When do you predict the next new RPG Maker will arrive?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There have been many installments of RPG Maker (2000, XP, VX, VX ACE, MV). As the title asks, when do think the next one will come out?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@sura_tc
Do they typically come out on a regular cycle or are you just guessing? I haven't been around long enough to know if there's a predictable time frame.

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other
About 3 ~ 4 years seems to be regular circle. But I don't see much that can be improved on current MV unless they change its structure dramatically, so I doubled the span.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What were some of the big advancements that required them to release more often before?

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other
I can only say from Ace to MV since those two are the only ones I have experience with.

Larger tileset and bigger screen resolution are perhaps two easy features but needed direly. Playing any ace games on 1080p and higher is actually painful.

Common event was a nice addition as well.

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pixel Game Maker MV, this year. Though it's not really RPG Maker, it's still something to look out for.

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think a lot of people would be pissed if they released another RPG Maker now lol.

But to answer the question: maybe 2021?

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think around 2020 they'll do a MVPlus or something. Maybe an upgraded MV that includes some new features, but likely will include a lot of the add on products we use now (MADO, GENE, etc). Anyway, I expect an packaged version before a whole new thing.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since there is currently still development going on with MV (the 1.6.1 beta) I strongly doubt that the old cycle will hold.
Previously a new maker came out every four years or so, but each of those makers was also abandoned (in terms of bugfixes) no more than a year after release, and none ever got updates to functions instead of only bugfixes.

As long as all those updates are continuing development, I rather doubt that a new maker is even started to be programmed.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, not saying it should come out now. But sooner or later, their potential market will all have the software and they'll need something shinier to entice us all to buy in again. I do think MV will stick around longer because I get the impression that it has become much more popular than most of their other versions so as long as the sales keep rolling in, they have no reason to get a new one out.

SweetMeltyLove

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
28th of April 2021 you heard it here first folks

sura_tc

Loner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
Other
MV or RPG Maker in general has the appeal of ease-of-use. As long as they have that, it will continue to sell.

I could have used Unity and 3D meshes for my games but, as a one-man developer, that really stretches time required to do everything on my own. RPG Maker is making it possible for me to develop games the way I wanted alone instead of having to assemble a team.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They also have the benefit of having the plugins that they can add every so often with MV that gives added flexibility to the product and extends the life-cycle.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I´d say, in about two years. And as for it being substantially better, about 2 years after that. So in short, about 3-5 years until it´s worth upgrading.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Following previous release trends, we could expect to hear about the next RPG Maker around 2020...

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't see why we would need a new maker though. Except technology and trend are going to change in near future. Besides, MV was born because of "multi platform trend"

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it depends on how well the 1.6.1 version goes over, as the fanbase was really unhappy with 1.6.0, and if the backlash is really bad against 1.6.1 and maybe say 1.6.2 I could see them dropping support then and there and just making a new program, as if they had 2 - 3 bad updates in a row it would be painfully obvious that they need to take the entire engine back to the drawing board and start over with it.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless Kadakowa is going to make one that can be used for porting to gaming consoles, it'll be a minute before we see a new edition. Thanks to the way that MV works, we can continue to update it through patches rather then the work around ways we did in the last couple of iterations, so why waste time and resources on a similar engine unless it was going to do something completely new or different. Like that Pixal Action engine they have coming out in a few months.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hey there everyone! My laptop broke unexpectedly recently and I lost some files I hadn't backed up . . .
Pro tip to anyone looking for advice based on existing game mechanics: a lot of people reading your request won't have played the games you're talking about. Always assume your readers won't have, and explain what the mechanic actually *does* rather than just name-dropping the game. I see this a lot.
 …So I was looking at a question someone had asked and did some related experimentation. Apparently the Jump… movement route command works like the ultimate through. Including letting you move around outside the confines of the map entirely. o_O
Jump.png
Okay so today I heard the dumbest theory I have heard in a loooooooong while. It's so stupid I just have to share... Appearantly I have learned to draw 'hot chicks' so that 'real men' get physically excited by looking at it and I can then swoop in and 'turn' them.... Wow... Just... Amazing how some brains works...
Working on various unique plugins, as well as Knight of the Celestial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumo