Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Sennie, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Prizm Daystar

Prizm Daystar Social Butt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In five years, I'll probably still be a pathetic jackarse, a worthless nobody, and still unable to get anything more than an entry-level part-time dead-end for work, if I can even get that because of an increasing ageism as time passes!

Also, five years is too long of a window!  I'm not the kind of person that plans that far ahead!  I never was!  Adults and teachers would ask me about "what I want to be when I grow up", and I had no idea!  I didn't care!  I WAS A FREAKING GRADE SCHOOL KID WITHOUT A FUTURE DREAM BECAUSE THAT DIDN'T FREAKING MATTER AT THE TIME!  I was more into my games than anything else. 

So I probably stuck with wanting to be a game designer.  That...hasn't really changed much, even after a score and two or three years of: still yet having no idea what to do in order to get there; not considering to ask around to the right people about the right things when it came to learning about game design; one REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE with a programming class in high school because the teacher was a total f^&&*@t who didn't help his students when they had a problem; and generally thinking that dreams are just dreams for a reason -- THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE.

So, you know what?  I actually hate planning ahead for the future.  Maybe half a year at the furthest, if any planning ever happens at all, and even then, it's so slipshod and basic that you'd think I was Monkey D. Luffy when it came to that field.

=======

Despite the following above being true, I'm still going to do stuff with RPG Maker.  I'm not sure what I'll be doing with it, but I'll be doing stuff...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  2. IRHP

IRHP Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Those are my favorite genres! Good luck.

3. amaSenpai

amaSenpai LP: amaSenpai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's good to have goals down and a loose pipeline to follow.

I went back to school last year, so I'm hoping to get transferred to my preferred university by 2017. Then is the process of getting to know people and volunteering my time in hospitals so when I'm looking for a job again... I can get one.

I just want a steady paycheck. I don't want to remain in debt and have my husband feel like he is stuck in a job with no time for leisure.

My son will be turning 7 in five years. So I really hope he becomes a sweet child that loves and is loved by others.

I suppose these are simple wishes. On the bigger side I want to be a famous streamer so people can donate $200 just because. (Still money related??)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  4. Zortik

Zortik The Architect Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @amaSenpai
    Good luck with your schooling / job hunt! The process and stress is awful :C

I also thoroughly understand the hatred of 'golden handcuffs' because of debt. My wife and I are in a very similar situation (2 year old daughter and my wife is barely getting by with a very low paying job).

I hope you become a famous steamer someday and help everyone with their vegetables :3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  5. amaSenpai

amaSenpai LP: amaSenpai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Heh, my phone is not the best place to type out comments. Auto-correct galore. Whether I am a famous streamer or steamer I hope someone still gives me money for it! 

Good luck to you as well. It's hard to keep afloat in life, but we haven't given up!

Zortik likes this.
  6. Sakuri

Sakuri Today is Today Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Probably have a sequel to my game and another new game from a new idea.

7. FlareBlitzed

FlareBlitzed Interdimensional Traveller Member

First Language:
    English
    I see myself the same in 5 years, just with more facial hair...somewhere up high looking down people...on top of a hill or something on a mountain. :3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
  8. FlareBlitzed

FlareBlitzed Interdimensional Traveller Member

First Language:
    English
    Think big, dream big! (-*^_^*-)

9. Strashiner

Strashiner Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    in five years I'll

- Graduate with a CPA and a GPA enough to enter Yale's Masters program

- Start my own LLC  or Work in an accounting firm, in a cubical, alone...

- Make a game about slimes in a jar

- Get a hot wife with boulders I can watch all day

- be happy, and humble, as well, wiser.

I don't even know why I am including this short phrase, but this keeps me motivated each day. Maybe it'll motivate some of you too...

Do not go gentle into that good night. Old age should burn and rave at close of day, rage, rage at the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right, because their words forked no lightning, they, do not go gentle into that goodnight

rage, rage, at the dying of the light.

-Dylan Thomas

sorry if that was lengthy, I am just at browsing around the forums...

10. bigcalsworld

bigcalsworld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Probably still working on my first RPG lol.

But seriously, I'd like to have some sort of full time PERMANENT job (sick of getting random temp jobs here and there that only last a couple of months at a time, with about a year of unemployment between them), and have enough money to be able to live on my own (or with someone special... if I find someone in the next 5 years!).

Ideally I'd like my YouTube channel to have gotten big (not expecting it to ever get to the point where it's my full time job... but a little extra cash from it would be nice), and for my first game to have been completed and released and not shat on by the 4 people who will actually play it.

11. Yeaster

Yeaster Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hopefully *gasp* published.  In five years, I would like to have a nicer job and a condo. That's all.

I'd be really disappointed in myself if I still have roommates at 32. I want to own something.

12. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    In five years time... still bashing and slicing those pesky slimes during my free time!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  13. Corrupted Ralph

Corrupted Ralph The World Breaker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A few words...

Final Fantasy if it did not go 3D

14. The_Trinity

The_Trinity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In five years time, hopefully I'll have finished/be near the end of my schooling, have at least one RPGmaker game commercial release (preferably on Steam), and be much closer to achieving my dream job as a designer at Bethesda Softworks.

Sennie likes this.
  15. DustyZiroto

DustyZiroto The one guy who never left XP Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In all honesty, I don't see myself changing that much aside from getting a job, and living on my own.

Aside from that, I don't think I'll change to much.

16. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Getting into Bethesda is easier said than done lol...

Where do I see myself in 5 years? I better be in a different state and have started up my business. 

I'd be 32 as well, dang... it feels like yesterday I found Rm95... and I was 8, and anime (while horribly dubbed) was on TV!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  17. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I turn 32 in like, 3 months. aha, ha, ha... ha ;_;

Bonkers likes this.
  18. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're so young!

mlogan and Touchfuzzy like this.
  19. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

I have a friend of a friend who is 31 and still lives with his parents - BUT, he works a really good job and is putting himself in a position to put a good deal of money down on a house. I'm sure if you take the right steps (whatever those are), it'll happen. Your own condo and getting published! What kind of book(s) have you/are you writing?

I understand all the hype around your twenties, but that is the "make mistakes trying to find your way" time. At least I believe so. I figure by your 30s, you know what you want and are making a steady bee-line there. You're only as old as you feel, Fuzzy.  ;)

--

As for me.. I've been thinking about the next 5 years a lot, lately. I wish I had a more definitive idea of what it is I want, because most of it is abstract. I DO know that, in 5 years, I plan to have all of my debt paid off; I plan to clear my loan-scholarship and the loan I had to take out my senior year of college (I ALMOST made it through debt free *snaps fingers*).

While doing that, I hope to progress my music making career. I plan to attend GDG/Film Festivals  and Game Audio conferences (can't do much of that now, financially). Start to MEET people that work in the game industry face to face as well as connect with other passionate  developers and audio designers.  By then, I hope to have acquired a very nice showreel/sets of skills so that when I hand out my  card, or show them my site, they are nothing less than impressed. I am still debating whether to go to college for it.

Anyway, traveling is a high priority ( my ultimate goal is to live overseas for a time), and also, personally, improving my ability to connect with others and maintain healthy friendships. I am eager to date, but in my opinion, if I can't keep in touch with friends, stay close to people I care about, I'm not ready for a relationship. Also, initiating healthier lifestyle habits! I used to average 18 miles a week at the least, and now I can barely get through 5.  Lastly, my father has been in prison for 10+ for a crime he was wrongfully accused of. My sister, brothers and I are looking to push a book he has written to pay for a lawyer and get his case recognized so that he can come home.

So, in 5 years, I hope to have achieved a:

Healthier (able to maintain a healthy weight of 160 pounds, averaging 18+ miles a week)

Debt free

Working as a full-time music composer

living (or having traveled) overseas

established close, caring relationships with

a ton of audio/designer friends, developer/director contacts/friends

and just good f'ing people in general

with my Dad, safe and sound at home,

life.

Sorry for the long post, guys. This is a really great topic!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  20. Corrupted Ralph

Corrupted Ralph The World Breaker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    And I am only 16 xD

I feel ohh so horribly young now. Congratulations internet. You have dragged me in way too soon I guess.