WHERE can you sell your game? What are the requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickjutsu

Producer for Nic3Ntertainment
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any idea of the profit sharing with these resources. For instance I have read that Steam has a pretty high profit share of 70/30 (Producer/Valve) much higher than a CD retail where I've heard of publishers drooling over a 40/60 split.

That's another factor to be considered in where you try to go to sell your work, and which one to try to urge potential buyers to if you get accepted by more than one distributor. For instance if Amaranth sells your game for $5.00 and gives you a 50/50 split then it is your best bet compared to Big Fish Games who might also sell it for $5.00, but only give a 40/60 split. Of course that's only one factor. Like Shaz mentioned in his original post, BFG has a much bigger source of potential buyers than Amaranth. 40% of 1,000 sales is considerably more than 50% of 150 sales, after all.

But I like to know my bases, personally; so anybody have any info about it?

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I have read that Steam has a pretty high profit share of 70/30 (Producer/Valve)
The same rate applies for Aldorlea and, as far as I know, Amaranthia. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'd imagine that many game hosting sites are similar in terms of rates, although it's typically speculation since those figures are seldom discussed outside of the developer and distributor. However, the difference between Steam and the other sites is that the other sites cater more to the rpg crowd and, most notably, RPG Maker games.

piqueRAJ

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Big Fish?! REALLY?! Awesome I have a few Big Fish Games!

West_Winds

Fun guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This was very informative. Thanks.

ZeroAtEnd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What does that mean no ripped resources?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ripped means they've been taken from other games.

Abi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Jomarcenter

jomarcenter-MJM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENGLISH
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think there should be a note under Big fish game that they may not accepting rpg maker game.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
It was always the case anyway. I mean, it was never guaranteed they would accept a game.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not removing them from the list, or adding anything like that, based on a response one person got, and for which they've provided no feedback to further questioning. I'm sure BFG have rejected a lot of RM games for various reasons. That doesn't mean they're going to reject them all. WE have rejected some RM games. As Indinera says, you never have a guarantee that it's going to be accepted.

If BFG ever come out and announce that they are no longer taking ANY RM games, then I'll remove them from the list completely. That time hasn't arrived yet.

Bashful

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just a quick noob question here so I do apologise for this.

I pay £10 a month for my website, not much on there as of yet but I am hoping as the game grows it will grow lots too.

Is this how much a domain costs or have I just paid for extra pages, screenshots and video footage allowed?

It is with SimpleSite.com if that helps. I also have a free blog with blogger and it just posts the same as my paid site however I just have that one so others may stumble upon that if the other one does not appear in their search results.

I know I can have a blog here as well and I will do in the future as I don't think I have enough information to warrant me having a blog here right now.

Thanks in advance.

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I went to an anime/video game convention last weekend a few days ago.  There was a game developer panel that I went to, it was 21st century publishing and they shared a site that one of them use to sell their indie games.  http://www.rpgnow.com/join.php
So I just thought I'd share and more people can probably look into that too.  Anyone else heard of them before or used the site? 

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I think that's not for videogames.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting - looks like a self-publishing site, rather than a portal.  Downside is they let you publish lots of stuff so their clientele aren't necessarily gamers; upside is that they're dedicated to RPGs.  Would be interesting to see what sort of user base they have (numbers).

Their royalties look a little bit lower than some of the other RPG portals - they'll give 70% for exclusive or 65% for non-exclusive.  This is better than the BIG portals, but not as good as the small ones.  May be worth checking out as another avenue of distribution, but I definitely wouldn't go exclusive with them.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
As I said, I don't think they would accept videogame RPG. This seems to be for paper ones.

That said:

they'll give 70% for exclusive or 65% for non-exclusive.  This is better than the BIG portals, but not as good as the small ones.
Which portal gives you more than 70%??? I need to add my games there lol

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't say anyone gives you better than 70%.  They are offering 70% for exclusive content.  We offer that for NONexclusive.

But on closer investigation, it looks like you're right - they say you can upload your content (which could be software), but computer games is not actually included in their products list.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I understand what you meant now. But 65% ain't too far from 70% to be honest.

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah bugger, yeah seems you're right.  I assumed RPG Games included RPG video games :p , oops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RPGNow sells paper and pencil games and resources for them.

Resources covers things such as mapping software, character portrait packages, mapping symbol sets, and paper miniatures.

You could turn custom battlers, mapping tiles, and charter portraits (face pis) into a product that could be sold on the site with a little work.

You could also make a paper and pencil RPG product that is connected to your RPG Maker game,  Put an add for the RPG Maker game in the back of the paper and pencil product.  Sell your paper and pencil RPG product on RPGNow and sell your Maker game on another site.

Also note that RPGNow does have $0 items on it for sale so you could do something simple like D20 stats for your main characters in your Maker game and have that as a free product to promote your Maker game that you are selling on another site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Monster3,4 added!

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_L7