Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*Insert something catchy about a school camp and hilarity/drama ensuing here*

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
  • This is a game about a few highschoolers embarking on a fantasy adventure, when they should be rock climbing or mountainbiking instead
  • We'll be making fun of classic JRPGs like Final Fantasy
  • I will make you care about teachers along with the students
  • The amount of drama versus comedy is yet to be determined
  • I don't know yet if this should be considered isekai
  • I'll be developing this game in English first, but I intend to make a Dutch version too. Yes, DUTCH!
  • How about a customization system that has its basis in Auto-chess, but we're doing it with school subjects!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
In progress, unless people want screenshots of the database.

SECTION B: CHARACTERS
The party
  • Johan Sadowski
  • Astrid Haakema
  • Fatima Al Hashem
  • Willem de Vries
The Bully
  • Louise Koopman
The Teachers
  • Dirk Vandenboom, Maths
  • Hans Reinders, PE
  • Johanna van Staphorst, French
  • Helena Akkerman, Philosophy
We still have another 16 classmates to give names for, but first focus on the party and the teachers.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT
  • At the start of the 5th year, a yet to be named High School in The Netherlands organises it's yearly school camp. (Werkweek, for us Dutchies that had it)
  • In class, the students are briefed by their mentor, the Maths Teacher, then the teacher calls the main characters forward.
  • Their bully has been expelled over the summer holiday. Last year, he/she got suspended for violent bullying, but it was turned into expulsion as it turned to death threats out of school.
  • But nothing to worry about, go to camp, have fun, then start the year proper.
  • Then they all got sucked into a fantasy world... As designed by the Bully.

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
  • While we start the game at an undisclosed High School in The Netherlands, the game doesn't take place there.
  • We are going to camp near a yet to be named castle in Germany.
  • And the fantasy world to be sucked in, will be the most cliché, generic, fantasy world a bully could think of.

SECTION E: FEATURES
  • CTB Combat. While I would want to do ATB, I like CTB better. And it's still a FF parody in a way.
  • Auto-chess based character progression! Your class mates serve as your progression, along with your teachers.
  • Your characters gain buffs if you match the correct class mates to them, according to their favorite subjects!
  • Teachers are nice progression markers, and they allow you to call them to battle. In the mean time, they enable you to add another class mate to your circle of friends.

DOWNLOAD LINK
First Demo

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
seems interesting, Screenshots are always welcome, specially gameplay one :)

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Your ideas sound rather interesting. I look forward to seeing how you cause people to care about teachers.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The premise is not something that'd normally catch my fancy, but you make it sound really interesting, so props for that! Out of curiosity, though, why make it a JRPG parody? Your idea sounds like it's got the promise to be much more. For instance, why would the bully design a clichéd fantasy world? Wouldn't they rather make something more suitable for their (presumable) revenge? Like a devious torture world of some kind? I do understand if you want to poke fun at JRPGs, although I personally think that's a wee bit overdone thing.

Points I really like:
-fellow students act as power-ups
-teachers can be summoned in battle ("Summon Behemath!" :biggrin:)
-Werkweek (this term just sounds super cute!)

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ty everyone for the replies so far!

@alice_gristle
I've yet to determine how much comedy it is compared to drama. At the moment I lean more towards comedy.
The Bully has some kind of desire to beat the party at what they love. One of them likes to play FF and the like. So the Bully wants to beat them at JRPGs.
However, the Bully doesn't really understand the ins-and-outs of the genre, so he naturally goes for the cliché stuff, or just rips some of them off.
This is still subject to change. But I like that you point it out.

Progress: I'm still working the kinks out of the student system. I'm having difficulties with clearly showing states, and most importantly updating them without having to exit the main menu.

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WOO Progress!

I have reworked my boatload of common events into a plugin, and it works like a charm, but now another plugin is acting up.

In the mean time, I've decided to lean a bit more towards the drama side. But I still haven't really put in anything useful in terms of stuff that is playable. I want to first get all of the systems done, then I will move on to the fun stuff such as eventing and mapping.

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WOO UPDATES!

I've been working on the story in the mean time.
We start nicely in the classroom, with a teacher doing the introduction. And we have names for several characters.

The party consists of Johan, Astrid, Fatima and Willem. This group of friends has been together since the first year! And they're multicultural too.
Johan Sadowski, son of a Polish migrant worker.
Astrid Haakema, who has a Swedish mother.
Fatima Al Hashem came here as a kid when her parents moved from Morocco.
Willem de Vries, our only fullblooded Dutchman, err... Frisian?.
These four got together through several twists of faith, but that meant that a certain bully could get to all of them.

The bully is named Louise Koopman. Well... let's just keep it at her being a psychopath.

Our teachers are:
Dirk Vandenboom. Young, fresh from the University, with First Degree teaching certificates.
Hans Reinders. The old man, but a beloved man by many. Almost everyone who ever had him as a teacher can tell fond stories.
Johanna van Staphorst. French teacher, strict but reasonable. But the students almost forget that last part.
Helena Akkerman. The relatively new but popular Philosophy teacher. Somehow, this woman singlehandedly turned one of the most boring subjects, into the most popular.

And I have a demo for the opening scene.
Please note that everything in here is still very WIP. That includes the graphics.
I will add the demo to the OP soon.

A few notes:
This is based on the school system I experienced on my middle/highschool. In the Netherlands, we do not split between middle and high, we just indicate years. We have several levels as well. You get into those according to your CITO score and the teachers recommendation when in lower school.

We have (normally) 8 years of lower school, followed by 4 to 6 years of middle/highschool.
The lowest levels, collectively called the VMBO, are 4 years. Then you have HAVO, 5 years. And VWO, which is 6 years.
VMBO prepares you for entry into trades. You could call them pre-trade school.
HAVO is the generic "I want to get into higher education, but not into university"-level. I don't really have an anglosphere equivalent for this.
The class in this game is on the VWO level. That one prepares you for university. They're SMART. VWO is also split in two levels, but that is mostly fancy names for whether you have Latin and Greek in your package or not. Higher classes have their students mixed, with everyone having a personal time table, and clusters for subjects you don't have a full class for.

And on a specific subject: what I call Philosophy in this game, is actually a mix of philosophy, a bit of sociology, ethics, religions for studying (not to practice) and some stuff on cultures. We call it "Levensbeschouwing".

We also have a split in "university", which is not really relevant to this game. Let's just say the kids are supposed to go to the higher one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be going live early today as I will be working on some music before I transition to art! When I switch to art, I will be focusing on making a new stream avatar~ Feel free to drop by!
For anyone who has uploaded a game to Steam and wonders if they actually check your game's build when you first upload it, I can personally vouch for Steam.
6 more towns to make in my game. SIX. not done with interiors yet but SIX EXTERIORS.
what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...
So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zojin