WHERE can you sell your game? What are the requirements?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Shaz, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeynohito

monkeynohito Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm...DLSite has a huge RM selection from Japan (a couple that aren't erotic even) and I know Red Panda has a couple games up there. A friend said it's pretty easy to get a game up, but the English side, at least, doesn't offer much of a market.

Playism is also building up a small catalog of oddball rm titles so they may be open to some western titles.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
    Acetonide likes this.
  2. Gigglemoo

Gigglemoo Member Title Veteran

Indiegamestand just opened up a game store. You get 75% gross.

For more information:

https://indiegamestand.com/developers/

aerocom likes this.
  3. Zyddie

Zyddie Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    You forgot Steam Greenlight, costs a bit money to start but Steam is by far the largest platform.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greenlight was not around when this thread was started ;)

5. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Steam, yes, Greenlight, no. Two very different things.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Does anyone have the actual number of RM games that ARE on Steam at the moment (ie - Steam, not Greenlight)? You'd want to have a good chance at getting a game released on a portal before it gets added to the list in the first post. And as far as I know, Steam doesn't have the numbers yet.

7. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is the only RM game I've found out to actually be on Steam:

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

It's also published by Capcom. Go ahead and try out the demo, yes, it is RPG Maker~ They did an awesome job making it not look like it.

8. Ocedic

Ocedic Dog Veteran

Well, there's To the Moon which also looks more like an RM game. Other than that, I think that's about it.

9. Zyddie

Zyddie Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    You have to go through Steam Greenlight to be allowed to sell on steam hence why I wrote it like that.

10. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You don't necessarily HAVE to.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  11. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    This is probably all off topic, but here is the problem with Greenlight, from what I've seen and read on the forum:

The problem is, you don't have a choice of what you want, it's all up to Valve. Some people thought Greenlight was the only way, but that's been proven multiple times that's not the case. Some thought that if you were completely new, without a backing publisher, and don't have a relationship in the past with Valve, you have to go through GL, but again, that's not always the case.

There's been developers with games already on Steam forced into GL for new projects. Likewise, there's been developers who don't have games on Steam, but were willing to seek a publisher that allowed them to skip GL and go straight to Steam for their first game. There was at least one case of a developer that started with GL, got a publisher, and tried to move into Steam, and Valve told them no, because they felt the developer was trying to circumvent the GL policy. But then another one came and did the same thing, and Valve let them through to Steam. The only difference was, the first one didn't remove their game from GL, whereas the second one did, but it's also rumored that it depends who on Valve comes across your game, whether or not they will enforce the policy of going through GL or allowing you a free pass.

And then there were developers with games on GL, but because of publicity, awards, or reviews, Valve moved them directly into Steam even without the required amount of votes. Speaking of which, Valve has stated multiple times that the votes are only a small fraction of what gets through GL. Valve has the final say, and there's been plenty of time that they've overlooked current top candidates in favor of lesser known games, or games with only half the amount of votes, but felt the votes they did gain in the time they did showed high interest.

Then there is the fact that Valve almost always greenlights WIP's, because of the immediate interest, over games that are finalized and ready to be released into the stores. So even when they finalize these WIP's, chances of them being released (if ever) are still several months or years away. This part makes no sense, because if Valve is in it for money, you'd think they would favor greenlighting completed games over incomplete games that may never been finished.

Not to mention that there doesn't seem to be a dent being made into the amount of GL titles waiting to be voted on. When GL first started, there was about 15 pages of GL titles awaiting votes (with about 500+ total games). Now there's 50 pages worth of games to be voted on (with about 1500+ total games). For every 30 games Valve greenlights, it seems that another 45 to 60 games are ready to be added to the list. The only way to really conquer this and reduce the backlog is to either allow every game to come through (setting up Steam like a sort of app store), removing inactive games that have no chance in hell of being greenlit (which won't happen because it might create an uproar if any of those paid the admission fee), or greenlighting 100+ titles every round (which also probably won't happen because it would hurt sales potential for hyped up games).

The problem isn't Steam, which I agree is a large platform, and can do you wonders if you manage to get your game included in the store. The problem is being considered for Steam in the first place, the uncertainty of Greenlight and where it might lead to in the future, and Valves vague rules and policies which they seem enforce at random.

deaddrift likes this.
  12. Gigglemoo

Gigglemoo Member Title Veteran

There are at least three currently on Steam (two listed, the third I only know because it caused a RGSS error. Not sure if it's public and I don't want to out the dev. I most certainly would not have thought RM from the store page). One was also greenlit today.

I will disagree and say that Greenlight is actually good for selling, but that's a discussion for another thread. :)

13. jabroni

jabroni Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    thanks for the info

14. Ultimacj

Ultimacj Cookie Knight Veteran

First Language:
    Englist
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What about projects have parody's and such?  (More of giving props but also making "fun" or "shout out" to a particular title).  I've seen a lot of movies

and commercial games (but not RPG Maker -- least yet since i haven't played that many).

Example:  Princess in another castle (mario bros) or rock to the knee (skyrim reference)

15. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not really on topic. If you want to discuss that from a commercial aspect, please start a new thread. Thank you.

16. Ultimacj

First Language:
    Englist
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would think that would be part of "covering ones bases/requirements" since i saw the mention of "ripped resources", figured that was covered here.  Thanks  :) .  I'll search the forums prob no point in starting a new thread since this question has already been touched.  This other info is handy though for 3rd party resources, I'll def consider them once my project is finished.

17. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This topic is specifically for companies who will help you distribute your game and THEIR requirements.

Your subject is more global, and would apply to ANY commercial game, regardless of where and how you are distributing it. It is worthy of consideration and discussion, but since it's not related specifically to the distribution channels listed in the first post, I think it deserves its own thread, and don't want this topic to get sidetracked by it ;)

18. Ultimacj

First Language:
    Englist
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The way that's worded makes sense.

19. Tyler Clark

Tyler Clark Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    These are all very valid starting points and I'll be submitting shortly.  Thank you for the help!

20. Rycoria

Rycoria Creator of Riley Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I appreciate this, but my game will definitely not be family friendly, and will definitely fit "excessive violence".

Oops. 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.