword.  It's a knife?  No, it's a sword!  Knife-Sword."

Plot:

The game stars two high school children Stacy and Jayce.  Jayce is a smart wheelchair bound boy, and Stacy is the popular overly violent girl.  The two love to play detective until one day while hanging around a crime scene they become involved in an extraterrestrial plot to smuggle narcotics.  Coming into possession of several clues to a dealer a dragon like alien, the Sheriff of Sol "Gallus" deputizes them both.  

He takes them to Galaxy Police Headquarters where he wants them to interrogate a suspect and arrange them for trial.  This will put them on the trail of a large drug cartel, and one step closer to shutting down the head of the Stellar Syndicate; an organized criminal group bent on control of the Galaxy.

Jayce and Stacy will have their own story unraveling as they explore the hidden life of their parents, whose involvement with the GP led them to an untimely end.

Game-play:

The game depends on several phases per chapter: Investigation, Interrogation, Incarceration, and Indictment.  

Progress is measured by puzzle solving outside of court.

During the Investigative phase the player will be allowed to explore and interact with alien worlds and people as well as return to Earth.  Interrogation allows the player to question and torture suspects, but can have negative consequences on your career if you decided to harass innocent people.  

Incarceration lets the player visit the criminals in jail and discern information about dealings as well as clues.  Indictment will be the hardest phase requiring the player to give testimony based on the evidence collected.

The AI of the game will be triggered by events and conditions that the player performs in court, and when evidence is presented.  Presenting evidence too soon or neglecting it can lead to the criminal walking.

Characters:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Jayce aka Wheels

The brains of the duo.  Although Wheels is bound to his chair he never sits still when crime is on the loose.  Jayce is the only character in all of video game history to enjoy top billing with his disability.  He's often put into peril by his sister Stacy, and takes a beating; but nothing stops this wheeled warrior.  

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Stacy aka Leg Girl

The muscle of the duo, she is not only strong willed but strong armed.  Stacy is a blonde in every sense of the word.  She would be the greatest detective in history if not for the fact she thought her magnifying glass was a mirror which she believed to be broken.  She thought Cheerios were donut seeds until freshman year at high school.  She's an active cheerleader  and wants her brother Jayce to join the football team.   She couldn't join because the boys said she played too rough- also state law, or something about gender roles-it's BS.  

She has wanted to be a detective all her life to the point she has been arrested for interfering with police investigations by "helping".

NPCS:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gallus, Sheriff of Sol

He's been in law enforcement for years, yet he's one of the lowest ranking Galaxy Police Officers.  His skills with 

heavy artillery and breath to hand combat were honed during his time in Narcotics.  It's his role that brings him to Earth on pursuit of the Stellar Syndicate to meet the duo.

[​IMG]

General Slag'tite, overseer of the Galaxy Police

An immortal being from a planet of inorganic life he sits as commander of the forces which protects the galaxy's citizens from harm.

His frightening ability to encase criminals in a prison of crystal and lob sharp shards of matter at his opponents makes him a living weapon.

To this star date he has never been defeated.  He is the only creature of his planet to survive against the ancient war with Metalla, a powerful star mage.

[​IMG]

Supreme Judicar

A government appointed judge and lawmaker.  His presence strikes fear into even the most hardened of lawyers and law officials.

Stacy just calls him Judge Judy. 

[​IMG]

Queen Zharrramahthalalalthalas (Or just Zha, we're all friends here)

Hive mind of the Insectoids, she closely resembles an ant.  Insectoids can be pretty much any type of insect and vary from an incredible range of her choosing. They evolve to meet most labor challenges.  She is very fond of Jayce as he is the only male human she's ever seen.  Rare and exotic males are highly prized in her society as delicacies.  She often displays ditsy qualities and looses control of the hive when distracted.  Everything any member of her race sees, she sees even across the vastness of space. Lately though members of her hive have been exhibiting unusual behavior with free will.  She fears her people are being used in criminal activity.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Teddy D. Bonkers is Stacy's faithful secretary and an associate of Alien Resources at the GP.  A decorated bureaucrat bear.

Villains:

Stellar Syndicate

A vicious organization based in drug trade.  They are an organized criminal group that is bent on galactic control of all commerce.  Thier main drug trade involves narcotics, the most popular of which is only refereed to as "The Spice" and manufactured on a desert planet.  Also everyone whispers on that planet even though they don't need too.  Don't ask it's wierd.

Order of Ellipses 

Nothing is known about this mysterious group.  Their cultist like members dress in long robes and don't say anything.  They are bland and uninteresting, so most people ignore them entirely due to how ineffective they are in practice.

The Pack

The Wolves of Gnaral have shut out all outsiders and influence from other races creating what they call a pure race.  Wolves that have been exiled from Gnaral often turn to criminal activity and form their own hierarchy.  The Pack is ruled by one such wolf and is a mercenary force for hire.  He has his eyes set on Stacy and her detective prowess hoping to use her to claim victory over his nemesis, a powerful star mage.

Metalla and Synx

Metalla is one of the more powerful star mages in the known galaxy.  Her power over the solar winds and forces which control all life is unquestioned.  We are all made of star stuff.  Every last spec of dust in the universe came from stars.  To see her is to know death.  She is considered an "S" Class criminal.  She is aware of humans, and considers them a direct threat to her well being.  Due to her fear she has destroyed most star routes to Earth isolating it from most of the Galaxy's traffic.

[​IMG]Synx is Metalla's Son and a total bumbler.  He lacks the magical nature of his mother and is often in her shadow.  He's a musician, and often turns to his hobby to get through his mother's rage.

Other races:  Stacy likes all the boys, just put them in a pile for her and she'll sort through them later.

Screen Shots:

Spoiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Resources:

DS, DS+, and RMDS+

Show your support with the mini banner!  [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  2. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yay the topic thread is up~ It's nice seeing the screenshots! And Synx's little sprite is super adorable! I can't wait to get to drawing them.

Time to start getting hype people!! *smashes wine bottle on the post*

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    Kes, djDarkX, Susan and 2 others like this.
  3. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad to see it's up!  Can't wait to see what it'll be like when it's finished!  Rootin for ya~

Bonkers and Susan like this.
  4. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking good. Loving those busts. Curious to see what the villains will look like now. :D

Susan and Bonkers like this.
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This looks like it's going to be amazing.  And if that screenshot of Stacy is any indication of her usual approach to life, I think she and I will get along just fine.

Bonkers likes this.
  6. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Jayce and Stacy's fistpumping sprites at the top of the page sum up my feelings about this project :3

Congrats on finally getting the thread sorted, looking forward to playing a demo!

Bukarett and Bonkers like this.
  7. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This game just looks amazing. Like you took all of my guilty pleasures from entertainment media and rolled them into a scify game idea, definitely going to be watching this.

8. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yay! I cannot wait for this to come out! It's looking amazing!

Bonkers likes this.
  9. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

Haha American Dad title reference when Steve and Roger roleplay as detectives and their persona's were Wheels and the Leg man. Well done sir.

Jaide, ninjalex, lamont3z and 4 others like this.
  10. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Stacy's bio. "She thought Cheerios were doughnut seeds until Freshman Year of High School" I. Freaking. Died.

All aboard the hype train! I can't wait to see this through its development and come together. The screen shots and mock ups show a lot of color that I think the game so apparently has. Looking forward to this! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    Susan, Makio-Kuta and Bonkers like this.
  11. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I remember when you showed me the pitch on Skype. I was pretty impressed then. Even moreso now. Glad to see this taking off well.

And... DONUT SEEDS.  I MUST HAVE THEM ALL.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    Bonkers likes this.
  12. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    I lost it there too. (also the bit about calling the Judge 'Judge Judy') I love Stacy so much. 

Ms Littlefish, Susan and Bonkers like this.
  13. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    This project looks and sounds amazing, Palladinthug. Good luck! Can't wait to see more :3

Also 40x40 icons, instead of the 48x48 icons we did for Restaff? (Just asking whether the first is a typo or not :) )

14. Susan

Susan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here I was worried that I had completely missed this game.

The story and gameplay sounds really promising and fascinating.

Makio-Kuta's artworks look fantastic, and I'm excited to see more of them, as well as discover what music Ms Littlefish has made for this game.

Seriously can't wait for the demo to come out. ^^

15. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Question, though... How in the worlds do you pronounce Zharrramahthalalalthalas?

Bonkers likes this.
  16. Makio-Kuta

First Language:
    English
    I read it with all the H's except the ones that follow a T as silent. No idea if that's right though. (Zarra-ma-thala-lal-thalas) kinda fun to say really. haha *wonders how wrong she is*

Bonkers and Susan like this.
  17. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya all, it's been a hectic week and I apologize for not responding sooner.  I wanted to make sure people got a look at things and also to set up shop on RMN. Right now the game is pending on there and I hope to launch a much better marketing campaign than before where I just posted a finished game to have it overlooked.  It's sad, but non commercial requires so much more work than it use too.  Being a free to play game doesn't garnish the attention that it use to 10 years ago and I need to catch up on how people do things and spread the news via Twitter and other forms of social media as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the Court Room and Interrogation Room Overlays at an angle that will allow you to see most of their interior thanks to Mundy.  Tilework is beginning on both.  Having the 3d piece is better than working from a photo since Mundy can take the individual elements and scale them to any size if I have trouble pixel art something and at the exact angle I need to make it work on the map.  It almost makes me wanna do a high fantasy game with custom sprites/actual face sets that no one has ever done before with the present media.

For the pronunciation of Queen Zharrramahthalalalthalas, it's (Zha-ara-mat-tha-la-la-thalas) similar to how Serpentor screamed "Cobralalalalala" in G.I.Joe.  Though everyone will call her Zha.

I'm glad people like what they see so far, and I've already begun work on the villains.  I am waiting to conference with Makio (possibly tomorrow) to show the new designs and see what she will do to improve on them.  

I'll be working on the visual aids for the first trial along with the tokens which will represent the retelling of events as they happen. also the puzzles themselves will need place holder graphics for the time being, as I'll need chibis at some point as well to pretty them up.

I've got a ton of music and SEs to go through and that is where a majority of my time was spent during the day.  I also need to get to work on designing the elements for animations and bumpers.  I know what I need, but making the exact effects without knowing the terminology of the music or graphics slows me down a little.

The biggest draw back to using a mouse as the control is the unfortunate circumstance that I need to design the puzzles with a navigator, since I cannot make instant travel/instant click happen on the map when a character is transparent.  Shaz's simple script currently has no script call capacity to make certain events instantly traveled to by the player, which would help immensely.  I may need to suggest something along those lines and settle that obstacle instead of working around it.  Either that or wait for the adaptations to happen to ACE engine- I'm just not sure when they will hit. I'm flexible either way.

EDIT:  NM- Shaz and Vex both brought to mind I was overlooking the script does enable it to function with a comment in the event I can 

use to override movement.

Slag and Jud will get their sprites next along with Teddy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  18. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Seriously, I laughed so much reading this I almost peed.

Bonkers likes this.
  19. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Music is an increadibly difficult field to work with.  I thought I could just go in get what I needed and get out.  There are so many little 1 second to 4 second pieces needed to keep a graphic novel/adventure game functioning and engaging it's exhausting.

Zha has received her portrait and will be updated on the OP after I return from my birthday party.

[​IMG]

Bumps have been slated and drafted.  

[​IMG]

I'm currently working on overlays and transitions for them to get a Saturday morning feel for breaks in the demo/story to have it feel more natural

with stopping points.

These also require music, so I'm in a special kind of limbo right now for development.

A quick word about saves as the genre usually only allows 2-3 saves in major releases, but graphic novelettes allow upwards of 30 due to choices.  I'm looking at just 2-3 for this game, as the story is linear.

Kes, Susan, Bukarett and 4 others like this.
  20. Bonkers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Work continues as I bring the first case to a close.  Here are some of the graphics on my end of things:

[​IMG]

This one is obvious.  I'll be making a few variants and failure overlays as well.  

Some playful title screening

[​IMG]

complete with Sierra like twinkle and ME for an official adventure game

[​IMG](You may use the banner and title screen freely).

I'm looking into a a custom title screen overlay with the kids crossing out "Make RPGS" and writing "Make Adventure Games" with the RPG Maker Logo.  Still up in the air at this point as I need to learn to make chibis.

I'll be wrapping up with some custom markers for the victim/murderer while the kids do their explanations.  I've got 

Makio will be sending me Jayce's complete emotions along with Gallus's portraits shortly which will conclude most of what is needed for the demo.  Next up on the que is the title screen I concept-ed for layout purposes:

[​IMG]

which she will be finishing before anymore of the portraits.

I'm deep into the puzzles and everything is currently functioning well with the mouse's control, save for a slight issue with pass-ability on one map.  I think the best thing to do is duplicate the tile and make a non passable double to simulate a path.  I have at least 9 more puzzles to get graphic support done for in addition to the court/interrogation scenes.  At count I currently have 20 "Stings" or Meta Effect sounds just for dialogue and growing.

Sprites haven't been worked on due to resuming 54+ hour weeks.  (Still need to do taxes too as well as see a dentist).

The dialogue has been really fun with this, and I think you will enjoy the two new protagonists.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    Susan, Dalph, Kes and 1 other person like this.