RM2k/3 Where the Moon Goes at Night (Demo available)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by 16bitking, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 16bitking

16bitking Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    For roughly the past two years, I've been working on a game called "Where the Moon Goes at Night".
    Inspired by the RPGMaker classic Space Funeral, the Japan exclusive Giftpia, and the cult classic Earthbound (MOTHER 2), I set out to create a unique approach to the RPG genre: stat growth is impacted very little by leveling up, and instead is influenced by exploration of the environment. Discovering secret bosses and completing challenges are rewarded with EXP and stat growth.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In Where the Moon Goes at Night, you play as a Shiba, a young slaryman who falls asleep on a train, and wakes up on the mysterious Tatentai Island. On your journey to return home, you'll discover an unusual world populated by a plethora of unusual characters and strange monsters (and usually both).
    The game's current demo is around half an hour or so long (depending on how well you're able to navigate, and which bosses you fight), and contains several secrets.
    -MECHANICS AND FEATURES-
    When Shiba's HP becomes low, the music will become slow and fade out, reminding players to make decisions carefully and try to remedy their health.
    [​IMG]
    The game's text boxes are formatted somewhat akin to early internet forums ala 4chan. General information is displayed in red, whereas speech is displayed in green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Secret bosses that reward exploration of the game's environments.
    [​IMG]
    -THE WORLD-
    Where the Moon Goes at Night is set on the mysterious Tatentai Island. Once a thriving small city, a mysterious event caused bloodthirsty monsters to start appearing all over Tatentai Island.

Play the demo here: https://gamejolt.com/games/wherethemoongoesatnight/408644. Please feel free to give feedback, I appreciate all comments on the game: positive or negative!

FAQ:
    >When will the game release?
    November of 2019.
    >How long will the full game be?
    It's approximately the same length as Space Funeral, so like an hour and a half, but it can be longer or shorter depending on how many secret bosses you fight, and how much you explore environments.
    >Who's making the game?
    I make all the in-game art and program all the scenarios, some of my friends like Chrispy (playtester for Rivals of Aether), Forecaster, and Cobysoft Joe (developer of the game Dome-King Cabbage) provide me with feedback when I need it, and my friend Yo (developer of the game Nimaruroku) motivated me to start taking this project a lot more seriously. The custom music tracks for the game were made by LFOB and Robert Kilpatrick.

Again, I welcome all feedback, whether that be positive or negative.

Cheers!
    -Bit

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Hyouryuu-Na, Ego, Ibuki and 6 others like this.
  2. Jayje

Jayje THE Lone Indie Cheese! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I like the concept behind this ALOT!

3. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I'm updating the game, due to criticism I've received regarding the game's high difficulty. I take full responsibility for all criticism, though I'd like to address the changes more closely:
    Some elements I felt were appropriate to change:
    >I will be removing all chance drop items (specifically, the Q-Cumbers early on in the game). It goes counter to the rest of the game's strategic elements, and it was a stupid idea to begin with.
    >Shiba's skills will be altered. "Cell Beam" now does more damage and it should vary less in damage it dealt, and "Small Jolt" has a reduced MP cost.
    >Enemy attack speeds will be reduced or increased where it's appropriate.
    >Some areas are slightly tweaked to be less redundant.
    Some elements I felt were inappropriate to change or elements I was unable to change:
    >The hotel boss's immunity from the "Small Jolt" ability will still remain, although it's now made more apparent to the player.
    >The player's basic attack is, as far as I'm currently aware, not able to be scaled in RPGMaker 2003. This is a change I would love to have made, but it's just not possible at the moment.
    >The secret bosses. They are deliberately designed to be extremely difficult, and this makes the stat growth gained from defeating them more earned.
    >The more secretive plot elements won't be spelled out. That'd just make it boring.

Jayje likes this.
  4. BitBrosGames

BitBrosGames *Keeps ruminating* Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Hi! I really enjoyed your demo, especially the art!
    Just sent you some issues I've found. Hope it helps.
    Keep up the hard work and let us see a full version soon!

5. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    It really helped! Thank you for the feedback, it really helps me make a good final product.

6. Korthulhu

Korthulhu Immortan Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As a big fan of Space Funeral, I can definitely say this gave me a very similar vibe! Very well done! Can't wait to see more!

7. Akiyama

Akiyama Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    OMG! Earthbound influenced RPG!!!!!

8. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    The Space Funeral influence draws heavily from the humor elements, and some of the overall strangeness, so hopefully that came across! I'm glad it has a similar vibe!

Korthulhu likes this.
  9. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I've begun actively working on the game. Hopefully this means I'll be able to share a lot more frequently.
    ezgif-2-d2eb4ed2d946.gif
    New animations have been added for Shiba, as to make him more expressive. I know the game is quite challenging for some players, so a new death animation has been added, which at the very least adds a bit of visual flair and makes dying more visually interesting.
    Preview8.png
    I'm also working on more plot-related events and scenarios. This area should come shortly after the end of the demo.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    A fairly large new update is imminent (most likely, it will release sometime in early-mid October). This update includes:
    >Revised tile sets in earlier parts of the game (namely the first two cave areas)
    >A few balance changes
    >At least two fairly large new areas
    >At least one new secret boss, and one new main story boss (you've already seen the new main story boss)
    >More expansion of the game's lore (although I can't guaranteed things will be spelled out directly)
    >The initial "flashback" sequence after the cave areas has been removed completely due to it's lack of importance, and general tendency to confuse players
    My design consultants have called this "probably one of the more substantial updates" to the game thusfar, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm very excited to release this update in the near future, because it really adds a lot to the game and I hope people will enjoy all the new additions I've made!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  11. katharine

katharine Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any possibility for a MacOS demo? It gives me a bit of a LISA vibe on top of everything else and I'm curious as to what the game is like.

Treynor likes this.
  12. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Although I know it's technically possible to release RPGMaker 2003 games on Mac platforms, I personally don't know how to do so (although it's something I'll look into for the final game). The LISA vibes are somewhat expected; I got my start working on LISA: The Hopeful, and what eventually became LISA: The Pointless's Monster Update (which at the time was called "Agony Mode", and simply increased the game's difficulty).

13. katharine

katharine Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    100% just realized now that I'm blind and didn't even notice that it was an RM2k/3 game. My bad!! It's been so long since I've used anything except MV that I forget anything earlier doesn't really have Mac compatibility, lol. But that's interesting to know! I love that aesthetic and I'll definitely give feedback if I ever come across a recording, Let's Play, or the like. Good luck!!

14. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    The update has officially been released! It includes three new bosses, various over world improvements (which serve to make locations more recognizable, and to balance the difficulty a bit), and a lot of new lore development. This easily adds quite a significant amount to the game's total playtime, and I hope you enjoy it!
    https://gamejolt.com/games/wherethemoongoesatnight/408644

Marquise* likes this.
  15. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Hey there again!
    Snowy1.png
    Just stopping by to inform you that a new update for the demo is available, adding a large new area called "Mount Parade", and expanding more on the lore than the last update. I hope you enjoy!

BitBrosGames, Ego and Marquise* like this.
  16. BitBrosGames

BitBrosGames *Keeps ruminating* Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I really enjoyed the demo you released in August. I'll play this version as soon as I can! :)

17. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    Since August, the game has more or less doubled in size, and I expect the final game will have at least tripled from the August demo.

18. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This looks pretty interesting. Cool art style and I love rpg maker 2k3. I’ve downloaded the demo and will give it a shot and let you know my thoughts.

19. 16bitking

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I hope you enjoy it!
    RPGMaker 2003 is pretty great, yeah. I think it's the most accessible version of RPGMaker because of Yume Nikki and OFF, so I think this will make downloading Where The Moon Goes At Night more easy for people less familiar with RPGMaker.

20. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I managed to play the demo today.

It’s got an Undertale vibe to it. More so than Earthbound, I would say. The gameplay is good in the sense that you are rewarded with exploration and I liked the different skills you can use in battle.

I thought graphically it was good. My only issue is that with the character sprites—when you move up or down it kinda looks like he’s floating? There’s probably another walking frame you could include that makes it more seamless.

Also, the story—you just wake up in this place with no explanation. I’m not sure who the character is or even that he was sleeping in the train (I got this information from the reading blurb in your post). You can probably do a better job of explaining this stuff at the beginning. There doesn’t have to be a reason for why he’s in this island, but it should be obvious that where he lands is not his every day world. I know the island he ends up in is strange and weird but how am I supposed to know that’s not his every day experience?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.