Where can I get a LOT of Knowledge About Making a game in RPG Maker

yomaniac

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm kind of a newbie to RPG Maker in general but I know all the basics, everything the official tutorials teach me but what I find when I'm making my game is that there is many things that I'm not sure how to do that I've seen in other RPG Maker games. So for some of it there is tutorials on the internet but for other stuff nothing, I read official plugin tutorials but still don't get things working for that plugin and what I wonder about the tutorials that I've seen that work is how do these people know how do this stuff? I'm stuck because I can't get things I want to happen in my game and I've reposted threads on here asking for help on certain things but no luck, I'm just wondering if there is a really good source somewhere that would teach more about the engines, more importantly MV because I'd like to be able to fix a lot of the problems I'm having with it and get stuff to work.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That depends on what are you looking for. But if you really want to know stuff, you gotta learn from the very basic of the things you're going to learn, and most of time it's outside of the RM scope itself. Most of experts I believe did that.

For example, you want to write a plugin, you may want to learn from an actual javascript tutorial (Granted, I'm not writing plugins, so approach might be different from when I learned RGSS) instead of how to write MV plugins. If you want to create a graphics like drawing, you gotta teach yourself how to draw. If you're aiming for pixelart, you gotta know the theories about it.

There're also some active discord servers if you want a quick chat and learn some from them. Some of discord activists are not actively post in forum, so you gonna see some new faces and some new perspectives.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not sure which beginner tutorials you've gone through so I'll post this one as it helped me the most, especially in understanding what all of the actor parameters do.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rpg-maker-mv-beginner-tutorial-series.63526/

As for plugins, you're going to those hit or miss. They are all made by various members of the community and some devs explain and document their plugins better than others. Some plugins were made for earlier versions of the MV engine and haven't been updated (which usually means that the author isn't active on the forums to answer questions any longer).

As for more advanced stuff, you just kind of have to do you best to figure it out and come to the forums when you get stuck and hope someone else here can assist you. There really isn't any other more effective method. There are no online courses or books on Advanced RPG Maker MV or anything like that. It's just too niche. I know this isn't what you want to hear but I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Good luck and try not to get too discouraged. You won't find a more generous community that likes to help others. Another option that you don't want to hear is, maybe try making something a little simpler now. The knowledge you learn from even the most boring, basic game will feed into your knowledge base and spill over into future projects that require more advanced techniques. You'll be able to use that knowledge to better figure out the hard stuff. A couple years ago, I had never used any RPG Maker and had to ask stupid easy questions like, "How do I make a bridge an event and walk across it" (I had to uncheck Through). Since then, I've made a puzzle game with a four character switching mechanic and spike floor traps and another one with a custom action battle system and don't need to ask for help often. It just takes time and patience to get better with engine.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well the forum is a nice place to get help, but the best way to learn is to actually create your first game and follow tutorials online.

As @TheoAllen said, you'll have to learn some stuff that aren't just used in MV, like javascript if you want to code (it is similar to learning rgss3 btw).

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The best way to go is go in and play around with it I would say. You don't get to know a LOT of stuff from just reading and watching videos, because these are things that should be experienced by the person to truly understand them.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
additionally I suggest you follow the links in my signature as I've written those tutorials specifically with the target to get people to learn how to use the RPG-Makers

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello @yomaniac , if you want to learn more about plugins and you could go to Yanfly.moe website, she has many plugins and videos to show how to use.
If you want to draw the digital arts, first you have to pick the drawing softwares and keep doing the drawing.
You just have to play around with the buttons and if you have specific questions about something in the mv. You can get help or get an explanation from support section.
IF you want learn to create your own plugin, you have to learn JavaScript. You go learn from Khan academy or codecadeemy websites.
Depends on your ambition million things or one thing at the same times, please do not expect quick results.

snow91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well my best way to kind of find a way into the rpg maker, was to look for some youtube tutorials. There are many of em to find there. Once you get into the basics, things will getting more and more easy. Make sure to look for some step by step tutorials. Good luck!

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can also try non-encrypted games and play them to see if you come across anything you want to try in your own game. Then, you can open those games in the editor and see how they did it by looking at their eventing.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To be really honest, I found the best way to become an expert was to try adding different creative mechanics to a game (or even to a test project), try to figure out on my own how to implement each one, and Google when I got stuck. RPG Maker is easy enough to play around with that you can start trying stuff without advanced knowledge of the program, and go from there.

Guides and info sources are good, but if you start out with a goal, you'll run into all kinds of practical concerns that you would have never thought of while reading stuff - and figuring out how to handle those concerns is the best teacher.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have to second @Wavelength , the best way to learn about RPGMaker is to just sit down and try to do things with it. That is why we often say don't make your dream game first. Instead, open up a project and try to do things in it you want to be able to do later on in a main project. Want to see if a puzzle game idea will work? Give it a try in that empty project. Want to see if you can event an ABS? Try it with 1 hit slimes and the default party and equipment first. That way you don't get bogged down on "But I NEED this", which always happens if you design around what you want in your game before seeing if you can actually make it happen.

To illustrate this, my game was supposed to have a tactics based battle system similar to the old Jagged Alliance games and the new X-Com. Now that you are done laughing at the thought of me trying to do that in RPGMaker for a 1st project, that was honestly my plan. I learned fast it was not going to happen in RPGMaker easily, so I revised my system into something that would work with what the engine gave me (and the scripts I found) and went from there. The final engine is nothing like what I had planned, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out for this project.

In the end though, one suggestion I can give you is this: Make your first project within the limits of the engine. Don't try to go too far outside it when starting out. See what can be done by default, then once you do that and you see what the limitations are, then try to add scripts/plug-ins. Also if starting out, stick to scripts and plug-ins by one author only. That way you know they work together (or at least they should). If that author doesn't have a script or plug-in for what you want, you do without it. That way at least you avoid incompatibilities due to a mismatch of plug-ins/scripts from 5 different authors which you learn about 6 months in development.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Piggybacking off of @bgillisp's good advice, I want to add that - as long as you keep your expectations set on learning how to do really cool things, rather than making something complete or playable - that you can even go deep with advanced mechanics.

As an example, if you want to try and make an ABS, the one-hit slimes and a single attack skill are probably the best way to start - but if you start wondering "could I create some slimes that would reflect magical projectiles, but you could still destroy them with physical attacks?", then go for it! It will be challenging and time-consuming, but along the way, you'll either figure out how to do some basic RGSS/JS coding, or you'll figure out techniques for transferring and comparing variables in complex ways.

Same for an Item Creation menu: start with a simple series of Message Boxes and Conditional Branches, but if the whim strikes you, integrate a way to select items from a long list, or even figure out a way to implement a graphical interface (very useful techniques to be learnt here).

You'll spend hours doing so and you won't have built any content per se (plus you'll add an extra layer of complexity that every bit of content you do add needs to handle), which is why the first game that you actually attempt to create and complete should be relatively simple. Try for too much complexity in your first game and you'll never get there. But it's fine to go big when you're just playing around in a test project for the sake of mastery, as long as you keep your expectations straight.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Exactly right. That is why my first game I ever made was a simple slay the dragon game. Your entire goal was to get to a high enough level to be able to fight it and win. Nothing more. But because I kept it simple I finished that game in about a week. Was it good? Probably not, as I used all defaults for everything. But it was playable from start to end.

In fact, I someone managed to sell one copy of that game for $5 to a kid in my class. No idea how I pulled that off. I guess maybe it was because we were 12 or so at the time and video games were hard to find and afford.

(Oh, and it was obviously not in RPGMaker. It was some engine called DCPlay or DBGames, I don't exactly remember which one. All I know is it was some engine released in the late 80's/early 90's that let you make Ultima I = III like games with it).

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Exactly right. That is why my first game I ever made was a simple slay the dragon game.

Now if only you had replaced that dragon with a spire, you'd be a millionaire right now!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Wavelength not as badly designed as the rest of that game was

newfarap

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
very good resources here

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.
Mod name: "[Game name] Gameplay Overhaul"
What they actually mean: "Here is a mod that makes the game harder."
I decided to reinstall one of my most favourite game of all times, Gothic 2. Time to get back to Khorinis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christopher626