When do you predict the next new RPG Maker will arrive?

VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If 1.6.1, 1.6.2 or 1.7.0 also get backlash, then I see the next RPG Maker in 2019, ignoring "Pixel Game Maker MV". But if not, the next RPG Maker will probably be three or four years after PGM MV, or around 2022-2023.

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe MV will be the Unity of Rpg Maker, many updates and things not working cuz of those updates.
This is not a flaw but it's impossible to update an engine and expect that everything will keep working as intended in terms of scripting or how basic funcions are handled.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't see why we would need a new maker though. Except technology and trend are going to change in near future. Besides, MV was born because of "multi platform trend"
We didn't really need a new RPG Maker after 2000, at least not until the point there was demand for people to export their games to mobile.

Pern

Hello
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm enjoying MV a bit more than previous installments. Being able to patch, the wonderful ease of plugins; it's all nice. But a selfish side of me hopes the new RPG Maker wont be for a while just because I like the current, it has a decent amount of resources and I just don't want to transfer again haha.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We didn't really need a new RPG Maker after 2000, at least not until the point there was demand for people to export their games to mobile.
but but, I need/like to write a code :(

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is currently still being updated, I don't see why they would make an entirely new engine when they can continue to update MV instead.

I think we've been spoiled with new engines each time, isntead of simply updating the current one. I'm all for keeping MV around.

AsuranFish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Right now, I’d rather they add ancillary programs, and plugins to expand upon existing features. And I’d gladly pay extra for these programs.

Things like:

Expanded SV_Actor image support and character generator, so we can have more battle poses/attack motions. Action Sequence packs that expand upon Yanfly’s packs, to coincide with the expanded images (think battlers doing flips in battle... true dual wield, uppercuts, kicks... etc)... more of every feature, including body types!

ATB Support would be huge. Yanfly’s is great btw, but it’s hard to tinker with it too much outside of what it’s meant to do.

Expanded Animation editor. A way to precisely execute an animation that requires precision, such as ranged attacks, lasers, any attack that needs to start from a very specific point (user’s gun, palm, eye... for instance), or needs to end at a specific point on the target.

Maybe a way to flag tiles in a play test? I’d find this useful for going through and spotting things that need to be fixed, rather than needing to make a list.

hero_buddy

artist and pro cat petter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
gonna be a few years, for sure. vx ace lasted quite a while, and while i can think of a few features that would be nice in the next RM, MV is quite advanced as it is. they're probably gonna take their sweet time pumping out the next one, and that's a-okay. you know what they say about quality, and how it's better over quantity.

Dankovsky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
RU
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I for one hope they won't release a new one for a very long time. Maybe never.
Releasing new maker is like the WORST thing that can happen to anyone who's making an RPG in RPG Maker right now since it would mean:
- MV support and updates will now be limited
- New DLCs and specific MV-content will probably stop being created
- Plugin makers, coders, content creators will inevitably move to new maker, so no new plugins/updates for MV, much less community content.
- New maker probably will break all plugins and need them to be remade/recoded. So it's a complete franchise "reboot" once again. And by god I hope they won't change tile size and asset standards again (they probably will). Also they're probably change programming language to C# this time just for the heck of it. Just kidding. Hopefully.
- Fanbase will be broken once again
So, um. Please don't release new maker, ever? I know this is pretty short sighted, but why not just patch MV and add new features and stability fixes?

sonny12681

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I hope that the next RPG Maker engine for the year 2020 or 2021 has the ability to design action RPGs without a plugin. Action RPG games are becoming more popular than the old fashion turn base style. I would love to see drop menus in the next RPG Maker engine to create Action RPG games. Plugins and be hard to use and very frustrating so the more automatic a game engine is the better.

sonny12681

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Releasing new maker is like the WORST thing that can happen to anyone who's making an RPG in RPG Maker right now since it would mean:
- Plugin makers, coders, content creators will inevitably move to new maker, so no new plugins/updates for MV, much less community content.
- New maker probably will break all plugins and need them to be remade/recoded. So it's a complete franchise "reboot" once again. And by god I hope they won't change tile size and asset standards again (they probably will). Also they're probably change programming language to C# this time just for the heck of it. Just kidding. Hopefully.
So, um. Please don't release new maker, ever? I know this is pretty short sighted, but why not just patch MV and add new features and stability fixes?

I would love to see all of the popular plugins to become more built in when the next RPG Maker program comes out so that you don't need to have plugins. Unless you want to make a game that was never tried on the mv version. The plugin for designing Action RPGs can be very frustrating so would it be better if the next RPG Maker engine has drop menus for Action RPG design. Action RPGs are becoming more popular than the old fashion turn base style in the mainstream gaming industry anyway.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As much as I still use Ace more than MV, I think its actually best for everyone if they will simply keep MV as "the RPG Maker" and simply keep updating it with new features like how other engines do it..

The only problem I see here is if when there's not much new people buying the program, since they simply update the engine they will need to find new ways to keep money from going in. Other engines keep the money going because of royalties from commercial games made in their engines.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@sonny12681 try not to necropost older threads (this one was from 2018), and don't double post (post underneath yourself), just keep it all in one post :)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought a thread like this is okay to necro?

Speaking of a new maker, I think it's only possible to release a new maker if they want a total overhaul. See for example:
From 2k3 -> XP = Add scripting support. Higher resolution, etc.
From XP -> VX = more multiple auto tiles, better base code
From VX -> Ace = Total database overhaul + more stuff compared to VX, better base code
From Ace -> MV = multi-platform support, change to JS, basically the base engine is also changed.
(Disclaimer: I have no idea what had changed from 2k to 2k3 aside from just ATB/Sideview battle)

I believe If they find it's necessary to make a total overhaul, they will make it. However, so far MV is still your best bet as for today. So they keep updating it.

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes I also think they'll keep updating MV for a while. If they want to follow there normal patterns of releasing a new engine soon, then they'll probably start working on one in a few years after updating MV further. Maybe in 2021? 2022? Sometime then is my guess?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so annoyed with myself...I can't get this code to work so it looks like I'm going the plugin route for a problem I should be able to do myself :kaolivid:Great. Now I get to murder save file compatibility. Again.
Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dankim633