WHERE can you sell your game? What are the requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeynohito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've personally bought a lot of RPG maker games from Big Fish and Desura. I didn't even know there was a market for RM games before I saw them on BFG, infact.

Word of warning though: I've seen some seriously negative feedback regarding prices on Desura. I don't think anyone there wants to spend more than $5 on -anything-, so they really go for the throat on RPG maker games priced $15 - $20. I can remember spending twice that for janky NES games.

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I noticed the RPG Maker section hasn't ever been updated.  We also now have an RPGgameshq thingy.  So what are the requirements to sell your commercial game there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I'm pretty sure you can contact the staff about it. :)

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is the word "Damn" consider swearing? I think that will be the closest swearing word I have. 

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you'd get away with it. And if anyone does object, at least you know it's there and it wouldn't take much to change it.

Ocedic

Dog
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I assume it varies based on portal, but do the portals listed have exclusivity clauses? Could I hypothetically have a game hosted on both Amaranth and Aldorlea, as well as my own site?

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I assume it varies based on portal, but do the portals listed have exclusivity clauses?

You can have different deals based on that but most portals will take a non-exclusive game if they are interested.

Could I hypothetically have a game hosted on both Amaranth and Aldorlea, as well as my own site?

Yes. That's what we usually do. It's best to have your own website too indeed. ;)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even if a portal offers you an exclusive for your game, you don't have to accept it.

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Even Steam does not make you exclusive, it is honestly really dumb is accept exclusivity. 

Also other portals that the OP did not mentioned.

Desura

indiegamestand

Gamersgate

Humble Store

We should just make a list in the OP of all the portals. 

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
We should just make a list in the OP of all the portals.
There are like 30+ lol

Exclusivity can also mean they get the game first, not that they are the only ones who can sell it. :p

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It can also mean you get a higher % of sales from that portal for the duration, so if you list exclusively with someone who HAS a good RPG fanbase, it can be very profitable.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
There are like 30+ lol

Exclusivity can also mean they get the game first, not that they are the only ones who can sell it. :p
Or in big companies case it might mean upfront payment even. Unless I'm mistaken about the subject.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. No company I know of (portals who actually accept RPG Maker games) will give you up-front payment.

The terms I've usually seen are like this:

- you get a slightly higher % of royalties for the exclusive period

- they may put more effort into advertising your game during the exclusive period

- you may sell the game on your own site at the same time (this might vary from one portal to another)

- you may not list the game for affiliation, but the portal may allow their affiliates to carry the game

- you may not release elsewhere or allow anyone else to affiliate the game until the exclusive period is over

- after the exclusive period is over, your % of royalties drops back down

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
btw, I've tried to download one of the games from Aldorlea Games, and I'm just curious if the buy now thingy before and after opening the demo/trial is automatically added by Aldorlea, or does the game devs do that themselves?

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
The pop-up window within the game is added by the devs. Aldorlea has control of the website and the games they (err, I...) make. ;)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The pop-up window within the game is added by the devs. Aldorlea has control of the website and the games they (err, I...) make. ;)
I see... thanks... I guess I'd need to learn how to do that when the time comes...

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
oh... maybe when I finish this project I'm working on... it's free though... but I'm really curious on how people add these checks to their games... XD

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's keep this on topic, please. Feel free to start a new thread for specific questions about the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Do you have an audio you want me to animate? If so send me the youtube link and I’ll animate it.
Okay, so I'm working on Draft 2 of my game's script.
Will try to keep you guys posted, if you're interested!

This is vid of my new game, Crystalgazers. A demo is available on my Gamejolt

I just thought of the best achievement for my game: "'I Didn't Know You Were a Developer!' Find and enter one or more dev room(s)."
I made this animation to apply to a job, what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjrocks2000