Earthtian

how can you prove you exist...? Maybe we don't exi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
When was the first time you laid your hands on the keyboard, put your hand on the mouse and used a computer?

just figured I would ask that question!

The first time I used one was at the age of 5 and Windows XP was not even a year old :guffaw:  .  I played pokemon sapphire with an emulator and I played beyond good and evil :p

When was the first time you used a computer?

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Um...  Around when Windows 3.11 first came out.  It was  Hewlett Packard and really all I used to do on it was play the very few games I owned or that came with it.  The most fun game that came with it was Jurassic Park.  Sadly, I don't think you can find Jurassic Park for Windows 3.11 anymore.  Really, it's too bad you can't either... It was the best version of that game ever made.  Quite awesome and fun.  It required skill, rewarded smart thinking, and didn't bog much of the game down with a ton of text. 

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Um...  Around when Windows 3.11 first came out.  It was  Hewlett Packard and really all I used to do on it was play the very few games I owned or that came with it.  The most fun game that came with it was Jurassic Park.  Sadly, I don't think you can find Jurassic Park for Windows 3.11 anymore.  Really, it's too bad you can't either... It was the best version of that game ever made.  Quite awesome and fun.  It required skill, rewarded smart thinking, and didn't bog much of the game down with a ton of text. 
Never actually seen gameplay of any Jurassic Park game so I will go and look! What were the graphics like in those times? xD

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eh... go to Youtube and type in "DOS Jurassic Park".  Should be a video or two to show you what it looked like.  Honestly, not bad for a Windows 3.11 machine.  Almost on par with a Sega Genesis or SNES... maybe even slightly better.

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Eh... go to Youtube and type in "DOS Jurassic Park".  Should be a video or two to show you what it looked like.  Honestly, not bad for a Windows 3.11 machine.  Almost on par with a Sega Genesis or SNES... maybe even slightly better.
Wow! reminds me of SANIC on the sega genesis :p not bad for such an old machine.!

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Windows 95

First thing I did was del*.*

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nope, not too bad at all.  I actually spent a lot of time with that game.  The best part of it was that the game didn't really tell you where to go or what to do.  You kind of had to figure things out on your own.  You got passwords every time you beat levels, so you wouldn't necessarily be sent too far back...  The problem was though...  When you first started playing it... you died a LOT.  The first level consisted I think of the T-Rex Paddock as well as the Triceratops Pen next door.  After that, you were in some Stegasaurus enclosure where they ate plants and slapped their tails against the cliff-sides.... which would drop random rocks all across your screen.

Each area had its own set of objectives and tricks, which made it kind of fun.  You had to rescue the kids in the first area (finding Tim was easy once you knew your way around and could be done in the first minute of gameplay) and then getting to Lex was a bit trickier as the Sewers were full of what looked like T-Rex in the water which would kill you instantly if it touched you...  You had to push a box to her location in the upper left of the map...  But getting the box there and back was a nightmare if you didn't know the proper path...  Once you got the kids, you unlocked the gate and left...  Then, you hopped into the Triceratops pen and you had to pick up a crapload of flowers in order to get passed the Triceratops that was going to run you down at one section.  If you had enough flowers, you'd throw them on the ground automatically and it would stop to eat them all...  Well, more accurately...  The more flowers you had, the longer it stopped.  You had to have nearly all of them to get through the area, 'cause he was a fast eater and a fast mover.

The stegosaurs...  I never figured out that area, I'd always die partway through it.

Still, most of the fun of the game was exploring and trying to figure out what to do and where to go, because the game didn't tell you anything.

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Windows 95

First thing I did was del*.*
lol hey that must have been fun XD I actually used a 95 machine after I used XP I remember I had no games for it though :p

Nope, not too bad at all.  I actually spent a lot of time with that game.  The best part of it was that the game didn't really tell you where to go or what to do.  You kind of had to figure things out on your own.  You got passwords every time you beat levels, so you wouldn't necessarily be sent too far back...  The problem was though...  When you first started playing it... you died a LOT.  The first level consisted I think of the T-Rex Paddock as well as the Triceratops Pen next door.  After that, you were in some Stegasaurus enclosure where they ate plants and slapped their tails against the cliff-sides.... which would drop random rocks all across your screen.

Each area had its own set of objectives and tricks, which made it kind of fun.  You had to rescue the kids in the first area (finding Tim was easy once you knew your way around and could be done in the first minute of gameplay) and then getting to Lex was a bit trickier as the Sewers were full of what looked like T-Rex in the water which would kill you instantly if it touched you...  You had to push a box to her location in the upper left of the map...  But getting the box there and back was a nightmare if you didn't know the proper path...  Once you got the kids, you unlocked the gate and left...  Then, you hopped into the Triceratops pen and you had to pick up a crapload of flowers in order to get passed the Triceratops that was going to run you down at one section.  If you had enough flowers, you'd throw them on the ground automatically and it would stop to eat them all...  Well, more accurately...  The more flowers you had, the longer it stopped.  You had to have nearly all of them to get through the area, 'cause he was a fast eater and a fast mover.

The stegosaurs...  I never figured out that area, I'd always die partway through it.

Still, most of the fun of the game was exploring and trying to figure out what to do and where to go, because the game didn't tell you anything.
Yeah I love exploring in games, I always thought skyrim was more like that then actually trying to do the objective :p I don't like though when you die and just can't get through somewhere (especially a game your hooked on :/) but eventually I had beat a really hard level of BG&E...hours upon hours of trying XD

Warpmind

Twisted Genius
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
First computer... That must've been in school, circa 1987 or 88, I think - a TIKI-100 computer.

Ye Gods, that feels like a long time ago now.

That was back, y'know, when the Soviet Union was still around, Ronald Reagan was president, and mobile phones weighed 50 pounds, battery included...

Ah, memories... :3

Oh, yeah, the TIKI-100 didn't have a mouse, though, if I recall correctly...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, and I thought I was old!  You must be a Grizzled Ancient!

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First computer... That must've been in school, circa 1987 or 88, I think - a TIKI-100 computer.

Ye Gods, that feels like a long time ago now.

That was back, y'know, when the Soviet Union was still around, Ronald Reagan was president, and mobile phones weighed 50 pounds, battery included...

Ah, memories... :3

Oh, yeah, the TIKI-100 didn't have a mouse, though, if I recall correctly...
Lol wow I heard about those mobile phones XD always wanted to hold on in real life (then my arm would break) and possibly no mouse? GEEZ :p

LOL its crazy how fast technology has come.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Would have probably been around 94. Used old (I think for the time) computers at school. Don't remember specifics, but mainly was for educational games, remember one with a cat trying to teaching typing, also one I enjoyed where you controlled a fish and you just had to stay alive (eating, avoiding, or running away from other aquatic animals), and Oregon Trail...which is fun to this day.

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Would have probably been around 94. Used old (I think for the time) computers at school. Don't remember specifics, but mainly was for educational games, remember one with a cat trying to teaching typing, also one I enjoyed where you controlled a fish and you just had to stay alive (eating, avoiding, or running away from other aquatic animals), and Oregon Trail...which is fun to this day.
Ah I remember oregon trail! never really finished it but it was a cool game!

BigEd781

undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilC
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dothraki
Primarily Uses
N/A
1988, Commodore 128. It had an 8502 iirc which I later wrote an emulator for (much later).

>_>

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can't remember a time when there wasn't a computer in my house. The first one was a Commodore Pet and there were no such thing as mice back then. Although I wasn't actually allowed to touch the computers until I was much older because babies and computers shouldn't be allowed to mix. The first one I was allowed to touch was an Atari 800. Still no mouse, but there was a joystick and my dad programmed some games for me. When I was around eight I even tried to learn how to program on it myself in order to draw pretty pictures on the screen but I never did get the hang of it. I was going to stubborn it out until I realized that my brother who was five years younger than me was much better at it. Yes, my little brother is that smart. So basically, I've been trying to do pixel art since I first was allowed on a computer. :)

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
1988, Commodore 128. It had an 8502 iirc which I later wrote an emulator for (much later).

>_>
Wow wish I knew how to code an emulator! must have been fun to do that.

I can't remember a time when there wasn't a computer in my house. The first one was a Commodore Pet and there were no such thing as mice back then. Although I wasn't actually allowed to touch the computers until I was much older because babies and computers shouldn't be allowed to mix. The first one I was allowed to touch was an Atari 800. Still no mouse, but there was a joystick and my dad programmed some games for me. When I was around eight I even tried to learn how to program on it myself in order to draw pretty pictures on the screen but I never did get the hang of it. I was going to stubborn it out until I realized that my brother who was five years younger than me was much better at it. Yes, my little brother is that smart. So basically, I've been trying to do pixel art since I first was allowed on a computer. :)
Lol Even when sharm was 8 she was making pixel art XD but hey all that experience has probably helped you make that amazing Pixel Myth pack!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's funny, when I was a teen there was this big push to make everything 3D, everyone thought 2D and pixel art was completely dead. Who would have thought it would still be relevant so many years later? I sure didn't. I wasted a lot of time and money pursuing careers I didn't like anywhere near as much.

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's funny, when I was a teen there was this big push to make everything 3D, everyone thought 2D and pixel art was completely dead. Who would have thought it would still be relevant so many years later? I sure didn't. I wasted a lot of time and money pursuing careers I didn't like anywhere near as much.
2D pixel art can never be dead what were those people thinking?! I mean thats like trying to say games like pokemon, legend of zelda never existed.  I personally love 2D art and always will. (THANKS NOSTALGIA XD)

sai

devourer of eggs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The very first time I used any sort of computer was the when my dad would brought me to his workplace and let me play some sort of pipe puzzle game. I'm assuming I was around 4 or 5 then. My family didn't get a home computer until I was 8. From there I messed around with a paint program on an old Mac computer, and I suppose that sort of thing extends to today.

Earthtian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The very first time I used any sort of computer was the when my dad would brought me to his workplace and let me play some sort of pipe puzzle game. I'm assuming I was around 4 or 5 then. My family didn't get a home computer until I was 8. From there I messed around with a paint program on an old Mac computer, and I suppose that sort of thing extends to today.
Ah good ol paint XD paint has a whole new wave these days now with touch screen tablets, its so fun on the windows tablet XD I want to try photoshop on a touchscreen. That would be exciting.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another unscheduled stream for Lightestone~ this time because we hit affiliate! Aaaahh- So other than the game we're also going to work on emotes/badges/etc!

www.twitch.tv/riazey
Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:
So I'm resuming work on the Shadowstar Trilogy. I've decided that it will take place between the end of G4 and the start of G5, and two of the Lost Rulers will be Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer (who is the moon princess in my AU).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lark_Larkington