shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite villains are the ones that have a seemingly noble motive, but are going to extreme lengths to accomplish their goals.  Gavin Magnus from

Heroes of Might and Magic 4, for instance, wants to achieve peace in the world by removing everyone's free will and hypnotizing them into mindless zombies.  Zasalamel from the Soul Calibur series had lived too long and wanted to die, and to force his death, powered up Soul Edge by reviving Nightmare and harvesting souls.  The worst kind of evil is the one who believes that they are doing the right thing, no matter how wrong it is.

MRD256

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I decide on how to make villains for my stories, I generally like the cold and serious type, the crazy and sadistic type, split personalities, or just plain creepy, and in my opinion, a villain is not good villain without a backstory or serious motive (and by good I mean well written).

Last edited by a moderator:

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm very fond of villains who have interesting, non-trauma related reasons for their behavior. I like Kefka, because the reason he's so evil is that destruction makes him happy. I also like characters, such as Glados, who genuinely have no idea that what they are doing is bad.

One villain in my game is a profanity-spewing violent lunatic in public because it is his job to be a scapegoat that behaves so maliciously that every single disaster can be blamed on him. When there isn't paparazzi or important figures around, he is docile, curious, and introspective, but when they appear, he makes sure to punch at least one of them and steal an ambulance, because he has a reputation to maintain.

Some other villains are robots that were constructed to fight against their human oppressors, and were programmed to betray them. Unfortunately, the machine who created them went overboard with this, and the robots rebelled against their creators who rebelled against their creators. This caused the rebellion to collapse upon itself and disappear completely in less than three years. Although the stupid and ultimately pointless conflict ended eight decades before my game starts, five of the more advanced robots are still running around, commanding huge legions of followers of all species and allying with other factions just so they can betray them, fulfilling their primary function. It has gotten to the point where the robots, understanding how twisted they are in comparison to the rest of the world, straight up tell you how, why, and when they will betray you so you have a chance to live. Unfortunately, this programming quirk can't be fixed, since the custom language they run on hasn't been used in eighty years.

Another guy randomly attacks people because he accidentally got super high off poisoned water and hallucinates people as tornado-farting giraffes. He gets better.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
not every villain has to have a tragic backstory. sometimes the villain might just simply enjoy doing things their world considers bad, so there's that. 

LunarClassic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I give villains traits of bad / indecent people I've come in contact with in real life.

It works every single time.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!
Oof, this "side project" of mine is starting to get as complex as a VS plugin, at least as far as plugin parameters are concerned. I think I now understand why a plugin like this doesn't already exist(that I know of). Learning a lot while trying to make it work though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeKrasavcec