When did you start RMing and what software you use first time?

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Well, the very first RPG Maker in our household was that western-released one for the PSX, titled RPG Maker.
Mom bought it. She couldn't wrap her head around it, though, and gave it up. I recovered it from the garbage LMAO and have been using it ever since...

...My first proper RPG Maker project was on 2003 and it was a, uh. A remake of Parasite Eve. Probably in 2005 or something. Maybe earlier. My PE CD had broken so I figured I would redo the story as I remembered so I could play it by myself, it was fun and cheesy -; never got too far though, but it's a nice memory to have. Whew.

Love to see all the oldies around here! :D

2k3 rocks!!

8bitBartabas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm kind of new. I think I started in 2017, with MV.

Now I have a little experience with all of them, and can say each has a little. Something unique, though I think mv is still the rpg maker I like most.

CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Newbie here using only VXAce starting back in early 2016, and played around with MV for abit around the same time as well before deciding to stick to VXA due to limitations at the time.

P.S. Woah so many 10+ years veterans... *hides*

doriantoki

Enjoying the Ritual
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can't remember how I stumbled upon it, but my first was RM2k. At that time, there was a lot of discussion around Don Miguel's test game, and there was quite a huge amount of disregard for intellectual property or copyright in general in the community. I feel things are a little more ... professional now, if you will? Granted, this was way before Steam was even an idea of a whisper of a thought of a thing. The idea that something like RM2k could be used for anything other than an enthusiast hobby - well, I never!

I wasn't serious about game development at that time. It was just a curiosity for me. I can't even remember the amount of started and unfinished projects. The first serious maker that I invested a significant amount of time and development was VX, then VX Ace. I was dabbling in XP before that, but nothing serious. I'm now using MV probably as much as I used VX and VX Ace.

@CraneSoft yeah it seems that once the RPGMaker bug bites you, you're infected for life :kaoswt:

Last edited:

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first experience was with RMXP but it’s hard to remember exactly when that was. Probably about 10~12 years ago.

I didn’t understand the the software and just made a bunch of maps though. Then got back into VxAce again around 2014.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Like several others, Don Miguel was the catalyst for me. I did dabble in the PSX versions here and there..
The year was 2000.. wow.. such a long time ago.. :)

Yeah, I remember those days. Nobody cared at all about using ripped and copyrighted materials. Well.. people cared, of course. It was just so prevalent back then.

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I first started RMing back in June of 2009 with RPG Maker VX. 10 years later I'm using RPG Maker MV. I never actually finished making Escavar Fathome which was the game I dedicated a lot of time to. As of now, I'm currently working on a game called the Ascent and I already have a working demo.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPGMaker 2000, in year 2003. I tried every Maker except VX since the Ace was already published. Right now I use MV.

Vassim74

It's a Secret!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want to get technical about it, my very first RPG Maker was an incomplete fan translated version of RPG Maker 2 for the SNES back in 99. Then in 2002, I discovered RPG Maker 2000 and from then on, experimented with each version on their release date.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, the very first RPG Maker in our household was that western-released one for the PSX, titled RPG Maker.
Mom bought it. She couldn't wrap her head around it, though, and gave it up. I recovered it from the garbage LMAO and have been using it ever since...
Do you happen to remember the sample game that came with it? I believe it was called Gobli's Adventure. For some reason that sample game holds a place in my heart, so much so that I've thought about emulating RPGPSX just to play through it again.

Anyway, the PSX RPG Maker was also my first. Got it when I was 11-ish and probably spent thousands of hours on it. Many, many years later I came across XP and VX, but I mostly just messed around with them. It wasn't until MV that I got serious about making a full game.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A long time ago... I don't remember exactly when. But it was with VX before Ace came out. I switched to XP afterward, and then to Ace when it came out.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do you happen to remember the sample game that came with it? I believe it was called Gobli's Adventure. For some reason that sample game holds a place in my heart, so much so that I've thought about emulating RPGPSX just to play through it again.
Oh yes, Gobli who wanted to be a Boss!! It was a cute little/short game. I remember Mark.. the hole in the wall.. being a character. I got a good chortle out of that. HAHA!! :)

-MIA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A wave of cold air has hit Canada... I know it's "always cold", but this one is especially cold... I'm freezing to death lol.
Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.
Stream will be going live shortly with some more Witcher 3, then we will switch to another game! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoetSmith