When did one of your game blown up/got noticed?

8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's as the title says, when did it started to get noticed?
But lemme elaborate, "when" as in how many games did it took you for one to start becoming relatively successful?
Was it something different you did then past projects that made it to get noticed?
Was it because of the distributing platform?
Was it just miraculous?
Was it that people saw you did a couple of few projects, showing your experience?

Also if you can, putting the link to the game that started getting notice so I can see what you did with your game description to convince people to play it and share it with friends.

As you can tell from these questions, I'm more or less an amateur >.>

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How many copies sold do you consider successful?
With my first and so far only game, I made enough money to recoup the expense of making it plus help fund my second title.
To me that is a success.

Binder28

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
With my first and so far only game, I made enough money to recoup the expense of making it plus help fund my second title.
To me that is a success.
Holy crap the great gaias is awesome...played it for more than a hundred hours *---* that game is really good trust me...

8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To me that is a success.
Congrats on your first game then :)

I guess success for an experienced RPG Maker developer would be getting over the average sales, which is roughly 1000 I believe.

However, it depends on the situation, as you said, you saying that your first game making profit, would be deemed as a success.

I guess in general when I say success I mean when one of your game achieves significantly more then the other, to the point that fair judgement would assume an improvement, then last time.

Also if you don't mind telling, but exactly how did you market it out to get more than enough sales for break even?
Sorry for the annoying questions >.<

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I made a (free) RM game in 2001 that got 1 million downloads in a couple of months and became very popular.
It was my first game, but it was long, complete and very different from the rest. I think standing out is always useful, although these days, with so many games coming out, it's a significantly more difficult thing to achieve.

I guess success for an experienced RPG Maker developer would be getting over the average sales, which is roughly 1000 I believe.

That'd be 100% of my 40+ games ;)

8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

That'd be 100% of my 40+ games ;)
Oh wow O-O

When did you started building your followers, within your 12 years of experience?

8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just as I said above, in 2001, with my multi-million downloaded first game :)
So that'd be 19 years although "only" 12 as a full-time indie dev.
Well congrats on your success :D

Hope you'll prosper more in the future

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Well congrats on your success :D

Hope you'll prosper more in the future
Thank you very much.
It's not an easy thing these days. I wish courage and success to anyone who attempts to become indie dev.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It is tough. Right now I'm holding at probably near 200 sales (Indinera could tell you the exact #) but that is with the game only on one site (Aldorlea.org) and its not on Steam. And I've done very little marketing except to post monthly on some discords about it.

But even with that I've made almost enough to cover what I had to spend on my composer and artist for the game. Almost. But I figured being a first game and no one knows who I am in the game making scene even breaking even would be a success, and I figure I'll probably get there in another month or two.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
I consider my game success by my own expectations and standards for sure.
It's my first game. Although I did make few demos like 10-15+ years ago as a kid if those count.

The biggest factor hands down were youtubers and streamers. Some channels picked up my game because I guess it has got some let's play value in its shooks and frights. The effect a let's plays can have to the visibility is crazy. Forever thankful for all those channels!

I wouldn't say the game ever got blown up though. Hopefully my next game will continue growing the audience. I think it's a good spot for the future endeavours in any case.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
It is tough. Right now I'm holding at probably near 200 sales (Indinera could tell you the exact #) but that is with the game only on one site (Aldorlea.org) and its not on Steam.

We made close to $6000, I'd say it's pretty good considering your game was not officially endorsed by Aldorlea but released as a third party game.
Your game's actual success is more recognizable through the prism of income than sales. Many 1000+ sellers don't actually generate as much as $6k.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yep, that is true. And it did make #1 for 2019 too on your site, so that was good too. I imagine once the steam release is done that number will change.

BTW for those curious I spent $3000 on the art and music. But I made all of the $$$ for that by working OT and banking it so if I made $0 I would still be just fine. And honestly just getting that back is enough to say success for a first game in my mind in this market too. After all I've heard of devs who sold a whole 9 copies on Steam, ever.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Yep, that is true. And it did make #1 for 2019 too on your site, so that was good too.

Yep, it was the first time ever it was not one of mine. The joint factors of you releasing a very good "classic" RPG and me not releasing any lol

I imagine once the steam release is done that number will change.

Oh, they sure will ;)
Steam is pretty saturated these days though.

BTW for those curious I spent $3000 on the art and music. But I made all of the $$$ for that by working OT and banking it so if I made $0 I would still be just fine. And honestly just getting that back is enough to say success for a first game in my mind in this market too. After all I've heard of devs who sold a whole 9 copies on Steam, ever.

Your game is still in early in its life. Of course it probably did its time on Aldorlea, but then there are many more selling channels to explore. In due time, it will be done.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's kinda of hard to answer, because we define success differently it seems. I'm not impressed by people who sell/get lot of downloads. I also have a general fear of being famous. I'm impressed by a game's actual impact.

My games have saved people from suicide, make them feel more confident of themselves, and generally made the world a better place for those who played it. And typically my games are enjoyed by its players. These are what defines "blown up" to me.

I get donated a lot of money towards my game making, but have never sold a game before. (all free games) I just have "people who look forward to my creations". A friends-base, who tends to also shape my future games. I'm in the midst of making my first commercial game rn, though. u wub

8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the info guys :)

I'm thinking of proceeding forwards putting my game on this reddit called "PlayMyGame", have a better chance putting it on there then not doing it at all.

Also this place "Andorlea" seems cool, I'll look into that.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh please do! There are some RPGMaker games there you can see what the top 5 of last year are and so on. I know Kes has released some games on there too (Try A Tale of a Common Man if you haven't yet).

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also if you don't mind telling, but exactly how did you market it out to get more than enough sales for break even?
Mostly gaming conventions.
While it was still in development we went to small local conventions and once we were in early access (selling copies) we showed it off at PAX East which was massive.
Of course, conventions cost a good amount of money (especially PAX) to attend so if we weren't at least breaking even at a convention we stopped attending it the following year.

Sadly we were suppose to attend PAX West this year but COVID stopped that from happening.

8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep, that is true. And it did make #1 for 2019 too on your site, so that was good too. I imagine once the steam release is done that number will change.

If you don't mind me asking, but what did you done for marketing?
I understand that the game is great itself alongside the trailer and the description to hook players in, but how, and as for your first game, did you got players to know it existed in the first place?
That it obviously led to this positive multiplier effect
Thanks

Or does Andorlea works similarly like Steam, where they help promote new games for a month?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Aldorlea puts your game release in their newsletter which is emailed to all in their list, and you are the latest game for a while posted on the page. I also did get 3 people to stream my game on twitch and also got a couple first impression youtubers to stream their first hour or so of the game.

Outside of that all I've done myself is usually once a month I post about the game on discords under the discords that let you promote your game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.
Sand is basically small rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parzival